adding BAG AWNING track to flip pac

wivrrat

Now that I have the rain fly squared away, has anyone added a bag awning track to either the side or rear of the flip pac and if so, did you bolt all the way thru to the interior or just into the side/back wall. I'm thinking of putting a track on both sides and rear so that I have the option of erecting it on either side or back. Searched the past threads and didn't really see my answer. Going to buy a 6' bag awning. They seem to be relatively cheap, around $200.00. thx

billy bee

Adventurer
There are threads on drilling into/through the shell. There is some steel framing in both the lid and shell around the perimeter of the shell where the shell and lid meet There are some pictures of a cut up FP here somewhere where you can see the construction and figure out how/where you want to attach your awning.

Bill

Arclight

SAR guy
Thanks Bill, I'll look some more. Bill

Use a magnet to locate the 1x1.5" square steel framing near the lid, and drill for the center of that. If you are drilling another hole below it, be mindful of the camper lights on the left, and the Aluminum track for the hammock on the right. Make sure the crank handle will clear going both directions if mounting on the left side. I like having the awning on the side, as the truck provides more shade that way.

Arclight

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I built a frame to mount mine and used long backing plates inside to spread the load. I did not drill through teh metal, I was told there may be a gap between fiberglass and the steel tube that can be crushed.

011915poda.jpg

The down tubes are square tube painted with Plasticoat, the top cross is angle and the bottom bar is flat stock. All aluminum so I don't have rust, all the hardware is stainless.

011915podg.jpg

The backing plate

011915podf.jpg

I used foam tape like for truck caps to keep the aluminum off the fiberglass

011915podh.jpg

Very solid and been on full time for a year!

011915podi.jpg

wivrrat

Thanks for the info. I looked into the ARB 49" rear one but since my FP is a older version, the latch's are on the rear. Wouldn't be able to slide awning on and off. I'll go for the sides as I was originally planning. Track on each side giving me the option of either side for shade. I had already purchased a 5' x 5' easy up to cover the rear, with sides that I can make a small room out of. Haven't tried it yet, but when I do, I'll post some pictures, should cover the whole rear with the latch in up position. Picture of my FP rear.

Attachments

• flip pac rear.jpg
    flip pac rear.jpg
    539.6 KB · Views: 19

Arclight

SAR guy
Oh, one other thing: Make sure you can still operate the latches with the awning in place. It seems obvious, but you might find out that relocating it 1/2" forward means the difference between easy operation and a PITA every time you open the Flippac. Also, the above poster is correct about the gap - mine had one. It didn't really matter in my case, as I didn't put a huge amount of pressure on those 1/4x20 rivnuts I installed.

Arclight

wivrrat

Arclight, thanks for the info. I will most likely install on the side also. Did you use self tapping screws. Not sure what rivnuts are, but will look them up. What size track did you put up. I'm looking at a bag awning from ztronics. Classic, 6' wide, just wrote them for info on the size of the track. thx

wivrrat

Looked up a video on rivnuts, don't own that kind of tool. So you have a ARB awning that slides on extended nuts? I think the awning I'm looking at doesn't mount that way. Will look into it. I believe they just screw onto the wall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles