Freezing water

rich1833

Observer
I was checking out my water storage yesterday and it got me thinking about winter. I haven't found much information on it yet. How to you keep it for freezing during the winter?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
This is a whole topic, both for "storage" and "use".

For storage, the RV world has a whole process of pumping out the water tanks and putting a food-grade antifreeze into the system, etc.:
http://www.fmca.com/polks-top-7/2807-top-7-steps-for-winterizing-your-rv-plumbing-system.html

For usage, it gets harder. Most standard RV users don't take their rigs to sub-freezing places and expect everything to keep functioning, so this becomes more the exclusive domain of the overlander! There is a lot of discussion in various places (I remember seeing a LOT of it on the Sportsmobile Forum), about keeping ALL of the water system inside the cabin, etc. There are a lot of Sportsmobile type owners who've had all the cracked pipes, broken pumps, etc. you'd expect from water freezing up in the system, especially those with external tanks or plumbing.

The other option for the larger expedition rigs is a Hydronic type system that burns fuel and circulates hot water to keep everything from freezing. Usually these can also be used with a heat-exchanger to pre-heat engine coolant and make hot water as well.

Arclight

SAR guy
It also depends on how long you're out in freezing temps. For 1-2 days, you probably won't freeze a 5 gallon jug completely unless it's REALLY cold and you're storing outside of your heated area. Otherwise, there are a few tips that work:

1. Every night, pour some water in your pot before going to bed. This way, you can thaw it on the stove and make coffee, or defrost other containers/food items first.
2. Pour a liter of boiling water into your water jug before going to bed, and insulate it with clothing, towels, etc. This will usually keep it 90% liquid until morning.
3. Keep the container inside the cab while you travel. Another variation I thought up would be to place a heating pad from the drugstore on your jug and run it from an inverter while you're moving. 80 degree water will take a LOT longer to freeze than water which is already 35.
4. Do what we did this trip: Camp next to hot springs! There's nothing better than an unlimited supply of 105 degree water for defrosting things!

Arclight

svana

Observer
We carry one of those 5 gallon water dispensers that you can buy at Home Depot or the like. I had it outside for about a week and it hadn't frozen over yet. This was in about 20* weather though, not the tundra.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giobarra