300GD - Am I headed into a money pit?

cheesewaffles

Hi all,

I'm looking at a Spanish import 1989 300GD with 104,584 miles. It's a 4 door LWB. The owner has provided me a list of what needs to be done on the vehicle. The body and frame are in great shape, what rusts exists is minimal.

It has the turbo retrofitted to a 617 (non-A) so I intend to remove that.

The seller would like $20k for it (it is already in the US with title). Can I get some opinions about whether this is expected for the age and mileage, or if I'm headed into a money pit? It seems the seller is being very transparent with me, but the asking price is a bit high considering. I am especially concerned about what could be transmission input shaft bearings and the turbo leak.

1. Rear axle seals are seeping. Possible bad bearings in the brake drum housing.
2. No muffler- (straight flexible pipe has been fitted in place of the muffler)
3. Tie rod end boots are busted no play in the tie rod ends yet.
4. Left ball sphere is seeping fluid. Right side has been repaired
5. Turbo is leaking oil
6. Rear tie rod boots are broken (right side is bad)
7. Brake booster vacuum hose coming off of the vacuum pump needs to be repaired correctly
8. Oil vapor hose coming off the valve cover needs to be repaired. The aftermarket hose was to short. This caused the hose to lean against the exhaust manifold and burn
9. Throttle linkage against the firewall needs to be repaired. The linkage is hitting the metal fuel lines going to the injectors
10. Suggest replacing both fuel filters
11. All door locks make the audible actuator noise. However the rear doors do not unlock without the key
12. Idle was adjusted up to about 600 rpm.
13. The input shaft for the transmission is noisy on occasion. Noise will go away when the clutch pedal is pressed down.
14. We did not engage the 4 wheel drive system. This can be done by the seller to ensure it will work!
15. The window cranks can be tough at times to roll up and down

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
Money Pit? Depends on your tolerance for cash outlay. This looks like it will be a lot of cash outlay especially because parts are not that easy to find in USA. If you pay somebody to do the work you will probably double your purchase price.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Money Pit? Depends on your tolerance for cash outlay. This looks like it will be a lot of cash outlay especially because parts are not that easy to find in USA. If you pay somebody to do the work you will probably double your purchase price.

Actually, parts are not at all difficult to obtain in the USA. They can be very pricey, however.

Last edited:

McBride

Adventurer
Skip this one at that price - way too much based on your description. Lots of better G's available stateside. Keep looking...you'll find one. Definitely get one.. There's nothing quite like a G!

William

cheesewaffles

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'm definitely dead set on a G, so I know about the cost of maintenance and repair on them, but 20k did seem a bit high for that many issues. I do appreciate the seller's honesty, however.

I should have mentioned that it's a 4 door LWB... I don't suppose that's relevant to price? It seems they're harder to come by. The wheelbase is a no-compromise point in my search; it absolutely must be LWB.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
I should have mentioned that it's a 4 door LWB... I don't suppose that's relevant to price? It seems they're harder to come by. The wheelbase is a no-compromise point in my search; it absolutely must be LWB.

LWB's are FAR more common than SWB's.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior