Examples of Front Spare Tire Mount with Winch Bumper

deminimis

Explorer
It's getting to that stage of the game where I need to start thinking about a front spare tire mount. I have a receiver on my winch bumper. Would prefer to keep access to the winch without having to remove the spare mount. I've got a couple thoughts rattling around in my head, but hoping for some images of custom setups to help with the planning process. I'll be using one of my front alloy wheels for the spare to keep the weight down (has a gouge from the factory, so they gave me a new take-off). I already have a steel spare in the bed, but it requires i slide the camper back to access it. Should I blow a front, this would be relatively easy to deal with. This is what I'm working with. Thanks.

upload_-1.jpg

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Most people do not mount the spare in front due to it blocking 60-70% of airflow to the radiator, and I believe in some states it isn't legal due to obstructing your forward view.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I think you'd be better off mounting it on the side of the bed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huHRPqXoiUs

https://parts.pjtrailers.com/stake-pocket-spare-tire-mount-160438.html

stake-pocket-spare-tire-mount.jpg

As far as front-mounting (if you absolutely had to) I wouldn't worry about legality if it's not more than 5-6in above the front edge of the hood and your license plate and lights are not covered. And unless it's right in front of the grill then airflow would probably not be a big issue at highway speeds. I think that grill guard gives you plenty of air gap, but I still wouldn't put it there myself.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
You might be better off mounting your spares on the sides of your headache rack actually, if you don't want to go with a stake pocket mount. I don't think you'll have the clearance to mount one on the front bumper and not interfere with your winch, unless you had some sort of hinge or pivot on the mount to tilt it up out of the way?

Question: Why do you ram guys always have those trailer mirrors extended out, even when you're not pulling a trailer?

deminimis

Explorer
Folks, thanks, but really looking for just front mount options. I already have a spare in a well I built in the flatbed. I'm already over 8' wide with my boxes, so no side mount (plus no way to do it with my setup). That was a pic early on in the build. I do appreciate the ideas, but looking just for front mount options.

Moose mirrors always deployed or I can't see a thing (even without the camper, due to deck boxes):

upload_-1.jpg

Last edited:

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Folks, thanks, but really looking for just front mount options. ...I'm already over 8' wide with my boxes, so no side mount (why I always have my mirrors in Moose antler mode). That was a pic early on in the build. I do appreciate the ideas, but looking just for front mount options... Moose mirrors always deployed or I can't see a thing (even without the camper, due to deck boxes)...

Gotcha. Looks like you could try one of the pre-built spare holders from Curt/Draw-Tite/Etc, but no idea if they will clear that grill guard. And they might be too tall because they seem to be made to work with most of those manufacturers' front receiver hitches which are always mounted low underneath the front bumper. Pictures for reference...

Curt Mfg
31006_1024x768_a.jpg

Draw-Tite
6715-lrg-01.jpg

I'm guessing your front receiver is behind the license plate?

deminimis

Explorer
Thanks. I've looked at those, but it would block the winch (which I got to use this weekend to get out of my parking spot...no, seriously). I also have a front cam because I can't see the front of the bumper, that I'd like to not block (license plate cam). What I have in mind is building a horizontal tube from the hitch stinger, and then building verticals, etc, up from there. I'd chain and turnbuckle the ends of the horizontal tube to the tow hooks to keep a lid on some of the side-to-side movement that I suspect would occur. Of course, I've never seen anything along those lines, so looks like I may be forging a new path. I have very little wiggle room insofar as it relates to front axle weight. With a steel spare, I'd be too close to capacity when loaded up. With an alumn spare, I'm in better shape. However, the amount of steel it will take has to be taken into consideration too. Due to an odd tire/wheel situation, I'm finding myself with a total of three spares by the end of the week (I'm replacing the front rubber w/ only 12k on them with something more (hopefully) snow worthy, so I'm not tossing that rubber). The front spare would only be for trips to Baja. It will be so far out, that good air for the rad and IC will not be an issue. Thanks again.

deminimis

Explorer
Thanks. We use the piss out of that boat when we're not trying to kiteboard (we live in the windsurfing/kiteboarding capital of the world, so light wind (boating) days can be limited).

deminimis

Explorer
Oh, if anyone is thinking I could just mount a spare on top of my hitch extension (laying flat), that's a no-go for now. Not enough room with the extension. Now, with that, I am considering options out back. For example, building a non-functional hitch extension that might house a flat-laying spare. However, still not sure I can manage it without loosing too much clearance and departure angle. The camper step is laying on the top of the hitch extension in this pic. I'm eventually raising the bed 3/4", but even then, no room unless I create something else entirely. It's a dilemma. I do have an extra (longer) extension and suppose I could mount something off the sides of it to mount a spare(s) vertically, while still clearing the camper bumper (provided I have unfettered access to my bottle opener). I might have to get out the pencil and consider that if the front spare mount doesn't work out. That one has a large attachment point on the top (not factory) From that attachment point I could run a couple of chains up to the flatbed and increase the tongue capacity substantially. Something to consider I suppose.

See? No room as it sits.
upload_-1.jpg

I have to check my reduced capacities when using the extension, but the hitch I installed (after cutting off that joke of a flatbed hitch) is way over built, so thinking I'll be good. Yes, I have a plasma cutter and I'm not afraid to use it:

upload_-1.jpg

Damnit! Now I've knocked the thread off the rails.

Last edited:

Basil.

Hood mount? It's on the front, and you probably won't be able to see jack, but it's worth a try.
7de2595eea18e1578115fd26d5f43bad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deminimis

Explorer
Boom! Found what I was looking for. Aluminess actually makes a mount for their winch bumper. Rotates counterclockwise to allow access to the winch. Damn, wish I would have discovered that when I was bumper shopping. I've had their bumpers before and liked them, but the front hitch mount was weak (just attached to alumn), so I went with buckstop (semi local). Anyway, here's the answer. Just need to get one from Aluminess or copy it if they no longer make them (Carlyle's build and pictures on this site):

IMG_12201.jpg

IMG_12181.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

Last edited:

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Boom! Found what I was looking for...

Wow! Never would have guessed Aluminess would have that, but in hindsight it does make sense when I consider all their Sportsmobile support. Glad you got an idea now. Look forward to seeing your end result.

Sorry we let you down. My Google-**** must not be as strong as yours, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne