all terrain tires for Vario 814D in Mexico and/or further south

olafboswijk

Observer
I've found Aeolus ADR35 in 17.5 in San Jose for a very decent price. 6 tyres for approx 1000 euros. does anyone have any thoughts on using this kind of drive axle tyres on all wheels?

so far it seems there aren't any all terrain type profiles in 17.5 sizes but I am determined to get more grip before entering South America :)

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
I think you will just find the steering to be more vague with the drive wheels on the front. It may be disconcerting in the beginning but you will get used to it

olafboswijk

Observer
looks like I can find some Michelin Multi D 17.5 tyres in Bogota. if my current tyres hold up until we get there in a month, I think that will be the choice.
even in Panama I could only find highway/steering tyres in this size. never thought it would have been this difficult

Since they're so hard to find I would suggest you follow the previous suggestion of getting eight replacing the spare and carrying one inside unmounted with stuff crammed into it to save space.

olafboswijk

Observer
Since they're so hard to find I would suggest you follow the previous suggestion of getting eight replacing the spare and carrying one inside unmounted with stuff crammed into it to save space.

yes thanks charlie. you mean the Multi D's are hard to source? do you have experience with these?

olafboswijk

Observer
just a heads up that I finally found tyres with my magic numbers!! eventually in Barranquilla in Colombia I found the Multi D in 215/75R/17.5. although they are drive tyres, I've mounted them on all wheels and am quite happy with how it feels. we've had highways, dirt roads, some mud and lots of mountains and so far the grip is very good and steering not as stiff as I thought. only thing is that the steering wheel is vibrating slightly when braking, which is strange as everything has been aligned and balanced and the brake pads were recently replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier