2001 Suburban 1500 for towing?

mchambers

Observer
Ok I have been floating around the idea of putting BOB (big ole Burban) up to some towing duty. It is a stock 4 wheel drive LT 5.3 and 3.73 rear end with 136,000 on the clock. Runs great, doesn't leak any fluids and I love driving it like it is. I replaced calipers and discs when I bought it and am running Wranglers on the stock wheels now.
What would you check and change before starting to pull with it? Already figured on new ujoints and shocks. I try to keep as stock as possible for reliability and want to stay under 7 feet tall. (Yeah I know, what's wrong with me??)
So what do you think??
Any websites to read up that I have missed?

Ramblejam

Observer
Specifically, what sort of towing did you have in mind?

Is it already equipped with the factory towing package, auxiliary transmission cooler, and transmission temperature gauge?
Have you installed a brake controller?

mchambers

Observer
Looking at a travel trailer. Dry weight is 4,500 pounds. Not very sexy or expeditionish but I think it is the best chance to get the wife and kids out of the house, away from the various screens and actually moving!
I do have a brake controller installed already. No trans temp gauge (need to research and see if 2001 can use the reader and smart phone app) and to be honest not sure about the trans cooler.

Ramblejam

Observer
Find a scale and figure out your weights (with the trailer in tow, family on-board, and everything all loaded up).

Suburban GVWR - 7,200

With the 4L60 transmission, it's critically important to keep things cool; these aren't exactly known for stellar reliability, especially when towing. A big cooler and good fluid helps immensely.
The 5.3L, which an excellent engine, doesn't exactly makes heaping volumes of low-end torque. In combination with the old four-speed automatic, expect RPM's to soar.
The 10-bolt rear axle is much like the transmission -- not a great choice for hard work. Changing out the fluid though (to a quality 75w-90 synthetic) is inexpensive insurance.

Take a picture of the "Service Parts Identification" tag, which is located in your glovebox. This will let us know what factory options this truck was equipped with.

mchambers

Observer
I was told that the trans was rebuilt by the dealership before I bought it. It was owned by the dealer and he kept it at his beach house and used it to pull his boat to the ramp and back. When I got it the tires were practically new but were dry rotted so I think it did more sitting than anything.
Using a 15 year old engine to tow kind of makes me think twice! I could just drop in a fresh crate motor but I could almost buy another vehicle for that price. Thought about trading for a newer model with a larger motor but I REALLY like BOB!
I will get a picture tomorrow of the codes in the glove box.

poncho62

And....tow in 3rd gear, not overdrive. Those 4L60e overdrive is not real strong. Your engine will rev a bit higher (2200 rpm or so) but you will get just as good of mileage.

Ramblejam

Observer
Using a 15 year old engine to tow kind of makes me think twice!

As long as it's received new plugs/wires recently, that 15 year-old 5.3 is just about the last thing I'd worry about.

So many other things (transmission, rear axle, suspension) to be concerned about in regards to decent/reliable towing.

Those 4L60e overdrive is not real strong.

Agree. Without a dedicated lube circuit, towing appreciable loads in OD with this transmission is not a wise decision.

Last edited:

justcuz

Explorer
If towing I would change the rear axle oil every year. Other suggestions are good too, especially the trans cooler.
The stock rear springs are not so great for towing. The part numbers for Hummer H2 springs are posted in "Avalanche build anyone" thread at the top of page 9. They are like a cargo coil with progressively wound coil bind built into them. I frequently haul six people and our gear and it barely settles on those springs.

Last edited:

oldestof11

Observer
You guys are over analyzing it.

My parents have 11 kids. Vacation starts with packing a trailer. Since 4 of us have moved out and another looking, they go on more vacations now.

6x12x6 single axle torsion beam trailer with luggage is what they use.

They have an 05 LT 1500. 212k miles now. They bought it with 90k miles. At 190, trans went out. Dad always towed in OD with Tow/haul engaged. TH ups the line pressure and changes shift points. It won't shift into OD until 62mph. It readily downshifts if you're under 70mph and you give it throttle.

They love the thing.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I've posted some lengthy stuff about towing with these vehicles. But it's been a while, you'd have to dig for it.

Look in your glove compartment door for the sticker listing your vehicle codes. GT4 is 3.73 gears. Z82 is the factory tow package. That will be further evidenced by having the 'tow' button in the end of your gear shift lever. This changes the computer set points for engine / trans shift points. Pressing it will activate the system and a yellow indicator light will show in the instrument cluster. Yours ought to look like my '02 -

towmode02suburban_zpspreit2c3.jpg

If you are towing a heavy load - and a full vehicle and a 4500 trailer IS a heavy load in a 1/2-ton Sub - you'll want to take it easy and keep the selector in 3rd for anything but cruising down a flat highway at speed.

The high-mileage 4L60E is your greatest concern. Baby it. Make sure you have a trans cooler installed if you DON'T have the towing package. Might even consider a deeper trans pan with greater fluid capacity. Change your trans filter if you haven't. Make sure your engine cooling system is serviced and in top shape, as part of the trans cooling is plumbed thru the radiator tank, before then looping thru the external cooler (which is mounted low in front of the radiator, just below the bow tie as you look in the grill - it's not a great place for it, but it's the least worst). Do everything you can to ensure your engine and trans are cooling as efficiently as they can. Get a trans temp gauge or computer-reading tool that will show you. And keep your eye on it. Slow down or take a break when the trans heats up. Or make the family sweat and use your interior heaters for all they are worth, to bleed heat out of the drivetrain.

We've got an '02 Sub and '05 Tahoe, Z-71s, we've towed a good bit in a variety of conditions with both. We have the same drivetrain config as you. My Sub has 121k mi on it, her Tahoe just crossed 150k. Hers is practically 'new' in performance and condition, had it from mile 6. Mine was a bit shabby Mom-taxi when I bought it used at 114k, it's trans is a little sloppy. I baby it. Just put a gallon of 'hi mileage' trans fluid in it, as an experiment, seemed to help. That's not really good news. But I'm only driving it about 5500mi/yr. So it will do.

The 5.3L is of no concern, that thing will pull hard all day.

Nothing to be particularly worried about, just take reasonable care and maintenance.

kernbugout_zps1gopdbr3.jpg

eta just looked and LMC Truck has the OEM trans cooler for $130 and the two modified lines needed to hook it up are ~$30ea. Call it ~$200 to add a factory cooler, if you don't have the factory tow package.

Last edited:

Burb One

Adventurer
I have been towing a 6000 pound race trailer with my suburban now for a few years with the exact same trim. I have had no problems. As people have indicated the transmission is the weak spot.

I upgraded the transmission cooler to a larger b&m cooler and added an e fan to the cooler with a 180 degree thermostat for the fan and then override relay.

With the weights you are talking it will be a joy to tow with, just watch the transmission temps and make sure your fluid is kept new. If the 4l60e ever goes out, just get an old 4l80e and you'll be good forever. I always use tow and haul mode when towing and on flat ground keep it in fourth. If i feel the convertor isn't locking or the transmission starts searching, i put it in third.

My 5.3 has 200k+ miles on it, and is still as strong as 150k miles ago. I keep saying I'm going to rebuild or replace it, but at this point I'm going to see if it will make it to 300k, which it has no indication of not doing.

Last edited:

Burb One

Adventurer
Also, to get a transmission temp gauge, a good bluetooth reader will send it to an android with the Torque app.

However, I recommend a scangauge 2(~$100 from Pepboys) to have a permanent temperature gauge and not rely for such a critical system on your phone, which might not always be to that screens etc.

Last edited:

mchambers

Observer
image.jpgI checked and I did see a very small cooler behind the bow tie. Maybe 12X8x1 or so and I do have the tow/haul button on the shifter.
I took a picture of the chart in the glove box but I have to figure out how to post it through my phone now.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
mchambers, that it, same tow package as I've got. IIRC the sticker on the receiver hitch cross bar says something like 'combined GVWR 12,000'. So you've got about a 1000# to spare for people and luggage, with the trailer you've mentioned.

/but GVWR is just a 'suggestion', anyway lol

1GNFK16T51Jxxxxxx

1GN - US Made Chevy SUV
F - upgraded brakes, 1 level above stock (IIRC that's part of the tow package)
K - 4wd
1 - 1/2ton
6 - Sub
T - 5.3L
5 is a 'check' digit
1 - 2001
J - born in Janesville WI

The '130.0' next to the VIN is your wheelbase.

and geronracing, thanks for that info too, nice to see some solid performance further along the curve. And putting a 4L80E in if and when is a great idea. The cost difference is minor at that point.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior