in the market for a fridge. narrowed it down to...

nucktaco

Adventurer
Hi!

so as the title says i am in the market for a fridge/freezer for my tacoma. we have a baja trip planned for june and are doing the alex mackenzie trail in september plus a bunch of shorter weekend trips so this seems like the right time to pull the trigger.

i have it narrowed down to the:
Solar Grape 2.75
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2055621862&pf_rd_i=desktop

or the whynter 65 quart
http://www.amazon.ca/Whynter-FM-65G..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1G4YQH9082HQFYFMC0B2

i ended up getting a bunch of money in amazon.ca gift cards over the holidays so thats where i will be purchasing from. i know im not getting an arb or an engel but i think one of these should suffice. i will be installing a dual battery/solar setup on the truck in the coming months aswell.

any suggestions for either one?

plh

Explorer
Never heard of the Solar Grape so I can't comment. Have you looked for any head to head reviews outside of Amazon? I have an Edgestar (Whynter) and its excellent - house battery and 100 watt solar.

nucktaco

Adventurer
ive been searching but cant find anything for the solar grape besides their solar panels and controllers.

the whynter is what i am leaning towards as the reviews ive found are for the most part pretty good.

nucktaco

Adventurer
did more digging and because i cant find anything on the SG fridge i pulled the trigger on the 65 quart whynter. should be here jan 7-21 as per amazon. now to decide whether i mount it in the bed or take one of the backseats out and put it in the cab.

thanks for the input.

spikemd

Explorer
Hope you enjoy. Sounds like you already bought it, but the Whynter 65 quart will be a very big fridge and draw a lot of power. The smaller Whynter draws twice the power of the 50quart ARB (based on Overland Journal shootout) so be sure you have ample battery backup. You will need over 100watts of solar to keep the battery topped off and beers cold.

Have fun in Baja. I am heading down in April and can't wait!

plh

Explorer
the Whynter 65 quart will be a very big fridge and draw a lot of power. The smaller Whynter draws twice the power of the 50quart ARB (based on Overland Journal shootout) so be sure you have ample battery backup. You will need over 100watts of solar to keep the battery topped off and beers cold.

Agreed they suck more power. I have no issues keeping my beverages chilled in my Edgestar FP430 with an Odyssey PC1200MJT as a "house" battery (pretty small battery) and a 100W panel. Might suggest a bigger house battery with your 65

nucktaco

Adventurer
yeah i figured i would rather get something a bit bigger as we normally have 2 coolers when we go (food and beverages) and this way i can just have one to worry about.

my buddy gave me a bedslide for my truck so my plan is to mount it back there along with a decent deep cycle. i was able to score a solar roof off a smart car through my work and from my reading its a 100 watt solar panel. the plan is to mount it to the roof of my tacoma and use that to help keep the house battery topped off.

Kartman35

Hope you enjoy. Sounds like you already bought it, but the Whynter 65 quart will be a very big fridge and draw a lot of power. The smaller Whynter draws twice the power of the 50quart ARB (based on Overland Journal shootout) so be sure you have ample battery backup. You will need over 100watts of solar to keep the battery topped off and beers cold.

Have fun in Baja. I am heading down in April and can't wait!

Just a quick note on that review...If memory serves, the ARB fridge in that shootout article was an older model that used a swing motor compressor that has a lot more in common with current Engels than current ARBs...The Whynter uses the same style compressor as the current ARB fridges and is likely more in line with the consumption of that as a result.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I bought a used engel 45 in great condition, it has been running since I have it. It hardly draws any power and keeps everything cold or frozen from solar power only.
While you have credit, maybe a used unit will fit your needs better...

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Truck Fridge makes good stuff. The same company makes Indel-B fridges and I believe Waeco as well. I bought an Indel-B almost a year ago and it's been flawless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior