If you were to start all over with a brand new truck, which would you choose?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I would get a rebel. Add the quick cheat lift, 35's and done with the mechanical mods. Add in some lightbar, truck cap, and interior goodies. DONE.

PowerWagner

Explorer
Had my Gen 4 PW for almost 4 years now. As one poster said - "It's an excellent tool" and I would agree. Its not my daily driver and is used for what it was made for; off-road travel. It does almost everything I've been willing to do with it with a few exceptions; high speed desert travel which is where a raptor fits in nicely. My PW tends hit the front bump stops relatively easily when hitting undulations at speeds between 15 and 20 mph or speeds over 40 mph. Maybe its me the driver... If I had to choose again, I would go with a Gen 3 PW only because its a bit smaller, line of site on approach is better, and you can go with a larger tire set up a lot easier IMO. The Gen 4 however I think is more comfortable and roomy from an interior perspective. MPG does suck but hey, its a giant truck and out door exploring is my hobby so I'm willing to spend the $'s on gas for the functionality the truck provides my family and I for our specific needs. Our needs are: Carry entire family of four and two dogs with enough gear and crap to handle 3-4 days camping while maybe towing our pop-up camper or friends bikes or sea-doo's and do so comfortably so that if we say go to Utah from So. Cal. we're not grouchy and stiff from sitting next to all the gear for 10 hours straight and then once there take us on any trail we may want to run safely and reliably. Lots of that is relative...

Good luck and enjoy whatever direction you decide to take!

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Well my pockets probably aren't as deep as most of the people here. I'd love a new raptor, power wagon maybe.

A couple months back I bought a '15 Sierra 1500. I bought the GM because I work at the GM dealer (which is why I am pretty much brand loyal). A few days later, my brother in law bought a '15 F150 (3.5L I believe)(because he works at the Ford dealer). We'll see who's lasts longer lol.

There's not really a ton I love about the new truck, most days I would rather drive my 07. The new one is smoother, quieter, better sounds system, etc. The things you would expect from a new truck, but I like the ol truck, so much more basic, easier on the wallet, requires some driver input, etc. I like that when you stomp on it, it goes. The other one is so idiot proof even with traction control off, there's still traction control or anti slip B.S.

Oh well, dosent really matter too much what I think, my wife is happy with it.

RedF

Adventurer
So the Diesel vs gas debate is hot no matter where you go in the truck world. 15-16mpg in a full size truck unloaded isn't bad for gas. Not at all, and probably not worth the premium price and repair cost for an extra 5-7mpg diesel counterpart (talking Dodge 6.4 vs CTD here at least). My best friend has an '03 CTD, and gets 21-22mpg tuned with a built trans and exhaust/FASS, etc. Problem with modern diesels, they don't typically get good MPG until you do thousands of dollars in mods and void your warranty. You can buy A LOT of gas for the 3-5k it costs to fully delete and tune a diesel pickup. And then you have no warranty on your 60k truck. For the cost of a common rail injector set, I can buy a new 8.1 for my Sub from GM.

Diesel was more expensive than gas for quite a while here, plus the higher initial purchase price, plus the exorbitant cost of repairs... diesel does not make sense for many users.

Starting from scratch, I'd get a new F150 4x4 with the 2.7l ecoboost.

Add a rear locker, better shocks and stiffer springs and be done with the mods.

R

You can have the F150 with a selectable rear locker from the factory.

If I could buy a "new" truck, I'd jump in my time machine and buy a 1993 Dodge with the Cummins. Since that's not a reality, but in reality I will be needing a new (okay, for me it will be newer) pickup, I am looking pretty hard at the F150. I'd go crew cab with a 6.5' box, probably a V8, as I don't have total long term confidence in the turbo motors.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
For those with the Power Wagon did it give you any pause to having the gas engine and the rather poor MPG vs. an HD truck with a diesel modified to similar PW specs. As much as I crave a PW the gas mileage makes me wonder if you could build up a quality diesel version. I've not run the number to determine the return on investment or if you could even get some of the PW stuff on a diesel without starting from scratch. I'm intrigued to see how the Nissan does with their 1/2 ton diesel.
In the end I think the main decision point is what is mentioned above is what towing and payload capacity you need. If a 1/2 ton fits then that would be the most economical. If money is no limit, then my vote is the Power Wagon (with AEV package).

When I was trying to decide if I should buy a new truck, I looked into throwing some items at my 2004 that was fairly modded (Kore Suspension, 35" tires, and portable winch). ARB lockers and 4.56 gears would have cost me around $4,000 and would not have had the factory warranty from Ram.

If we do the quick math on what you would have to buy that comes straight from the factory Power Wagon
Lockers/Gears: $4,000
Winch: $1,500
Lift Kit with softer springs: at least $1,500
Rough Estimate: $7,000 and that doesn't count the factory disconnecting sway bar. If you look at it that way, a Power Wagon is a really good deal.

p nut

butter
Well, I actually did start over and after having Toyotas and....Toyotas, I ended up with a Ford. F150 with 2.7L, 3.55 locked (would have gone 3.73 if I towed more). Didn't opt for the FX4 package, as I'm planning on changing the shocks anyway.

Based on my intended usage:
- daily driver
- family camper. The rear passenger space was much better than gmc I looked at.
- I tow occasionally (a 4K lb trailer)
- for the "off-roading" I do, simple front lift and 33's will do just fine.

I'm averaging 21mpg and the little 2.7 has impressive power. I'm happy so far. Hope it will be as dependable as my Toyotas have been.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
My PW tends hit the front bump stops relatively easily when hitting undulations at speeds between 15 and 20 mph or speeds over 40 mph.
I have not had that problem except at pretty high speeds. I recently added a set of Boogie Bumps to the front of my 3G plus Thuren Fox 2.0 shocks and the truck is good for 60mph-plus through plowed fields, as long as you are belted in.

Badin

Chevy with 5.3, g80 locker, and gentleman's choice on extended or crew cab. Why? I got that same combo on a 2000, still have it, and it is still running tight after 215,000 miles. Got another in 2010, has 75,000 miles, again no issues and gets 20 mpg on freeway. Both are straight stock down to the tires. If these trucks can't take me were I need to go with out risk of damage, it's time to break out the 88 Toyota sc sb 4x4 beater. I had -it's still in the family- a 99 dodge 3/4 4x4 diesel 5 speed quad cad short bed. All parts not made by dodge have lasted well.

As Scooter

Observer
I have the option of a variety of trucks. I have Toyotas, and every version of ford, gas, diesel, and a jeep. Additionally, I also have the luxury of owning a Honda Odyssey.
If I'm towing heavy, give me a new f-250 with the 6.2. Plenty of power, and very reliable.
OTR traveling, give me my Raptor. Supercharged, and plenty of power, stupid power. Plus it makes sure that blood is properly flowing to my nether regions. On top of that, it rides far better than any truck, and in my opinion is comparable to my wife's Avalon.
If I am towing my jeep, and planning on staying in hotels, the raptor is what tows it, for all the above reasons.
If it is a trip less than a hundred miles, I can hop in my jeep.

To say that there is one perfect vehicle is just silly.

kmcoop7

Observer
east west

East of the Mississippi river - I would get a F150 or Ram 1500 eco-diesel, unless I needed payload or towing capacity of an HD truck

West of the Mississippi - I would recommend a Ram 3500 or F350 with a Diesel, IF you actually go off road. If you stick to logging roads, same as east of Mississippi truck

I chose a Ram 3500 with a cummins.

I say the diesel is worth it. The only real added maintenance cost is fuel filters which is $220 every 15k miles for me at the dealership. Sure you can have an expensive problem but get an extended warranty if you are worried about it. Diesels and their associated emissions are now just as reliable as gassers.

Regarding the upfront cost of diesel, you don't make it up in fuel economy, you make it up in resale. More than make it up most times. I just sold my 2 year old cummins truck for $3k less than I paid for it with 60k miles on it.

I recommend a 3/4 or one ton as they are just so simple and cheap to make into durable solid off roaders. All you really need are some 37" tires. Springs and shocks help to smooth out the ride if you have money to burn. A one ton ford or dodge with 37" tires is a good off roader. No worries about clearance or whimpy parts. Compared to all of the stuff you have to do to a modern suv or 1/2, and the limitations you encounter with those vehicles a big truck is just easier to mod. They come built for abuse.

If you think a HD truck to too big to drive on trails, you probably haven't done it. They fit. Just like other trucks. Turning around can be somewhat limiting, but other than that they fit. I take my crew cab long bed on all the trails I took my built 80series landcruiser in Colorado with the exception of Holy cross.

to top it off, it is easy to sleep in an 8' bed. Not so much in those whimpy little 5.5' beds.

I would personally go with a ram with a cummins and add lockers before a power wagon, but I love diesel power!

kmcoop7

Observer
but

A one ton truck sucks as a daily driver. Make sure you are going to use it before you go buy one!

My wife always asks how my new truck drives and my answer is always........."like a moving van"

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
I've had my Power Wagon (2012 ST) for just shy of 3 years now. I bought it brand new in January 2013. I have over 50k miles on it now. It does VERY well offroad!!! (especially now with a mixture of Carli and Thuren parts for about 1.5" lift and some 37x12.50R17 Nitto trail grapplers on the stock wheels) Overall I have been quite pleased with it.I drive it everyday!

Before I bought it, I looked at a 2012 Cummins but, honestly, I wouldn't buy a new diesel with all the finicky emissions stuff they have on them now, they seem very failure prone unless you are constantly towing things on the highway. Everything I've read points to them not fairing well as daily drivers.

If I could, I would go back in time and buy a 2007 Duramax Classic crew cab (not an extended cab like the one I had (07 is best year, IMO all the power, no emissions garbage, AND 6 speed Allison!)), then I would do a coilover/link solid axle swap up front with about 4" lift and pushing the front axle forward about 2" and 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers. That setup would be perfect!!! (an average between the stock Duramax I had and the Power Wagon I have!)

But, since I can't go back in time, I am sticking with my Power Wagon!!!!

PowerWagner

Explorer
I have not had that problem except at pretty high speeds. I recently added a set of Boogie Bumps to the front of my 3G plus Thuren Fox 2.0 shocks and the truck is good for 60mph-plus through plowed fields, as long as you are belted in.

YEah, I added some boogies as well. Also the Carli Bilsteins. Its gotta be me or maybe its something else I'm feeling/hearing..

legendaryandrew

Adventurer
I've had my Power Wagon (2012 ST) for just shy of 3 years now. I bought it brand new in January 2013. I have over 50k miles on it now. It does VERY well offroad!!! (especially now with a mixture of Carli and Thuren parts for about 1.5" lift and some 37x12.50R17 Nitto trail grapplers on the stock wheels) Overall I have been quite pleased with it.I drive it everyday!

Before I bought it, I looked at a 2012 Cummins but, honestly, I wouldn't buy a new diesel with all the finicky emissions stuff they have on them now, they seem very failure prone unless you are constantly towing things on the highway. Everything I've read points to them not fairing well as daily drivers.

If I could, I would go back in time and buy a 2007 Duramax Classic crew cab (not an extended cab like the one I had (07 is best year, IMO all the power, no emissions garbage, AND 6 speed Allison!)), then I would do a coilover/link solid axle swap up front with about 4" lift and pushing the front axle forward about 2" and 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers. That setup would be perfect!!! (an average between the stock Duramax I had and the Power Wagon I have!)

But, since I can't go back in time, I am sticking with my Power Wagon!!!!

LOL 10k in suspension work on top of the premium priced truck!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior