Long range shooting/hunting thread

MT6bt

Rock hound
The person I Bought it from didn't properly torque the turret screws down and it damaged the brass knob turret and the one that goes over it.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Dalko43

Explorer
The person I Bought it from didn't properly torque the turret screws down and it damaged the brass knob turret and the one that goes over it.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Well that stinks! At least Vortex was willing to honor the warranty.

Dalko43

Explorer
Figured I would add what I am currently shooting:

IMG_0600_zpsuyrpusnq.jpg

BigBamBoo

Observer
I do a little PRS shooting. Was heavy into 600 and 1000 yard bench rest for awhile. Pretty active in USPSA when I can get some free time.
I have a new Surgeon Scapel in 6XC that I have only gotten to shoot one match with. Only 140 through the rifle so far.

I am self employed and have been pretty busy so I have not had much time to do any long range shooting. I belong to a great range where we have a target berm at 1k yards.

Here are a couple of videos of myself and a buddy shooting at 1000 yards. Turn up the volume and listen for the ping.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vxo71WUP3l0[/video]

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_KV8JhG0BOY[/video]

Wisco

Observer
Here's a quick video I took while banging some steel last summer. I was shooting 168gr AMAX's over Varget in Lapua brass. The audio does a pretty decent job of portraying what it's like to shoot a suppressed bolt gun at distance.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Pretty much once you shoot a suppressed rifle, it's hard to go back. Shooting around unsuppressed rifles now really isn't very fun. Especially shooting around people with efficient brakes.... I've made it this far with minimal hearing loss, I prefer to keep what I have left.

The fact that we still have to pay a tax and wait 12 months (yes, I said 12 months) for a can is stupid. It took 3 days for me to get cleared by the TSA to get approved for pre-check but 12 months to get a can stamp approved. Silly.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
what sucks is that they are 100 percent illegal here. ear defenders for us....on another note, what is the 30-06 round like for long distance hunting. I have shot many moose, but mostly are close range 300 or less....actually most I could almost back the truck into them while they are falling.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Any discussion about hunting rifles, and especially if you are going to be making longer shots, needs to start with what critters you are after IMO. The right caliber choice for a western US hunter that will be hunting Antelope, Wolves, Bears, Deer and maybe the occasional Elk or Sheep is going to have different needs than a hunter in, say, Newfoundland. If memory serves, your Moose are slightly small compared to, say, a Yukon moose for example?

Regardless of that, the 30-06 is generally considered to be a poor cartridge for long range hunting. Undoubtedly, you could hit a target at extended ranges (just like I can with my .270) but in order to maintain the kinds of velocities needed for good terminal ballistics, you would have to shoot a pretty small/light bullet (140gr ish).

There are no "golden rules' in shooting or long range hunting but for the most part the practitioners are shooting 'heavy for caliber', high BC bullets at velocities north of 2800 fps. There are several calibers that achieve that pretty well (assuming your gun has the right twist rate to stabilize the bullet properly). A few of the more common calibers for long range big game hunting (as opposed to varmint sized game) are 7 Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 300 RUM, 28 Nosler, 6.5x284. In the presence of those calibers, even the "golden boy" of recent rifle calibers - 6.5 Creedmoor - doesn't stack up very well.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter much if you get your bullet to the right location a country mile away, if you don't have the right velocity on the bullet to perform its job properly then you will not like the results. For my chosen caliber (7RM) my bullet will normally fall below 1600 fps around 1200 yards (depending on elevation) which represents the absolute outer limit that my equipment can perform. My goal would be to feel confident that I could live up to the limits of my equipment, even if I don't never contemplate a shot at a critter at that range.

And I'm just as happy shooting my 270 in close because its all just hunting to me.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
No buddy, our moose are LARGE!!!!!!! very LARGE! I recently "donated" gave...my mounted rack of 51 points to a local hunting lodge....it was a massive animal. meat was a bit tough tho! True. my old 30-06 has dropped more moose in my area than any other gun. Even other people use it to "get their moose". The last animal I shot was a caribou at about 150 yrds..ha ha...most of what I am hunting is close range too....but It would be nice to know HOW far I can go and still get a clean kill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles