Aberdeen Washington: 2002 Suburban 4x4 z71 G80 Adeventuremobile/home/photostudio

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Have you considered a 255/80/17 tire? About the same width as a 265/70/17 but as tall as a 285/70/17. I'm a firm believer in 10 ply tires on any full-size, especially a heavy burb. A little rougher ride but worth the extra insurance of a stronger tire usually helps with road hazards.

I plan to do the 255/80/17 Cooper ST maxx and Fox 2.0 shocks come spring time on my GMT800 1500HD.

rayra

Expedition Leader
10ply is not a bad idea in our regional terrain, either. Lots and lots of sharp rocks around here.

Whatever you shop for I suggest keeping sidewall protection in mind. Borrego, Mojave, Jawbone, Death Valley, east side of the Sierras, laugh at your puny sidewalls

/Crom

I bought my Geolanders in a bit of a hurry a year ago. I'm happy enough with them, my driving is 99% asphalt / highway with them to date. That (and availability and price) drove my choice. I needed a pair of tires the day I bought it and went ahead and sprung for 4. Their sidewall protection is touted by Yokohama, but it's really kind of notional. Maybe good on a crushed-gravel road or stream-bed at lowered pressures. But there's really nothing there at the widest cross section of the tire, so if you are traveling over rip-rap or rubble bigger than your fist, they might not last long if you are unlucky or don't pay careful attention. They'll serve me fine on the fire service roads and occasional dry wash I fart around in.
At 5-6kmi/yr I won't come close to wearing these out before they dry rot, so I might sell them off in a year or two and replace them with something more aggressive, with more sidewall protection. By then my desert excursions should be in full swing again.
Or maybe just some All-Terrain T/A KO2(s). I've had good experiences with All Terrains over the decades.

I'm not opposed to Treadwright's retread tires, either. They've got some nice options. Just have to read up on people's experiences in the type of high heat hard-scrabble air-down I'm likely to do. Seems like a worse case scenario for a retread.
http://treadwright.com/collections/filter/products/g2817e?variant=5386781763

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the site Kins and thanks for letting us know about your plans. The `Burb´is a great vehicle and I am sure you 2 are going to love it. Please keep us posted with pics and progress of your adventures. Cheers, Chilli..:)

kins18q

Adventurer
I went with Fox 2.0 on my GMT800 burb, and it rides much better than the stock suspension

I think the factory shocks are bilstein?? I would like something that will ride as well but be able to accommodate a couple inches of lift...would the fox be the best option? Rough country? Longer bilsteins?

kins18q

Adventurer
I have been trying to find some underside protection as well. Can't really find sliders. Maybe a differential plate? What is most important to cover up? I think it already has one skid in the front...on the oil pan?

I have been thinking about how to keep from ripping off the electrical bits on the tow piece in the back. Won't be towing so I'm thinking about removing the tow bar completely. What would I use for a recovery point then? And I assume the front tow hooks could withstand a snatch strap recovery?

kins18q

Adventurer
Have you considered a 255/80/17 tire? About the same width as a 265/70/17 but as tall as a 285/70/17. I'm a firm believer in 10 ply tires on any full-size, especially a heavy burb. A little rougher ride but worth the extra insurance of a stronger tire usually helps with road hazards.

I plan to do the 255/80/17 Cooper ST maxx and Fox 2.0 shocks come spring time on my GMT800 1500HD.

Taller but not wider sounds perfect. I'll looking into that size. I want something not too agressive. Good on highway and quiet but can still hold their own.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I have been trying to find some underside protection as well. Can't really find sliders. Maybe a differential plate? What is most important to cover up? I think it already has one skid in the front...on the oil pan?

I have been thinking about how to keep from ripping off the electrical bits on the tow piece in the back. Won't be towing so I'm thinking about removing the tow bar completely. What would I use for a recovery point then? And I assume the front tow hooks could withstand a snatch strap recovery?

The front hooks are plenty strong. The trailer hookups I'm thinking of cutting off and mounting higher. Might even put the trailer connect up in the bumper, face left of the plate light. And raise or replace the safety chain loops up high so only the square receiver hitch tubing is hanging down. And I'm thinking about a weldign a 1/4 plate steel shoe / ski to the bottom of it that will let me drag *** without getting it hung up. That or the roller idea. Have to make some measurements, look into that some more. Weld a couple side plates to the recevier tube, that project down an inch or so. Use a hardened bolt with some bearings on it or a section of thick wall pipe around it, to act as a roller. Got to be something that can take a few thousand pounds without crushing.

True sliders, I haven't looked, somebody has to be making some for trucks if not the SUVs.

The front plate is good. Something is needed for the transfer case and the rear yoke. And some sort of protection low front. Where that plastic phony chin plate is. I'm thinking prerunner style with a perforated plate to keep up the airflow. Worried about running it up on some boulders and smashing the **** out of the steering.

p17.jpg

Something like this plate -

DSCN7588.png

kins18q

Adventurer
Tires

Trying to decide between:
265/70 17 124/tire 31.6 x 10.4
245/75 17 99/tire 31.5 x 9.7
235/80 17 109/tire 31.8 x 9.25

Or go up in size to 285/70 17 144/tire 32.7x11

Whatever I choose will be E rated Treadwright Warden. Thoughts?

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
I'll vote for 255/80/17. Not alot of selection out there though. 235/80/17 (what I use for winter) are too narrow for the stock alloy wheels IMO. They are too stretched out, I'll be changing mine to steel OEM wheels which are 1" or 1.5" narrower.

Guy at work has those treadwrites, on his third set now. These ones burnt off in no time, a bit less than a year driving and they are weather cracked beyond belief. The last set was better, or pretty decent. The first set was replaced under warranty because one of the treads was starting to separate and another one had a broken belt. These are in a V8 crew cab Dakota, not a big heavy truck by any means.
Anyhow, I believe tires are usually a "get what you pay for" item. I'd spend the couple hundred dollars more on a set of decent brand tires.

Last edited:

toastyjosh

Adventurer
go with the 265/70/17 there really common so if you blow one you have a good chance and finding another in the middle of nowhere.
There are lots of option in that size as well. I have had good luck with duratracks, BFG ats, and discovery maxx. I would stay away from treadwrights with the kind of miles you will be putting on.
Also carry a tire plug kit and a can of fix a flat with you at all times.

A box on the top of the burb would be a good add on as well. They hold lots of stuff and it keep the wet stuff out of the inside.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have 285/70/17 on my suburban z71. I love them. Perfect size. Also, have the torsions cranked. I am taking the ford keys that are on my f150 and putting them on the burb and adding H2 rear springs. I have Monroe monoshocks and they are AWESOME. super smooth and controlled. Love seeing the big dogs being built up. there is a Tahoe on here built nicely. its an 02 as well if I remember. But search it out. Its built perfect for what your looking at.

dar395

Adventurer
Before you get to far into the build I would try to think everything removable. That said instead of a kitchen, I'd research a "Chuck Box" find a good plan with the legs acting as the carrier. My water would be 1-2 gallon containers so that I could easily move outside, place on roof, fill in a washroom, use on my Chuck Box. I would invest in a great tent that connects to the rear of the truck; look at the "Napier 86000" model think about porta potty at night the screen room with no floor could work as a shower room, with your chuck box and folding table dining inside while the bugs are outside may be nice if you're really thinking about the road for a year. My tires would be much different I'd go with something simple such as Firestone TransForce A/T 10 ply, stones cut and these are strong tires which work well on the highway as well, CB Radio I'd thing is a plus and cheap, 12v TV and a radio mounted near the rear hatch, a year in a burb is a long time, these would need to be connected to a "House Battery". You could think of two in one travel vehicles while planning the build: The first plan would be "we don't need to sit up at all just pull into the parking lot crawl in back and go to sleep, the second put the tent up, sit up camp and stay a week!

En-joy your Dream!:camping:

kins18q

Adventurer
go with the 265/70/17 there really common so if you blow one you have a good chance and finding another in the middle of nowhere.
There are lots of option in that size as well. I have had good luck with duratracks, BFG ats, and discovery maxx. I would stay away from treadwrights with the kind of miles you will be putting on.
Also carry a tire plug kit and a can of fix a flat with you at all times.

A box on the top of the burb would be a good add on as well. They hold lots of stuff and it keep the wet stuff out of the inside.

Yea, might be a good idea to stay away from the treadwrights. Will keep looking. Already planning on the roof box. Great idea! planning on storing high volume/low weight stuff. I think we will be able to fill the whole thing with winter down clothing during the warmer months :) I am kicking around a really simple 1 inch tubular webbing weave platform between the second and third crossbars for tossing wet stuff on top. Should be super cheap, super light and significantly stronger than the crossbars themselves. That's up next after I finish the awning.

kins18q

Adventurer
Before you get to far into the build I would try to think everything removable. That said instead of a kitchen, I'd research a "Chuck Box" find a good plan with the legs acting as the carrier. My water would be 1-2 gallon containers so that I could easily move outside, place on roof, fill in a washroom, use on my Chuck Box. I would invest in a great tent that connects to the rear of the truck; look at the "Napier 86000" model think about porta potty at night the screen room with no floor could work as a shower room, with your chuck box and folding table dining inside while the bugs are outside may be nice if you're really thinking about the road for a year. My tires would be much different I'd go with something simple such as Firestone TransForce A/T 10 ply, stones cut and these are strong tires which work well on the highway as well, CB Radio I'd thing is a plus and cheap, 12v TV and a radio mounted near the rear hatch, a year in a burb is a long time, these would need to be connected to a "House Battery". You could think of two in one travel vehicles while planning the build: The first plan would be "we don't need to sit up at all just pull into the parking lot crawl in back and go to sleep, the second put the tent up, sit up camp and stay a week!

En-joy your Dream!:camping:

In the works for comfort and convenience are: Side awning, hanging shelf/counter for cooking under the awning, dual battery/solar, fridge, sleeping platform. If we are in good weather we prefer to sleep out in sleeping bags on a tarp. Infinite head room that way. In bad weather/urban environments, we will deal with the low headroom on the sleeping platform. For water we've got a LCI 5 gallon jerry can and MSR dom bags. I'm thinking about a spout for the jerry can to use like a sink.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94