The odd couple. 83' Palomino Mini L and 04' Ram 1500

GI Pirate

Observer
Shakedowns

Now that we had some more work done it was time for a few shakedowns.
Trap Hill, NC:

IMG_0394.jpg

Last edited:

GI Pirate

Observer
IMG_0408.jpg[/I]
I love the Camp Chef in the background. The griddle option is amazing. Everything taste better cooked on that way. However, it weighs 900 lbs and it seems that every time I travel with it, it sustains more damage due to its own weight. I am thinking about just stepping all the way down to a Coleman unless the need arises to cook for more than 6 people at a time.

Last edited:

amclumberjack

Great looking camper ! I'm looking at one in not as good shape and am wondering can you and the gf fit in the bed ? The one I'm looking at is only 44 wide (cab over )

LuckyDan

Adventurer
I think you are going to have a grand time with that setup. It looks nice, and if it don't leak, you're golden. Enjoy the ride, bro.

Anyhow, welcome to the rodeo!

What he said. It's nice to see someone else getting use of a "Vintage" camper. Travel on campers....

maktruk

Observer
Your converter, in its original 1983 form, was only there to replace the battery if you had shore power available. That's what the switch is for, it selects shore power or battery as the 12v power source. It is also not designed to recharge your battery from shore power.

I would replace it with a converter from Progressive Dynamics, I bought a new PD9245C from Amazon for around $150. With it you can run off shore power and charge your battery (intelligently, 3 stage charging) at the same time. The downside is it is not by any means a unit that will fit in the stock location. I believe WFCO has one to fit the opening for the old BW's

maktruk

Observer
Btw, Palominos rock. That's a good camper Id kill to have one on my Nissan.

2a10d2258b6229826b3238749870ec6c.jpg
3bb13f365bb7ee5273538902eb98f0ef.jpg

GI Pirate

Observer
Great looking camper ! I'm looking at one in not as good shape and am wondering can you and the gf fit in the bed ? The one I'm looking at is only 44 wide (cab over )

Yeah, at 5'9" I am pretty snug with a pillow, some one a little taller could squeeze but it would be tight. Width wise we really have plenty, but she like to encroach so neither of us really spreads out or anything.

GI Pirate

Observer
Your converter, in its original 1983 form, was only there to replace the battery if you had shore power available. That's what the switch is for, it selects shore power or battery as the 12v power source. It is also not designed to recharge your battery from shore power.

I would replace it with a converter from Progressive Dynamics, I bought a new PD9245C from Amazon for around $150. With it you can run off shore power and charge your battery (intelligently, 3 stage charging) at the same time. The downside is it is not by any means a unit that will fit in the stock location. I believe WFCO has one to fit the opening for the old BW's

So I need to do a full break down. I went high dollar on my electrica system. Went with a Parralax. More to follow.

GI Pirate

Observer
Btw, Palominos rock. That's a good camper Id kill to have one on my Nissan.

2a10d2258b6229826b3238749870ec6c.jpg
3bb13f365bb7ee5273538902eb98f0ef.jpg

Nice! My brother just got a Palomino pop-up. Its huge though. He needs to lift it for more ground clearance and get a skid plate for the water tank. But other than that its ready to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior