New Gears - 4.56 or 4.88?

harv3589

Adventurer
I'm looking at doing gears in my JKU but want to make sure they will work well pulling my overland trailer. My jeep has the 3.6L and it's an automatic and running 35" Duratracs. I've been leaning towards the 4.56 since its a daily driver as well.

Thoughts?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The 4.56 setup would be a good street ratio to run with the 35's since you already have the lower gears in the t-case for trail use. If you had the minivan engine in there I would say 4.88 or even deeper but that is not the case.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Which engine could you mean by "Minivan" engine ??

There are few that haven't been used in a "Minivan", including the "Pentastar 3.6L"

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

comptiger5000

Adventurer
If you're not spending a lot of time at higher speeds on the highway, go for the 4.88s. The only thing they'll cost you is higher revs at highway cruise, which might cost a little mpg at higher speeds without the trailer.

harv3589

Adventurer
If you're not spending a lot of time at higher speeds on the highway, go for the 4.88s. The only thing they'll cost you is higher revs at highway cruise, which might cost a little mpg at higher speeds without the trailer.

That's my only concern...we do a fair bit of hwy driving without the trailer too...wanting the best of both or a compromise which I was thinking would be the 4.56. Right now I have 3.73...

rubicon91

Explorer
I have the 3.6L and regeared a year ago to 456s. I love it. I have a 3 inch lift and 35s. My jeep pulls my ecotrek trailer very nicely. I ran it to NC for expo east in October. I also have a manual and the sport model. The only complaint I have if you would call it one is that first gear is really short but I can always start in 2nd gear now. I'm not sure I would do 488 but that is my own personal opinion. In fact at highway speeds I can run 80mph and am around 2800 or so rpms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Go to GrimmJeeper, for his gear chart. I ran a real quick check and there is only ~200rpm difference between the two. The best answer I can give is a series of questions: What elevation do you live at? How much flat freeway do you regularly travel? How heavy/aggressive are your tires?
That makes all of the difference in what gears work best for YOU.
Jack

MTSN

Explorer
What elevation will you be running with the trailer? I have 4.10 with the same tires and like it in 90% of circumstances from 5-10+k elevation without a trailer - unless you count a light dirt bike trailer. I'd lean towards 4.56 unless you think you might want to go with a bigger or heavier tire in the future.

harv3589

Adventurer
The Duratrac is light when compared to other 35" tires. I don't see myself going any bigger except may a more true 35" but I really like the Duratrac for up here.

The altitude here is around 3357 ft and goes up front there as u hit the mtns nearby.

Majority of our driving is without the trailer but when we do take the trailer and travel it will be at some higher elevations.

I'm thinking the 4.56 might be best...we live in the city of Calgary and my wife drives it to work daily.

Still on the fence about gears...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz