My 1999 XJ build thread

cleanEG

Observer
New here and thought I would share my 1999 Cherokee XJ build. I picked it up with 215k miles , 31" Duratracs, RE budget boost lift, cut fenders, KC lights and plenty of scratches from offroad use. My goal with this build is make it a reliable wheeling/expedition type rig. I dont want a trailer queen or a daily driver, but something that I can drive several miles to trails, explore and drive home. So the fun begins....

jeep1.jpg

First off, I needed to address some issues.

1. To pass smog it needed a new cat, so I had CA approved cat put on $$
2. Changed plugs/cap/rotor/wires
3. Replaced oil filter flange o-rings
4. Replaced blown RE shocks with some procomp 9000s (hopefully these will get me going until I figure out the suspension)
5. Replaced front wheel bearing with timken

A couple weeks later I noticed the heater core was leaking so it was time to address it. While I was in there I replaced the AC Evaporator and Accumulator and all the O-rings. This was fun.....

heatercore.jpg

Now that I have working heat and no AC leaks, I should be good to go for any type of weather.

Next it was due for a bumper upgrade, so I picked up an OR-Fab winch bumper for the front. I also found a used JCR rear bumper that eventually will get a custom rear tire carrier.

DSC_0200.JPG

DSC_0217.JPG

The OEM headlights suck so I added some Trucklite LEDs that made driving at night much more enjoyable.

DSC_0221.JPG

Before getting into the suspension, I wanted to start with protecting it. Since the rear diff cover on my Chrysler 8.25 had seen better days and was leaking a bit of diff fluid, it was time to pick up something more solid. I went with Ruffstuff diff covers and XJ full length frame stiffeners. In the next couple weeks I'll be adding the diff covers with lube locker gaskets.

ruffstuff.jpg

DSC_0204.JPG

I'll post more as I continue to work on this project. :)

Last edited:

cleanEG

Observer
You are off to a fantastic start. The ORF bumper is my favorite on the xj.

I thought about building one, but I was really digging the ORFab bumper and had to splurge. I still need a winch, but I have a few more things to do first before I pick one up. :)

rammland

Observer
I thought about building one, but I was really digging the ORFab bumper and had to splurge. I still need a winch, but I have a few more things to do first before I pick one up. :)
Just jeep in mind when you pick the winch out, that the control box is a pain to mount. Smaller is better.

cleanEG

Observer
Installed the RuffStuff rear diff cover and LED trailer lights into the bumper. I also added a trailer harness in the event I need to tow a small trailer someday.

1222150717.jpg

cleanEG

Observer
Looks like a good one to start with. Keep the updates coming

Thanks! It's coming along pretty good. I have Spartan locker for the front on it's way which will get installed sometime in the next couple weeks. Due to the cold temps in SoCal lately the 3 year old battery ran low so it was time to change it out. I wanted to go AGM due to the vibrations encountered on washed out roads I like to travel in the Desert. I went with the new Interstate MT7-34 which is rated at 800 CCA and plenty of reserve capacity to run my fridge and electronics. Eventually I'll probably add another one for a dual battery setup after I pick up a winch.

1222152101a.jpg

mtlove91

Thanks for taking care of my old jeep. I'm glad to see you doing all things I wanted to do to it.

I'm already on working another XJ. I hated to see that one go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cleanEG

Observer
Thanks for taking care of my old jeep. I'm glad to see you doing all things I wanted to do to it.

I'm already on working another XJ. I hated to see that one go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's awesome! It's been a pleasure working on it and improving upon an already good build :) Shoot me some pics of your new XJ when you get a chance!

cleanEG

Observer
Updating the thread with some more progress. I picked up a front spartan locker, but haven't had the time to install it. I think I'll wait until I do the suspension and re-gear the Jeep to 4.56 and throw the locker in at that time. In the meantime, I decided to build some car drawers. Took me a while, but they turned out nice....

0102161820.jpg

0118161534.jpg

And my favorite upgrade/splurge/indulgence is my new ARB fridge! I finally pulled the trigger on one just before Christmas and it's everything I imagined it would be... AWESOME.

0118161544.jpg

cleanEG

Observer
Next upgrade was a 2-way radio -- As a new ham, the Baofeng UV5R was cool and worked for a while, but it was time for a mobile rig. I picked up a Yaesu 1900r 2m to start with and a Diamond 1/2 wave antenna. Figured it would be better served up and out of the way between the visors. Great radio so far!

0118162035b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke