1999 Ford Ranger 4 door Paraguay

Well, we have had an eventful two days with the truck.

First, we were headed to the capital city of Paraguay, Asuncion, which is two hours from where we are currently living to begin the process to get our documentation so that we can stay beyond our visas. When I looked at my gauges and my battery light was on. Almost instantly I also noticed that I had no power steering or power brakes. I pretty much knew that I had thrown a belt and I wish that had been the extent of our troubles.

I opened the hood and the beltime was off but still intact. The water pump however was not. So, I wheeled it into the next mechanic shop on the road to see what the could do. They were able to get a water pump, but in order to take the water pump off they needed to take off another pulley. I guess the guy did not have the right size tool because he used a hammer and a screwdriver to take the bolts out.

About three hours and we were on our way. When I pulled into the parking spot where we were headed the truck overheated and turned off. So, I let it sit while we took care of some things and put some more water in it. It was leaking water from somewhere.

One of our friends recommended another mechanic so we took it to him and he flushed the radiatior and basically checked to make sure there were no leaks. Oh, by the way, it was about 95 degrees all day too. By this time it was too late to drive home and drive back, so we got a hotel.

We took care of a few more of our documents the next day and then began to head home. All the while I watching the temperature gauge like a hawk. It started to go up a little so I drove into the next service station and opened the hood. Antifreeze was coming out if the reservoir like crazy. My first thought was that the cap for the radiator must be faulty. But since I did not have one we waited for the engine to cool off, added more coolant and went on our way to a mechanic friends' shop. There, he confirmed that the cap was bad. We purchased a new one, had some tereré and went home.

It is times like these when I miss the good old USA!

livetoride21

Adventurer
Adventure ! too bad for your troubles, but those are such awesome looking trucks. I wish that 4 door ranger had been available in north america.

Yeah, one good part of the whole adventure was that the second mechanic had a 1000 cc Honda touring bike that he let me take for a spin around the block. The amazing part about this is that there are very few bikes like this here.

There are tons of motorcycles but most of them are 150 cc and 200 cc.

It made me want a motorcycle again. And the guy was telling me all about his travels around South America on that bike. It had over 180,000 km on it.

20160205_160611.jpg

Had a new radio installed the other day. The old did not work, or so I thought. When the guy took the old one out all of the wires had been cut. My guess is that it had an aftermarket radio in it and the guy wanted to keep it. No big deal. I really would have liked to have put it in myself but I do not have any tools here yet and labor is stupid cheap. He charged me less than $10 to put it in.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
View attachment 329011

Had a new radio installed the other day. The old did not work, or so I thought. When the guy took the old one out all of the wires had been cut. My guess is that it had an aftermarket radio in it and the guy wanted to keep it. No big deal. I really would have liked to have put it in myself but I do not have any tools here yet and labor is stupid cheap. He charged me less than $10 to put it in.

I'm surprised they went with the push-button 4wd selector down there. I would have thought in that market a tried-and-true floor shifter would have been the norm.

Well, we had another adventurous day with the truck. The driver side wheel bearing went out this morning. Fortunately, our friend came in and helped us find one. He drove us about three and a half hours round trip after the mechanic took it apart on the side of the road and confirmed that ithe was the wheel bearing.

It was a long hot day but thankfully we were able to find the part and now there is a new one on there. I think I am going to say that this is casualty number two of the roads here. Hopefully that is it for awhile!

WP_20160226_001.jpg

Well, today was the day to have the oil changed. Nothing spectacular but here is a picture. Had the oil changed and the fuel filter changed too. I know it may be overkill to change the fuel filter everytime I have the oil changed but from what I understand the fuel is very dirty here. I feel like it is cheap insurance.

20160228_191836.jpg20160228_193501.jpg20160228_192504.jpg

Our view yesterday from an outlook just down the road. The pictures do not do it justice. We got there just as the sun was setting and watched it fall below the horizon. It was stunning.

WP_20160302_003.jpgWP_20160302_001.jpg

Had the driver'side ball joint replaced along with the tie rods. Set me back about $200 which is not bad with the labor included but when you do not have much coming in every month it hurts. But all is good now. Even the paved roads are rough here. Hopefully next time I can post something that is not a truck repair.

20160307_144326.jpg

So now that the truck is fixed we were able to have some rest. I just thought that I would share my view today with everyone. Enjoy!

Well, we have had a ton of rain here over the past couple of days so we have not been out because the road is so bad. I am starting to go a little crazy. But, we are going out a little later. I will try and get a few pics and post them up. I hope everyone has a Happy Easter tomorrow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94