AT Flip Pac Coming Along....

dcoy

Adventurer
I emailed them last week and haven't gotten a response. I've never been so ready to give somebody so much cash for something I've never even seen before. I hope it's soon and I hope it's good. I've also been checking out these guys stuff lately. Apparently they have a NAM distributor now.

I like that design because the roof is still usable for cargo applications (bikes for us, in particular, but could be surfboards, solar panels, etc.). With the FlipPac and it's derivatives, unfortunately, that is not the case.

destructomatt

Adventurer
Yeah, that is the deal breaker with the Flippac and basically every other RTT widely available in the states that I'm aware of. I need to to be be able to put surfboards on the roof. Supposedly this is addressed with whatever AT has in the wings, otherwise I may have just broken down and gone another direction by now.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Yeah, that is the deal breaker with the Flippac and basically every other RTT widely available in the states that I'm aware of. I need to to be be able to put surfboards on the roof. Supposedly this is addressed with whatever AT has in the wings, otherwise I may have just broken down and gone another direction by now.

Same here, the lack of roof use was a deal breaker.

here is one RTT that can have a roof mounted rack on top.
http://www.autohomeus.com/roof-top-tent/maggiolina-grand-tour-tent.php

Last edited:

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Question on surf boards. Why can't you place the board on a soft roll - I was thinking of using a large pool noodle tied to the back footman loops, and over the torsion bar. I would have to remove the board every time I want to flip the top. But I think it would be light enough to carry. The problem as I understand it is a rack adds weight the torsion bar is not meant to lift/support.

Clutch

<---Pass
I like that design because the roof is still usable for cargo applications (bikes for us, in particular, but could be surfboards, solar panels, etc.). With the FlipPac and it's derivatives, unfortunately, that is not the case.

Same here, the lack of roof use was a deal breaker.

here is one RTT that can have a roof mounted rack on top.
http://www.autohomeus.com/roof-top-tent/maggiolina-grand-tour-tent.php

Not a deal breaker for everyone, problem if it doesn't flip all the way 180º you loose interior room, then you need to convert it from day use to night use. When I had my Wildernest, it felt roomy, plus having the bunk already there you can toss gear on the bed. Or one person can be up there, and another in the bed, during the day in bad weather. It is tight in there with 2 people already, the more room the better.

mtnbike28 said:
The problem as I understand it is a rack adds weight the torsion bar is not meant to lift/support.

When you flip it open, the rack would hit the roof of the truck...and well, anything else you had up there.

I don't like anything on the roof, so not a concern for me. If it only partially lifted say like this "Tip Top Wildernest" not sure I would like it.

wildernest tip top.jpg

Last edited:

DVexile

Adventurer
Question on surf boards. Why can't you place the board on a soft roll - I was thinking of using a large pool noodle tied to the back footman loops, and over the torsion bar. I would have to remove the board every time I want to flip the top. But I think it would be light enough to carry. The problem as I understand it is a rack adds weight the torsion bar is not meant to lift/support.

I'd think L-track might work well - low weight and low profile. Assuming you are taking the boards off before opening of course!

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratchet-Straps-Tie-Downs/Airline-Straps-Hardware

Clutch

<---Pass

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
I emailed them last week and haven't gotten a response. I've never been so ready to give somebody so much cash for something I've never even seen before. I hope it's soon and I hope it's good. I've also been checking out these guys stuff lately. Apparently they have a NAM distributor now.

View attachment 329019

http://www.alu-cab.co.za/index.php/...le-accessories/flip-roof-tent-detail?Itemid=0

Sorry to be delayed on this response, but did you try emailing Alu-Cab directly? We (OK4WD) are now the North American distributor and would be happy to help! Our first container just landed and we have 2nd and 3rd Gen Tacoma fitments in stock. Feel free to ask any questions you have and let me know how I can assist.

el_topu

Adventurer
3b944e3cdfcb39b03d48d98e080f3fb0.jpg
41d7ec8e462777b609d92764d2279ecc.jpg
17a9d11e9ba3c21b6debb09cebe2d1df.jpg

Pictures from AT FB page, weights 340 pounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94