M1078 vx. Mitsubishi FUSO 4x4

Coachgeo

Explorer
Know someone who plans to do something along those lines. Not till next summer or so though. Not changing engine... just Trans and T Case along with potentially adding an overdrive in there somewhere.

One of Oskosh's proposal FMTV's did similar too. Dropped the 7speed for the Allison 3500 6speed and typical 2wd/4wd High/Low Transfercase. Granted think the 3500 is nearly identical tranny to the 3700 when you remove the AWD Tcase.

Tennmogger

Explorer
Some comments on statement made a few posts back.

Hundreds of FMTV's have been released in the last couple of years. Many do have relatively minor initial problems because these were the bottom of the bucket trucks. That's the nature of getting a truck out of your military pool, you kick out the worst ones. Remarkably these trucks mostly work, it's just little things that have failed, parts stolen, or shoddy repair work resulted in relays in wrong slots, etc.

I have been reading everything I can find on them, including on Steel Soldiers, where many new owners reside. But I know there are some real believers in FMTVs on here, they have just been sidelined by negative comments from possibly uninformed contributors.

The FMTV's had some driveline design problems that were discovered in the mid nineties. Remember that the first official contract was in 96 and the problem was known by then, on trucks built in '93 to '95. There were problems with driveshafts and drop boxes on the Allison 3070 trans, and every (every!) FMTV was recalled and updated. The data plates all have a "D" stamped on them to indicate the upgrade was made. The failures dropped to a very low (inconsequential) rate.

Coachgeo failed to mention the unique history of his truck that blew up. I will leave it to him to tell the story, just saying it was a special project truck before he got it, and cheap, and had some weird modifications. Who knows the quality of the partial restoration back to mostly normal immediately before it was sold. The failure happened soon afterward. Purchase advice asked for on SS was ignored. The whole FMTV family should not be denigrated as a result of this one failure.

Of the hundreds being driven now, that is the only catastrophic driveline failure I have heard about. Has anyone any documentation of others? Do a search on FMTV reliability and there are pages of high praise, including comments of how the FMTV series has far surpassed reliability of earlier trucks like the deuces and 5 tons.

Last edited:

Coachgeo

Explorer
Coachgeo failed to mention the unique history of his truck that blew up. I will leave it to him to tell the story, just saying it was a special project truck before he got it, and cheap, and had some weird modifications. Who knows the quality of the partial restoration back to mostly normal immediately before it was sold. The failure happened soon afterward. Purchase advice asked for on SS was ignored. The whole FMTV family should not be denigrated as a result of this one failure.

Of the hundreds being driven now, that is the only catastrophic driveline failure I have heard about. Has anyone any documentation of others? Do a search on FMTV reliability and there are pages of high praise, including comments of how the FMTV series has far surpassed reliability of earlier trucks like the deuces and 5 tons.
Sir you are puting words in my mouth that I did not say. Also you left out the part that I did explain it at Steel Soldiers and thread got removed by the Moderator. Here I've stated that the issues that happend to me probably WONT happen to most. It's only a potential issue to those who might do extended long trips both on and offroad before heading home. Talking in the thousands of miles trips. The military had a motor pool maitenance at various levels with new part swapping going on often for their equipment at low milage intervals. So of course they had less issues. Less issues with military vehiclees these days might have nothing to do with the actual vehicles though. For it could just as easly be said these trucks and all the other military rigs have had less issues than past cause they completely revamped their matenance procedures based on a whole new construct/set of concpets. It is interesting reading though did only scan thru them myself. But the Govt.. doccuments that set the proposoals to change it all are out there. Didn't save the links sorry. Thus a very different, more efficient system is being used today than when the Dueces were in service.

Now back to topic .
You asked for Documented other failures: At SS. this info was deleted by moderator after a member their went nuts and started yelling liar..... called my mechanic a liar, trashed my parts suppliers calling them all liars and similar bull. It was comical. Unfortunatly it was more than the moderator wanted to deal with so he deleted the whole thread:confused:.

Anyway got some parts for rebuild from a Vendor at SS. He knew of a few others himself that grenaded rear of Tcase and sold them parts and whole tranny. Even he does not speak of that on SS... maybe to avoid the fallout? These folk were not active members of SS. Got most my Tranny parts from a reputable Allison Tranny rebuilder/used-new parts distributer who sold parts for repair of others with same failure if I recall the conversation right. All rigs were in civilian hands. Do I need to get reciepts from these vendors for doccumentation :coffee:

FACT- The issues with the T/Case I had ended up to have nothing to do with the only odd* thing done by previous owner to the truck that could affect it. I even thought it would have and was surprised to find it did not. Became fact cause the Clutches in the tranny that would take the brunt of the torture from the previous owners modification had no unusual wear. Besides the issues that these trucks "occasionaly" have; of which mine was the same, were caused by rear driveline vibrations. Rear driveline during PO's modification...... was disconnected.

Base information:
. These are AWD trucks at 70% driving forces applied to rear axle thru Transfer Case via a set of clutches in normal highway mode.
. Rear axle always gets all its power thru a set of gears only. Front axle robs from rears power via clutches in the Tcase to bring motive forces to the front wheels.
. It is said to NOT drive on front axle only. Talked to Allison about driving on front only in emergency or otherwise like you can a typical part time 4wd truck and their reply was..... "Can't say", "Probably would cause problems with clutches", "but it has never been tested, so we have not recommended it. " My Allison Guru parts fellow assumed a clutch issue would occur as well as did a few others. Makes since if 100% of motive forces is being applied to the front wheels via a set of clutches only intended to apply max 50% of motive forces; that these clutches would wear.

So what oddd.. thing did previous owner do
. during a long trip home previous owner removed rear drive shaft cause of rear axle issues.
. Modified front Gear Reduction hubs to no longer haveing a "reduction" to allow for highway speeds.
. Put it in 50/50 split ruff terrain mode and drove 1200 miles on front axle only at reasonable highway speeds. (He's a machinist, and a welder in a high-end job requiring those skills daily).
. Returned it back to OEM at end of trip and had rear axle rebuilt along with rear driveshaft.
. oh... and he built a ROP.

The surprise...

My transfer case blew up "on the back side at the rear driveshaft Yoke (rear housing vibrates and breaks apart spilling some guts of rear of Tcase)" after I bought it on trip home..... same blow up at backside of Tcase as others have had (see documentation above) and same as those documented by the military.

so off it went to Big Rig shop mechanic with 40yrs experience with Allison Tranny's and others. he rebuilt the Tcase (replaced REAR broken housing and few gut pieces). HERE IS THE SUPRISE....... Expecting wear on these clutches I bought new ones and had him replace them. The clutches came out with no unusual wear. When I reported this finding at SS the thread got deleted as described previously.

more detail

. The Previous owner's modification and trip on front axle only......
Note.. there was not rear driveline installed, to cause issues with back end of Transmission/Tcase later. The break I had at back side of Tcase was Exactly typical of those that had TCase breaks from rear driveline issues. Therefore MOST LIKELY the problem came from the shop whom he had repair rear axle (replaced R&P, bearings, redid brakes etc) and rebuild rear drive shaft. (He'd already swapped back to OEM front hubs) He was in Alaska and off to various forien countries most of last year working on Tankers and the likes. Thus he farmed out that part of rebuilding her. These trucks require rebuilds/maintenance to adhere to tighter tolerances than typical large truck it appears. Seems to me this driveline shop FUBARED their rebuild. My guess is they rebuilt it like it was any other larger truck they do everyday, which would not be to tight enough tolerances for this model rig. Maybe they let slide something that would be fine in normal circumstances; but not for these trucks, like how much play is in the slip yoke?? Amount of play tolerance for this model truck is much tighter than typical trucks. More than .02" of play requires driveshaft replacement. But who knows... maybe they just botched the job and didn't install R&P correctly... or missed slightly bent something else....... let slip by a yoke with a nick in it or small nick in driveshaft (think military requires replament in these cases); ok for a typical truck but not for these orrrr who knows??? . did have my shop investigate for anything else that might have caused rear drive vibrations. There was nothing.

On my rig to avoid this break again, and to reduce on the road maintenance on long trips I will remove the semi-steep rear driveshaft angle ( which compounds vibration; on any truck, problems that might arise with driveshaft or axle, ) by swapping to different rear military axle bringing rear driveshaft up to near horizontal. Besides I no longer trusted the rear axle repairs done previously and there was some play in at what was left of the axle yoke. With labor in rebuilding that one I might as well swap it out. BTW this is same axle change the military did on all new similar models starting in 2008...... hmmm wonder what all the reasons they did that for?

The Previous owner will be giving me a new transmission sometime eventually.

OH and lets leave Flack on one bulletin board ........ on that board. That is just good sound NETiquette. No need to waste even more folks time with flack.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

Just throwing out a thought...

What about putting a duramax/allison/np205 into the M1078 for better mileage and parts availability? It would make plenty of power and selling the current drivetrain would probably pay for the new one.

You can get parts all over the world for the engine and tranny in the LMTV. They are stocked at most places that work on medium/heavy trucks.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Sir you are puting words in my mouth that I did not say. Also you left out the part that I did explain it at Steel Soldiers and thread got removed by the Moderator. Here I've stated that the issues that happend to me probably WONT happen to most. It's only a potential issue to those who might do extended long trips both on and offroad before heading home. Talking in the thousands of miles trips. The military had a motor pool maitenance at various levels with new part swapping going on often for their equipment at low milage intervals. So of course they had less issues. Less issues with military vehiclees these days might have nothing to do with the actual vehicles though. For it could just as easly be said these trucks and all the other military rigs have had less issues than past cause they completely revamped their matenance procedures based on a whole new construct/set of concpets. It is interesting reading though did only scan thru them myself. But the Govt.. doccuments that set the proposoals to change it all are out there. Didn't save the links sorry. Thus a very different, more efficient system is being used today than when the Dueces were in service.

Now back to topic .
You asked for Documented other failures: At SS. this info was deleted by moderator after a member their went nuts and started yelling liar..... called my mechanic a liar, trashed my parts suppliers calling them all liars and similar bull. It was comical. Unfortunatly it was more than the moderator wanted to deal with so he deleted the whole thread:confused:.

Anyway got some parts for rebuild from a Vendor at SS. He knew of a few others himself that grenaded rear of Tcase and sold them parts and whole tranny. Even he does not speak of that on SS... maybe to avoid the fallout? These folk were not active members of SS. Got most my Tranny parts from a reputable Allison Tranny rebuilder/used-new parts distributer who sold parts for repair of others with same failure if I recall the conversation right. All rigs were in civilian hands. Do I need to get reciepts from these vendors for doccumentation :coffee:

FACT- The issues with the T/Case I had ended up to have nothing to do with the only odd* thing done by previous owner to the truck that could affect it. I even thought it would have and was surprised to find it did not. Became fact cause the Clutches in the tranny that would take the brunt of the torture from the previous owners modification had no unusual wear. Besides the issues that these trucks "occasionaly" have; of which mine was the same, were caused by rear driveline vibrations. Rear driveline during PO's modification...... was disconnected.

Base information:
. These are AWD trucks at 70% driving forces applied to rear axle thru Transfer Case via a set of clutches in normal highway mode.
. Rear axle always gets all its power thru a set of gears only. Front axle robs from rears power via clutches in the Tcase to bring motive forces to the front wheels.
. It is said to NOT drive on front axle only. Talked to Allison about driving on front only in emergency or otherwise like you can a typical part time 4wd truck and their reply was..... "Can't say", "Probably would cause problems with clutches", "but it has never been tested, so we have not recommended it. " My Allison Guru parts fellow assumed a clutch issue would occur as well as did a few others. Makes since if 100% of motive forces is being applied to the front wheels via a set of clutches only intended to apply max 50% of motive forces; that these clutches would wear.

So what oddd.. thing did previous owner do
. during a long trip home previous owner removed rear drive shaft cause of rear axle issues.
. Modified front Gear Reduction hubs to no longer haveing a "reduction" to allow for highway speeds.
. Put it in 50/50 split ruff terrain mode and drove 1200 miles on front axle only at reasonable highway speeds. (He's a machinist, and a welder in a high-end job requiring those skills daily).
. Returned it back to OEM at end of trip and had rear axle rebuilt along with rear driveshaft.
. oh... and he built a ROP.

The surprise...

My transfer case blew up "on the back side at the rear driveshaft Yoke (rear housing vibrates and breaks apart spilling some guts of rear of Tcase)" after I bought it on trip home..... same blow up at backside of Tcase as others have had (see documentation above) and same as those documented by the military.

so off it went to Big Rig shop mechanic with 40yrs experience with Allison Tranny's and others. he rebuilt the Tcase (replaced REAR broken housing and few gut pieces). HERE IS THE SUPRISE....... Expecting wear on these clutches I bought new ones and had him replace them. The clutches came out with no unusual wear. When I reported this finding at SS the thread got deleted as described previously.

more detail

. The Previous owner's modification and trip on front axle only......
Note.. there was not rear driveline installed, to cause issues with back end of Transmission/Tcase later. The break I had at back side of Tcase was Exactly typical of those that had TCase breaks from rear driveline issues. Therefore MOST LIKELY the problem came from the shop whom he had repair rear axle (replaced R&P, bearings, redid brakes etc) and rebuild rear drive shaft. (He'd already swapped back to OEM front hubs) He was in Alaska and off to various forien countries most of last year working on Tankers and the likes. Thus he farmed out that part of rebuilding her. These trucks require rebuilds/maintenance to adhere to tighter tolerances than typical large truck it appears. Seems to me this driveline shop FUBARED their rebuild. My guess is they rebuilt it like it was any other larger truck they do everyday, which would not be to tight enough tolerances for this model rig. Maybe they let slide something that would be fine in normal circumstances; but not for these trucks, like how much play is in the slip yoke?? Amount of play tolerance for this model truck is much tighter than typical trucks. More than .02" of play requires driveshaft replacement. But who knows... maybe they just botched the job and didn't install R&P correctly... or missed slightly bent something else....... let slip by a yoke with a nick in it or small nick in driveshaft (think military requires replament in these cases); ok for a typical truck but not for these orrrr who knows??? . did have my shop investigate for anything else that might have caused rear drive vibrations. There was nothing.

On my rig to avoid this break again, and to reduce on the road maintenance on long trips I've removed the semi-steep rear driveshaft angle ( which compounds vibration; on any truck, problems that might arise with driveshaft or axle, ) by swapping to different rear military axle bringing rear driveshaft up to near horizontal. Besides I no longer trusted the rear axle repairs done previously and there was some play in at what was left of the axle yoke. With labor in rebuilding that one I might as well swap it out. BTW this is same axle change the military did on all new similar models starting in 2008...... hmmm wonder what all the reasons they did that for?

The Previous owner will be giving me a new transmission sometime next year.

OH and lets leave Flack on one bulletin board ........ on that board. That is just good sound NETiquette. No need to waste even more folks time with flack.

Steel soldiers sucks. The mods are terrible.

Coachgeo

Explorer
You can get parts all over the world for the engine and tranny in the LMTV. They are stocked at most places that work on medium/heavy trucks.
the CAT and the Tranny that makes alot of since. Tranny part is essentually an Allison 6000? Six speed.....not sure on that but it is for sure listed in brochures along with the 3000 series trannys.

Not so sure about the Tcase mated to the Tranny having world wide part access though. Hope your right about that too...... This Tranny/Tcase combination is a bit of a special bird, granted "few" other type larger rigs use it as well so it is not just the military. I think like some Firetrucks and maybe some Ambulance use this 7speed tranny/Tcase combo as well.

UPDATE: Transmission has no 6000 in it...... is all 3000 guts

Last edited:

Coachgeo

Explorer
Steel soldiers sucks. The mods are terrible.

Well... I wouldn't say thattt... Seen better..... seen some worse. ///////

UPDATE!!!!: Previously.... had a bit more input on this here but decided to self moderate (aka delete it) to help keep the peace. Even though it was kinda supportive of SS.. Im sure others over there would take it wrong and it would blow back up in my face lol.

soooo.... HOLDING MY TOUNGE .

hmmm... you know what!!!.... when holding like that...... if you talk; you end up sounding like Elmer Fud :wings:

Last edited:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
the CAT and the Tranny that makes alot of since. Tranny part is essentually an Allison 6000? six speed if you removed the Transfer Case from it. Not so sure about the Tcase mated to the Tranny having world wide part access though. Hope your right about that too...... This Tranny/Tcase combination is a bit of a special bird, granted "few" other type larger rigs use it as well so it is not just the military. I think like some Firetrucks and maybe some Ambulance use this 7speed tranny/Tcase combo as well.

It is based on a 3000 series and is an off the shelf item. You can order one from any Allison agent. But they are not as common so you may have to wait on some parts.

Coachgeo

Explorer
It is based on a 3000 series and is an off the shelf item. You can order one from any Allison agent. But they are not as common so you may have to wait on some parts.
thanks for the correction.. I'll update.... though Have read both Model 6000 tranny mentioned as well as 3000 "series" mentioned. Maybe both right?

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
thanks for the correction.. I'll update.... though Have read both Model 6000 tranny mentioned as well as 3000 "series" mentioned. Maybe both right?

The only 6000 series transmissions I have seen were in mining haul trucks. 900 hp and they had SAE 1 housings. All the FMTV - LMTV trucks run the little engines with SAE 2 housings.

The other thing is the 6000 series weigh about a ton. In comparison the 3000 series is about 500 - 550 lb.

So I figure they probably don't have 6000 series. But I have been proven to be wrong more often than I like to admit.

Coachgeo

Explorer
The only 6000 series transmissions I have seen were in mining haul trucks. 900 hp and they had SAE 1 housings. All the FMTV - LMTV trucks run the little engines with SAE 2 housings.

The other thing is the 6000 series weigh about a ton. In comparison the 3000 series is about 500 - 550 lb.

So I figure they probably don't have 6000 series. But I have been proven to be wrong more often than I like to admit.
Your right. Got it confirmed this morning by an Allison Rebuilder/Part Supplier. She's all 3000

it's a heavy 3000 though... with the T/case addition the total weight around 1500 lb, dry. That weight might include shipping create.

Last edited:

Audiophile31

i know this is an old post, but i found it by accident and very happy i did. i have a M1088A0 that i use daily under some pretty harsh conditions and much much heavier than it was rated for by the military/OEM. i will be getting my shafts rebalanced and keep an eye on my tailhousing. Also now thinking about a driveshaft loop. Anyway, just wanted to say thank you to Coachgeo for getting into detail about your entire experience..very informative! I can tell Tango Zulu that from my experience they are reliable (at least mine is). I think it feels incredibly stable on and off road, both unloaded and over loaded. mileage is comparable to other class 6-7 trucks performing in the same situation. automatics seem to drink more than the manuals & 3 driving axles probably doesnt help.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke