1986 Lance Squire LS3000 Overland Build

Hutchcab

Loving your build, I just got a 1993 Squire 3000, heading out for our maiden overnight today.
Keep up the good work, giving me lots of ideas!

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Loving your build, I just got a 1993 Squire 3000, heading out for our maiden overnight today.
Keep up the good work, giving me lots of ideas!

How did your maiden voyage go? Any problems, Id love to know so I can check the same components on my camper before I head out. The 86 and 93 are still very similar

Hutchcab

Our maiden voyage went great! No issues at all. I felt a little bit of sway at times, but have since installed airbags and we went out again this weekend and everything was tight. Things I dealt with in getting it ready were pretty basic, the lance plug had been removed and replaced with a 7 way so I put a gooseneck plug in the bed, added airbags to the truck and put a couple sheets of 2" foam underneath to clear the cab of the truck.

Just starting to figure out how long the battery, propane and holding tanks will take us. So far we have filled the grey water over two weekends of use and the fresh water is down to about 1/3. No shortage of power yet (we are in Alaska, so not a ton of lights being used this time of year) and the propane seems totally unaffected, though I'm beginning to grow suspicious of the fill gauge.

The best "fixes" I've done so far have been adding a piece of 1x to the inside of the lid/floor to the small platform the table plugs into so when the table is off the floor doesn't slide off, and adding some waxed cedar in the channel below the pass through window so it is held in better. It's the little things!

Other than that, I need to get some stairs, it's just high enough to be a hassle, even with a large action packer as a step.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Our maiden voyage went great! No issues at all. I felt a little bit of sway at times, but have since installed airbags and we went out again this weekend and everything was tight. Things I dealt with in getting it ready were pretty basic, the lance plug had been removed and replaced with a 7 way so I put a gooseneck plug in the bed, added airbags to the truck and put a couple sheets of 2" foam underneath to clear the cab of the truck.

Just starting to figure out how long the battery, propane and holding tanks will take us. So far we have filled the grey water over two weekends of use and the fresh water is down to about 1/3. No shortage of power yet (we are in Alaska, so not a ton of lights being used this time of year) and the propane seems totally unaffected, though I'm beginning to grow suspicious of the fill gauge.

The best "fixes" I've done so far have been adding a piece of 1x to the inside of the lid/floor to the small platform the table plugs into so when the table is off the floor doesn't slide off, and adding some waxed cedar in the channel below the pass through window so it is held in better. It's the little things!

Other than that, I need to get some stairs, it's just high enough to be a hassle, even with a large action packer as a step.

Consider a Hellwig Big Wig swaybar. The airbags are like longer bumpstops that elevate the load. The swaybar helps keep the body in a parallel plane with the axles.
Properly valved shocks make an enormous improvement also.

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Sounds good. Glad everything went so well. i havent fired up my heater or hot water heater yet, so I hope it works. the previous owner says it did. I have a lance plug in my bed, but a 4 wire coming out of the camper, so i think i will just change the camper end to this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lance-Camper-6-wire-Plug-Truck-Camper-Side-6-way-harness-NEW-/361543553252?hash=item542dacd0e4:g:Xy4AAOSwEppUSdAP&vxp=mtr

I agree, the little custom fixes sure do make a difference.

post up some pics of the rig here if you have time, I would love to see it!!!

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
I have factory optioned overload leaf springs on the truck, with bilstein 5100's valved for the F350. I love them. I am afraid if i add air bags it will push my load just to where the overloads are barely touching their perch pads and I think that might mess with the ride or create some unwanted noise. So I will let the current setup ride for awhile to see how i like it. I have only had the camper on once for the ride home. I have had the camper off refurbishing it ever since.

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Put the stove back in today, its all refurbished and cleaned up, made a couple small repairs, should be ready to use!
The rain has stopped and supposed to be clear for the next 10 days, so its finally time to wrap the nose in diamond deck this week!! I cant wait.

IMAG1941_zpsr4czsj0u.jpg

IMAG1942_zpswdrbtjp1.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I have factory optioned overload leaf springs on the truck, with bilstein 5100's valved for the F350. I love them. I am afraid if i add air bags it will push my load just to where the overloads are barely touching their perch pads and I think that might mess with the ride or create some unwanted noise. So I will let the current setup ride for awhile to see how i like it. I have only had the camper on once for the ride home. I have had the camper off refurbishing it ever since.

Consider making the overload engage sooner by lowering the bump stop. Pretty simple to do, and fixes a lot of issues.

I was in a similar situation with mine years ago. With the camper loaded it BARELY contacted the overloads, but looked like it was dragging its butt on the blacktop.

With the bump-stops lowered, I have zero need for bags, the truck does not squat so it handles better, and overall ride is improved, loaded and unloaded.

Not my rig or picture... but this is how it is done...

Sy61hGbl.jpg

Hutchcab

I would have loved to just adjust the overloads springs on my truck, but they were removed long ago by the previous owner and replaced with something else that also disappeared before I got the truck.

The overload bump drop looks simple and effective. Having no overloads, I went with bags. A Big Wig Swaybar would also help, no doubt. If nothing else, it has been a great way to level the camper once camping.

Looks like I should start my own thread so we can compare notes! Keep up the good work. And in case you don't know the small framed out area above the breaker/fuse panel has an expanded metal screen allowing visability to the fresh water tank on mine. I have found it nice for a quick check of the fresh water tank level.

Last edited:

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Consider making the overload engage sooner by lowering the bump stop. Pretty simple to do, and fixes a lot of issues.

I was in a similar situation with mine years ago. With the camper loaded it BARELY contacted the overloads, but looked like it was dragging its butt on the blacktop.

With the bump-stops lowered, I have zero need for bags, the truck does not squat so it handles better, and overall ride is improved, loaded and unloaded.

Not my rig or picture... but this is how it is done...

Sy61hGbl.jpg

I made these to engage the overloads sooner.

View attachment 345427

Thanks for sharing, those are both great examples of a solid fix to this problem!!! After I get it back on and go on a trip with the camper loaded full of gear I will decide if I need to do this.

I would have loved to just adjust the overloads springs on my truck, but they were removed long ago by the previous owner and replaced with something else that also disappeared before I got the truck.

The overload bump drop looks simple and effective. Having no overloads, I went with bags. A Big Wig Swaybar would also help, no doubt. If nothing else, it has been a great way to level the camper once camping.

Looks like I should start my own thread so we can compare notes! Keep up the good work. And in case you don't know the small framed out area above the breaker/fuse panel has an expanded metal screen allowing disability to the fresh water tank on mine. I have found it nice for a quick check of the fresh water tank level.
I still have the viewing screen. I was thinking about flipping it vertically so I can see the full level, instead of just the top when it is full???

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
The wife picked out a new faucet today at the local hardware store. Glacier bay 4" spread brushed nickel, with a hydro powered led light aerator! Seems kind of gimmicky but i watched some youtube videos and it works quite well.

Got the blue stripes painted black, sanded, self etching primer, then rustoleum auto gloss black and clear. had to work alot last week late rain is coming back in this week so I havent got to the diamond deck nose wrap yet like planned.:mad:

IMAG1976_zps2ztbqyx6.jpg

IMAG1980_zps3tmniaul.jpg

20160518_185546_zpss1dynw6z.jpg

20160518_185632_zpsjasboj3a.jpg

Last edited:

Hutchcab

I still have the viewing screen. I was thinking about flipping it vertically so I can see the full level, instead of just the top when it is full???

That's a good idea. The power converter box is under mine, not sure if it could flip? I see your furnace vents to the rear, ours is out the driver side and it sits between the bathroom and oven. Cool to see the small layout differences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94