Little Guy Teardrop Rough Rider Build

Battery Amounts

Scott,
I do not have a good answer for you, regarding the amount of batteries. Obviously having more, than enough, may prove to be the best approach. I am considering weight. Without having any real world testing, I would be guessing. Now obviously, I could start doing some math. But one concept I have in mind, is first, not telling my wife to turn off lights, when we are in the middle of no where, and she is fearful of wild animals, and two, not having to start up the generator. To charge our batteries. With two batteries on the trailer. I think I will be able to take full advantage of a solar system, by having the capacity , for reserve, for operations overnights, i.e. LED Proximity lighting/ Safety. Two the battery in the FJ, will give me piece of mind. That our pricey vacation food will remain safe for eating. And the Beer will not get hot. That is all I know for now. Only time will tell.

The Work Continues 1/26/2015

With some time going by, construction of the Honey Badger has started to ramp up in speed. With a visit to the shop this afternoon, some final details were worked out. The exterior welded structure is essential for the off-road capability of this trailer. Afterall, you can take a trailer, most places, but it those few challenges places that you would like to take a trailer, that will make anyone that has invested in a trailer think twice, when pulling their trailer into a bad place. So as you all know, the theme of this build, is a teardrop trailer capable of being towed to the same destinations at the tow vehicle to capable of going. The biggest thing I believe makes this possible is a good rock guard system, and some durable skid plates. A trailer is not designed to go over rocks, but with the correct design, it can be safely dragged and managed over some obstacles without significant damage. Here are a few more photos of the construction as of 1/26/2016.

IMG_2454.jpg
IMG_2455.jpg
IMG_2456.jpg

The Honey Badger Update Video 1/29/2016

Short Video link to give everyone an update on The Honey Badgers progress.

[video]https://youtu.be/HYb0mWscluU[/video]

Fenders are going on.

The fenders are being fabricated and installed. There are some extra pieces of steel in the photos that will be removed so keep this in mind.

thumb_IMG_4253_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_4255_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_4257_1024.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
We've been using our Silver Shadow Rough Rider for 5 years now and I'll venture a guess that you'll find those gizmo bars in front of the doors to be a bit in the way...

nater

Adventurer
We've been using our Silver Shadow Rough Rider for 5 years now and I'll venture a guess that you'll find those gizmo bars in front of the doors to be a bit in the way...

Thats actually exactly what I was going to say... The wife and I have just one year on our silver shadow / rough rider hybrid, but those platforms in front of the door are going to drive you crazy. I get what you are trying to do there, but they are going to get in the way of getting in and out of the trailer.

Gizmos on side

Hey Guys,
We will have to see how the gizmos on the side work or work against me to get in and out of the Trailer. My thoughts are that because the trailer sits higher it may be necessary. My wife is not tall, and swinging legs out to slide out, may not be comfortable.

Overall, off-road capability, is the more important factor. For me.

The trailer is being built to travel on unknown trails, that may have washed out sections and step up and step down obstacles. I would rather the trailer have too much protection than not enough. I am confident the design will do a great job to prevent expensive body damage.

The downside of the rough rider is the low hanging fenders, and even with larger fenders, they are very exposed. The design that I have created will allow the trailer to meet with a rock of the side of the trail, without permanent damage.

The rough rider is posed as a trailer that can traverse "Jeep Trails", but I would say that chances for damage are very high, this is based on my real world travels.

The capability of the trailer will be documented the summer.

Robert

I want to be able to travel trails like this.

This is an example of a trail, that I would like to be able to travel. No serious rock climbing, but there are some drop offs and as you can see by the tire marks, There are some obstacles. The trails often lead to the most remote locations, and some of the best views. Many public land primitive campsites, may require this type of travel to access. I think the rough rider stock, could do this, but a constant concern of damage would be present. And since the fenders are held on with screws, the potential to rip them off the trailer, causing serious damage would be likely.

Off-Road Trailer on trail.jpg

nater

Adventurer
Hey Guys,
We will have to see how the gizmos on the side work or work against me to get in and out of the Trailer. My thoughts are that because the trailer sits higher it may be necessary. My wife is not tall, and swinging legs out to slide out, may not be comfortable.

Overall, off-road capability, is the more important factor. For me.

The trailer is being built to travel on unknown trails, that may have washed out sections and step up and step down obstacles. I would rather the trailer have too much protection than not enough. I am confident the design will do a great job to prevent expensive body damage.

The downside of the rough rider is the low hanging fenders, and even with larger fenders, they are very exposed. The design that I have created will allow the trailer to meet with a rock of the side of the trail, without permanent damage.

The rough rider is posed as a trailer that can traverse "Jeep Trails", but I would say that chances for damage are very high, this is based on my real world travels.

The capability of the trailer will be documented the summer.

Robert

I can appreciate that, I totally get what you are going for, perhaps make those bars removable. They will be more of a hindrance than a help to get in and out. You have to kinda "snake out" if you are over 5 foot tall. Yours will be higher than mine, and we already bring a collapsible foot stool for the wife to get in and out with. You wont be able to "slither" out of the door with that big sill in the way.

Grab Bar maybe

Nater,
Thank You for the feedback. You have me thinking now. That is the awesome thing about this forum. and Facebook. People are great about giving constructive suggestions. I could not have done this project half as good, if it was not for help.

I should maybe call the Grab Bar Man!

No actually I am thinking of putting an overhead grab bar both on inside and outside. I was on a Submarine for four years and that is how we went through our hatches from one watertight compartment to the other. It works very good.

By the way there is going to be diamond plate on those bars making it a deck. That may be the reason for confusion.

We should talk more about our adventures planned for this year.

Robert

LINE-X, Scorpion Liner, Bullet Liner, Rhino Liner?

The Honey Badger is nearing fabrication completion,
The Teardrop will be coated with a color tinted liner on the body , and black on the chassis.

The question is what brand of liner should we apply?
LINE-X, Scorpion Liner, Bullet Liner, Rhino Liner?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank You, Rob

6btEX

Observer
I would choose one that you can touch up yourself, if needed.
If you rub a rock or tree, you wont want to pay a "professional" every time to touch it up.
Monstaliner is a DIY, as are others

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior