Jerry Cans Plastic vs Metal

rathvona

Observer
So I'm debating on whether to go all plastic cans for fuel and water or plastic for water and metal for fuel. I'd appreciate your thoughts on what you or people have done in the past.

Also if anyone knows any sites or places to get cheap plastic and/or metal jerry cans that would be helpful.

Austin

M35A2

Tinkerer
I standardize on metal Jerry cans for fuel.

I am not crazy about putting potable water in plastic containers, but I do.

762X39

Explorer
I now use MFC's and MWC's by Scepter with no concerns whatsoever. I find the metal cans to be a pain and not as sturdy or trouble free as the MFC's. I used to carry about 5 metal fuel cans with my Mog but the Scepters (even the 20 year old ones) are way better than the metal (mine were Swiss and German) ones.
Fill er up.jpg
Me using my now scrapped metal fuel cans.:coffee:

I had some plastic MFCs and went to the steel NATO cans because of the way the plastic will expand/contract with temps and elevation. Then after a few trips with the steel cans I sold them and went back to plastic because of how freakin loud the steel cans rattled in the carriers off road, lol.

I seeing as how they essentially work the same, I vote for which ever will suit your needs and not be annoying with your setup. ;)

takesiteasy

Adventurer
I have 2 metal NATO cans for fuel and just bought Scepter MFCs to replace them. I was surprised how quickly the NATO cans would start to rust when carried on the truck through bad weather. Other than that, I like them. The cap closure mechanism is better than the Scepters which can get stuck and require a wrench to loosen. The spouts are easier to use and carry. Scepter spouts are expensive or you make your own. At the end of the day, I want to be able to put the cans on the truck and forget about them and not worry about maintaining them when I get home. I suspect that is why the military made the change from metal to plastic. That and the plastic ones melt rather than explode in a fire. I'm going to keep the metal ones for a while though to cover my bases while I give the Scepters a try.

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
I just picked up 3 metal older jerry cans for fuel. All stamped US and more. I like the older style and spouts better than all the newfangled crap. Thats the main reason I didn't go with Rotopax, aside from the crazy pricetags.

For water Im thinking plastic. Hasn't killed me yet, and they make totes that are supposedly safer.

I have not used the NATO style cans.

rathvona

Observer
I like the Scepters but there out of my budget. Do you think used surplus military water/fuel cans would be fine (plastic)?

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I use metal fuel and metal (1957 French 10L wine cans) and plastic scepter 10L & 20L (civilian & military) water cans.
The traditional metal Jerry cans gave great service until the gaskets from Blitz wore out. The replacement noname gaskets from on line sources sealed too well (did not allow the pressure to relieve itself) causing the cans to flex (during cold/hot cycles) and eventually crack & leak... Looking for a good (cheap) source of plastic military 20L fuel cans now. I probably won't go to NATO metal fuel cans.

The French wine cans have done well (these are lined) however they are rusting inside at the seams. (I did have to form some gaskets from food grade silicone RTV, the originals had cracked.
The 10 and 20 liter Scepter water jugs work, but the tops are a bit tight to screw down all the way by hand without a special purpose wrench.

I never have had a metal jerry can, or the French wine cans rattle on or off road; but then, I tie/strap them down in traditional Jerry can holders (a metal cage/holder without straps would likely drive me further round the bend).

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
I bought these:
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/GJC20K4

They work great, but I keep them in my shed when they're not in use so they're not exposed to much weather. They seal completely, no venting. No rattles when held down with 2" ratchet straps.

DSCN1635.JPG

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
I recently purchased 10 and 20 litre military grade scepter water jugs. I've have them out several times and I am very pleased with them. The are a bit more pricey than the Reliance jugs I replaced, but I expect I won't be needing to buy new ones every year like with the Reliance jugs. I camp out at a minimum once a month.

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
I have some sceptre MFCs. Had them 11 years. I find the inside piece of the cap tends to split. The outside threaded part has not been a problem. I have been careful to use gasoline gaskets but the thin area of the ring tends to split and tear. Sometimes causing a crack to allow gas to leak out the top. At first inthought it was a diesel gasket swelling, but there have been too many instances of internal cap piece breaking. I do not use the wrench to tighten, but sometimes have to use it to loosen. Spare cap parts are my friend, but getting expensive and hard to locate in the US. I only had one problem when i had a yellow strap and started putting gas in the can. The can police stopped me. Overall, the sceptre MFC has been the best i've found, other than Justrite "safety" cans, a spouted one is about $80.

My sceptre MWCs are more liquid tight. As long as i am careful with cleanliness, there is no taste or other issues.

luk4mud

Explorer
I prefer the plastic over the metal, as rust becomes an issue over time. As I am getting older, I like the Rotopax better than the Scepter. The 3 gallon container is alot lighter to lift and I rarely need to carry more than 2 of them.

FYI, Rotopax occasionally has "blems" on their website that sell for a good discount. I have a couple, they work great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior