K.Ray's Lame Tacoma Build Thread

K.Ray

Adventurer
FT0aYNZh.jpg

2006 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 4.0L V6 6spd TRD.OR
5TEUU42N16Z298931

Purchased with 124,xxx miles in Dec 2015.

History: I purchased this truck out of Christiansburg, VA where it lived its entire life. This was a frame recall truck and had it's frame and most of its suspension replaced mid-2015, along with several other recalls completed. The truck had a few normal issues when purchased; chirping TOB, mystery alignment issue, and driveline slap/slack issue. I have yet to work any of these out but, for the most part, the truck was well taken care of.

Goal: We would like to build this truck into a true overlanding rig with slightly more bias towards tarmac as it's also my daily commuter. We will use this for adventuring, camping, and meeting up with our close friends in their epic adventure with Time Magazine's The Drive, which can be found here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/153441-The-Bowman-Odyssey-Rig?p=2008974#post2008974

Motor/Drivetrain:
- OME 885 Coils
- Wheeler's 3-leaf AAL
- Bilstein 5100 Adj Fronts
- Bilstein 5100 Rears
- BFG A/T K02 235/85r16
- Rear diff breather mod

Interior:
-865overland bed platform

Exterior:
- Hilux 167R Snorkel
- ARB Deluxe Bull Bar
- Warn VR10000
- Relentless Fab Hood Hinge CB Mount
- Firestik 2' tunable
- Leer 100R camper shell
- Yakima Control Towers

Electronics:
- Midland 1001 LWX CB

Misc:
- Mr. Heater Buddy

Updates

2016-Feb-10: We are almost a month out from the last update. ARB bar is on. Lift is going on in a week. But, sadly, the truck has fallen victim to driveline vibration issues. I suspect an out-of-round tire that will be replaced as soon as they come off backorder. A road force balance job confirmed my suspicions. In other news, I have to pick a direction now. I'm struggling with keeping the bed platform or going with a RTT. It puts a lot of weight up high but certainly increases comfort points by a lot. Not sure if the Leer topper will support it. I also need to start thinking about sliders and a winch. Furthermore, I've been invited to a large overlanding festival later this year and want to make sure the Tacoma is ready if I need to take it. I guess it's a simple matter of priorities at this point.

2016-Jan-14: A lot has happened over a few short weeks! Snorkels, tires, camper bed builds, and various other loose ends have been tidied up. The most important of which was the tracking/alignment issue I was having. My truck now drives straight down the road!!!

2015-Dec-29: I've already ordered a number of small things for the truck but lack the larger ticket items. I plan on adding an ARB Deluxe Bull Bar with Warn M8000 winch, full underbody skidplates, sliders, CVT roof tent, and probably a rear bumper w/ tire carrier. Once Toyota figures out where they are doing about the leaf-spring recall I'll decide on coils/springs. Until then I'll just run the stock stuff with the Bilsteins at stock height. I can't really lift the truck or I wont be able to get in my garage.

Last edited:

K.Ray

Adventurer
This was the most horrible experience yet with the new Tacoma. Never buy cheap parts, kids. Never. The ujoints just didn't seem to fit to spec. Took something like 4 hours to make it all happen. The carrier was a huge pita to get off without proper tools. I also crushed my hand with a small sledge hammer. That was fun. Done now though.

9FmEt7km.jpg
zDa9saem.jpg

Oh and look what showed up!

PoSXOkJl.jpg

Last edited:

K.Ray

Adventurer
Got the Usa Spec Pa15-toy with iSimple IS335 dash mount aux input. Also, had a chance to do the hidden CB install in the center console.

ZwAqBh5l.jpg
3ObKEftl.jpg

Last edited:

K.Ray

Adventurer
Bilstein install was very easy. Shockingly easy. I decided to go with the "popping the upper ball joint" method. Didn't even need spring compressors. Was very slick.

I set the struts at 0.85" lift to level out the truck and make room for the 235/85r16 BFG KO2s that arrive this week or next.

JgUSLMom.jpg
z7dDzzsm.jpg

Btp0oOpl.jpg

Last edited:

soonenough

Explorer
This was the most horrible experience yet with the new Tacoma. Never buy cheap parts, kids. Never. The ujoints just didn't seem to fit to spec. Took something like 4 hours to make it all happen. The carrier was a huge pita to get off without proper tools. I also crushed my hand with a small sledge hammer. That was fun. Done now though.

9FmEt7km.jpg
zDa9saem.jpg
So were the Moog u-joints the cheap ones that didn't fit right? Or were they the replacement for the cheap ones that didn't fit right? I'm asking because I have an '08 that needs u-joints done at some point.

K.Ray

Adventurer
Moogs were the "premium" 354 type with the grease zerk in the trunk. Complete crap. Two out of three didn't fit right and they made some awful noises for the first day or so while they were seating (I guess). They seem okay now but what a disaster putting them in. Go find Spicers or something of better quality with the zerk on the bearing end like the stock ones.

K.Ray

Adventurer
Absolutely perfect except for the antenna connector on the bottom. The factory stereo amp sits under the arm rest and the antenna cable end gets in the way. I may try to yank that connector off and put a 90 degree connector in it's place.

Last edited:

K.Ray

Adventurer
Start in the early morning. Measure and adjust the template till dusk, then drill :D

This seems to be the common theme. Absolutely terrifying! I'm good with everything but the A-pillar holes. Once you do those it's awfully hard to go backwards. Any special precautions after it's installed? I see that touch carwashes are a no-no.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
This seems to be the common theme. Absolutely terrifying! I'm good with everything but the A-pillar holes. Once you do those it's awfully hard to go backwards. Any special precautions after it's installed? I see that touch carwashes are a no-no.

Make sure to touch up the holes with paint before the snorkel goes on.

As for special considerations, there's not much really. Primarily, I keep a flat head screwdriver in the glovebox for rotating the snorkel head if I need to. That way if I run into heavy rain or snow, or go through a carwash, I can keep excess water, snow, soap, etc. out of the intake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier