Cooper ST Maxx vs AT3

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I am incredibly impressed with the traction, smooth ride, predictable handling, and durability of my ST/Maxx's. Although the AT3 is a more street-oriented tire, I've found the ST/Maxx in no way objectionable on the street. Besides superior off-road traction, the other benefit you'll see with the Maxx versus the AT3 is its heavier duty casing:

Dake21

Adventurer
I've find the AT3 to be good on roads as much as on gravel road on on wet grass. They self clean pretty good imo. The lack of sidewall is not very reassuring when you go deeper in mud. The max is more of a middle ground between an AT and MT tire and judging by the thread construction the AT3 will be much better on wet pavement. 3Lbs of unsprung weight is a lot by the way.

cr500taco

Adventurer
I've find the AT3 to be good on roads as much as on gravel road on on wet grass. They self clean pretty good imo. The lack of sidewall is not very reassuring when you go deeper in mud. The max is more of a middle ground between an AT and MT tire and judging by the thread construction the AT3 will be much better on wet pavement. 3Lbs of unsprung weight is a lot by the way.
Thanks for your input. So, with the ST Maxx being about 3lbs heavier per tire, there may be a little loss in performance and mpg compared to AT3?

Luckychase5

Adventurer
I loved my AT3's. I used them in light mud, snow, gravel and of course tarmac. Nice and quiet on the road, clawed right threw any terrain I pointed them at, handled well while towing, and looked good too. They were also the cheapest option of all the tires I was looking at. They get my highest recommendations

cr500taco

Adventurer
I loved my AT3's. I used them in light mud, snow, gravel and of course tarmac. Nice and quiet on the road, clawed right threw any terrain I pointed them at, handled well while towing, and looked good too. They were also the cheapest option of all the tires I was looking at. They get my highest recommendations
just curious only because you said loved, what do you have now?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

cr500taco

Adventurer
Checked with Discount tires center this morning regarding the special. it's for in stock tires only. Neither of the At3 or ST Maxx are in Stock, so they are not included in the special. So while I was there I got prices. The AT3 is $160 and the ST Maxx is $209. Don't know if that was just the tires or with mounting. They have to special order the ST Maxx and that was an additional $49 for all for tires.

DaveNay

Adventurer
I am running ST Maxx on my Suburban and one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread is how much this tire will hold and throw rocks if you travel on gravel roads a lot. I live nearly two miles down a gravel road so this has become noticeable to me. If you don't frequent gravel roads daily it might not make a difference to you.

skeeter06

Observer
I run the a/t3s on my Hummer H3, and do some significant offroading. They have held up well. I run them in a 315/75/16 with a load range E. I may run the ST MAXXs next. The at3s have really lived up to my expectations. The only thing I have not ran them in is the deep mud, but I try not to find the deep mud. I do some rock crawling, and trail runs all over this area. I'll run them again, and I suggest many others try them

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
I have ran both, and honestly was happier with the MAXX. i got 67,000 miles out of my AT3's on my 3/4 ton diesel and only started getting flats at the end of their life due to stone drilling and no tread left. Am running the MAXX on my diesel now and on my XJ. the MAXX has a stiffer sidewall and wears allot harder. Very good in snow and rocks.

eggman918

Adventurer
Life has kept me mostly on pavement since i got the maxx's but we are off a dirt/gravel road and they do pick up stones and don't let go until ~70mph, they are the best performing "off road" tire on pavement I've ever owned.....would run them again!

cr500taco

Adventurer
Life has kept me mostly on pavement since i got the maxx's but we are off a dirt/gravel road and they do pick up stones and don't let go until ~70mph, they are the best performing "off road" tire on pavement I've ever owned.....would run them again!
Care to elaborate more on the "best performing 'off road' tire on pavement that you've ever owned"? Like which tires have you owned and how does the Maxx perform better?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior