Is my ScanGauge toast?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Looking for input from Scangauge experienced folks here...
My Scangauge was working fine on my 4runner. Took it off when I sold the 4runner and plugged it into my new-to-me '04 Suburban. Earlier in the week I had plugged it in without installing it just to see if it worked and it did. I then "reset" it and put it in the back of the 'Burb until I could install it.
Went and installed it today and this is what the display looks like:
2015-12-31 16.25.25_zps1vxauyx1.jpg

2015-12-31 16.26.10_zpsive8mkaz.jpg

As you can see, the top two lines of display look OK but the bottom two only show a few vertical lines.
It has been bitterly cold these last several days - low temps around zero and daily highs in the low 20's (IOW well below freezing since before Christmas.) Wondering if maybe the LCD display somehow got damaged by the cold? Or maybe I somehow damaged the unit installing it?
I bought the SG in about 2012 and have had it on 3 different vehicles. If I have to get another one I will, not crazy about spending another $150 or so but I do like having it.
Anyone else running a SG have a similar problem?

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Mine is working fine. I don't think its been below 10F yet here this winter though.

Finlay

Triarius
Looking for input from Scangauge experienced folks here...

It has been bitterly cold these last several days - low temps around zero and daily highs in the low 20's (IOW well below freezing since before Christmas.) Wondering if maybe the LCD display somehow got damaged by the cold? Or maybe I somehow damaged the unit installing it?

Anyone else running a SG have a similar problem?

I've got a SG, and before I moved to Colorado, I lived in MN and WI. That thing has seen -25 degree temps, and worked like a champ with no issues at all.

I think you've got a bad display. You might contact their support and see if they will cut you a deal on a replacement.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Contact scan gauge, I'm sure it's way out of warranty, but they may be able to help ya out.
I did just this. Fingers crossed. I see they offer a "software upgrade" for $25, and on other forums where people have had similar problems they've offered to fix the display for the cost of the upgrade. $25 vs. $150 for a new one - that's not a tough decision. Hoping they'll be able to fix it as I love having the SG and found the perfect place to mount it in my 'Burb.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
UPDATE: Just got a response from Linear Logic (the company that makes the SGII.) Even better than I expected! They said "send us the unit for a free repair"
Great company to deal with!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
UPDATE: Just got a response from Linear Logic (the company that makes the SGII.) Even better than I expected! They said "send us the unit for a free repair"
Great company to deal with!

This matches my experience with them as well. Have only needed a couple of interactions with their customer service (intermittent backlight), but it was always very smooth and they've never charged me.

Burb One

Adventurer
+1 for Scangauge's product and their customer service. I cannot speak highly enough of them, I had a similar malfunction 4 years after purchase and they fixed it. Went out and bought two more soon after for my other cars.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Love my ScanGaugeII, has saved me thousands in fuel by making me more aware of how my driving effects gas mileage. Only complaint I can really think of is its rather limited display.

UltraGauge shows more at once, but no current trip mpg and the menus take more work to get through.

I recently acquired an old Motorola Droid4 that I'm be trying the Torque App with a ODBII/Bluetooth adapter.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
+1 for Scangauge's product and their customer service. I cannot speak highly enough of them, I had a similar malfunction 4 years after purchase and they fixed it. Went out and bought two more soon after for my other cars.
Yeah, they've been great to me. I'm sending mine back today, fingers crossed that they'll get it back to me quickly so I can put it in the 'Burb.
Love my ScanGaugeII, has saved me thousands in fuel by making me more aware of how my driving effects gas mileage. Only complaint I can really think of is its rather limited display.
UltraGauge shows more at once, but no current trip mpg and the menus take more work to get through.
I run an UltraGauge on my DD Mazda B2300. I like the display on the UG and it's much easier to calibrate for different sized tires and such (the Scangauge has to be calibrated while driving which is not that safe!)
Downsides of the UG are that you can't mount it "flush" because you need to be able to access the buttons on the back of the unit in order to operate it, a more complicated "fill up drill" than the SG and the fact that the cable is permanently attached to the unit which limits where and how you can mount it. OTOH the SG has a detachable cable and you can operate everything from the buttons on the front which lets you mount it flush into a panel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior