QuadsBC's 05 Double Cab Tundra Family Expo Build

QuadsBC

Adventurer
Just purchased this 05 double cab tundra. I wanted a rig that coud haul 3 kids and a 75 lbs lab,unfortunately Tacomas and my 4Runner are too small and under powered. So purchased this beast. I plan to visit all the national parks so proper maintenance will be essential.

It's a sr5 with leather seats, the rears are in good shape, the fronts... Ok but I'd like to add some seat covers.

So here is the build plan:
5 35" bfg ko2 tires- purchased
5 16" tacoma baja pro wheels- purchased
Icon extended travel coilovers with add a leaf and rear shocks- purchased
Arb rd129 and rd90 lockers- awaiting group buy
Re gear nitro 456- searching for deals
Topper- searching
Dual batteries- not thrilled with running blue tops but I got them at a price I couldn't refuse.
My rainier and fox wing awning- purchased
Dometic cf40- purchased
Everest camp stove- here

Builder items:
Custom front winch bumper
Custom swingout high clearance rear bumper- have swing out parts already.
Sliders
Under armor
Modular roof rack
Water tank
Extra fuel tank?

Hope to have most of this done by mid spring. A bit ambitious but I'll find out how muc spare time my wife will allow me.

I'll post more pictures once it stops snowing.
Stay tuned and enjoy!

Last edited:

QuadsBC

Adventurer
I assume you are going to be doing a firewall tub to run the 35s? Very pumped to watch this build.

Yes will need to tub and trim a lot. Pretty happy about not having limited flares. Less holes to fill. Another tundra owner from maine? I'm out by bar harbor, yourself?

dyogim

Explorer
The DC tundra will be a great platform to build. I'm in the process of looking for one for my cousin. One thing to add to the maintenance list, check the transfer case and diff actuators and be sure to regrease the contacts inside. These electronic actuators are very prone to malfunction and leave you without either 4Lo and/or 4Hi.

QuadsBC

Adventurer
Got some big tires!

And some bad news. I received the truck Monday night, yesterday snowed 8" and today I was finally able to go through the truck. Normal run through of the fluids, check switches, heat... You get the idea. Seeping valve cover bolts were re torqued to 53in lbs. Remove the oil cap to find this:

Pretty pissed. Cleaned it and went for a 5 mile drive, looks similar. I guess I'll get an oil change and check the results.
The oil on the dipstick is still Amber and not cloudy, and there isn't any oil in the coolant. Any outside input?

skrillah

Adventurer
Do some research on it, I don't think that is anything to worry about. My understanding is that its a condensation buildup due to the truck not being warmed sufficiently. Short drives through town for example that doesn't allow the engine to warm up all the way. The advice I've seen elsewhere is to clean it up, change the oil and keep an eye on it. Should be fine. Happy building!

Last edited:

QuadsBC

Adventurer
That is some good news! I Will monitor it. Your right on the moisture be present. Just figured there shouldn't be moisture present in the valve covers. The toyota red coolant is clean and clear( windshield washer tank is frozen).I've been pretty lucky after dealing with 10+ subarus I never had an issue with a head gasket. Transmissions and motors were different story's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne