NYC to Moab and beyond

whiskeytacos

Observer
Howdy. A friend and I are sitting in our hotel room eager to start the White Rim Trail tomorrow. We left NYC early Monday morning, and made several stops along the way to see family/friends,as well as a night camping in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

The welcome in Moab in the off season was certainly not the warmest. We stopped in for some food and beers at Moab Brewery, and were instantly sized up by many and questioned by a local. We eventually left before things got hairy with a few drunk oatrons (it was 7pm).

We are 2600 miles into this adventure, and I have another 21 days on the road. Here's to a few fun days in Canyonlands National Park. In about 10 days I'll be running the Old Mojave Road with my wife.

The vehicle: 2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road, Bilstein 5100s, ToyTec coils, ToyTec AAL, Softopper, Cooper Discoverer ATP 265/75R16, custom Maxtrax and Rotopax mounts, and way too much gear. I'll check in after the trail.

EDIT: trip completed. Write up underway at http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/153276-Pavement-pounding-9739-miles-in-24-days-Part-1

Last edited:

unkamonkey

Explorer
It is sort of strange that you were getting grief in Moab. Most of the people know that the $ is from the tourists. I have never had a problem there in the 30 or so years that I have been going there. Then again, the last time I was there I was 6' tall and people would just look at my hands and figure I wasn't a person to start a fight with. Lots of places out there to explore. snow this time of year could add to the challange. Top of the World, Fins 'n things, Needles District, Lavender Canyon, Elephant Hill. Of course there is Arches National Monument. I always recomend driving out from the north side of town on 128. just a paved road but worth the drive.

al415

Observer
Without pictures I'm going to assume this is a fantasy, concocted in some Greenpoint dive bar.

doubleroses

Adventurer
Small world! It was nice meeting you guys out there on the trail. You guys were the only people we saw out on the trail. We eventually ran the whole thing and got home by 1am on Tuesday. Good luck with the rest of your trip!
10532361_1043479925715212_1538220411237115967_n.jpg

whiskeytacos

Observer
Small world! It was nice meeting you guys out there on the trail. You guys were the only people we saw out on the trail. We eventually ran the whole thing and got home by 1am on Tuesday. Good luck with the rest of your trip!
View attachment 321147

Hey! Good meeting you guys as well. I love your Landcruiser. I got a little worried for you all when the sun went down and the wind picked up but figured you'd make it out alright.

We saw a couple of hikers climbing through a wash a few miles from the Labrynth campsite but didn't see a vehicle anywhere, so that was a weird experience.

jlutzcurtis

You guys rock. Having busy in traveling is the most expected thing I would like to see in my life. You guys are very inspiring. Have fun and enjoy the long trip.

Mud Dawg

Observer
Between the lack of pics and people having really dangerous looking hands, not sure about this thread... :Jackie Chan meme:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles