If you were to start all over with a brand new truck, which would you choose?

NorCalBronco

Observer
If Ford ever makes a Ranger again (small one, not mid size like the newer tacomas and such) I think I would go back to that. Would be great with the 2.7 ecoboost. I miss the size and the all in one aspect of the small trucks. Oh well :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zb39

Adventurer
2016 crew cab DRW 1 ton. RAM, diesel, 4x4, Laramie Limited. 5th wheel prep and all options in black. I ordered it a month ago. will pull my fiver and carry my camper, just not at the same time. This is my 6th diesel.

legendaryandrew

Adventurer
I don't think anyone in insinuating that there is a "perfect vehicle" out there for all purposes.

Not at all. The question is one more of wisdom than finding perfection. We all have an idea, and start with it, but at some point during the process and after our idea has evolved several times, our initial idea is maybe no longer recognizable. Say you love off road travel, and buy a JK because it's one of the best money CAN buy. You then get married and have children. Now the jeep doesn't fit anymore, but say you have too much invested into it to walk away. At this point, wisdom would have most likely led you to buy a fullsize from the start. Maybe not. THAT is the point of the question.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
My PW got no suspension mods before it was ten years old, and then only because it was time for new shocks. Ran 35's the whole time with no problems. Never broke anything except the CD player because it couldn't take the pounding offroad. I don't think I'll get my ********** done.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
2016 crew cab DRW 1 ton. RAM, diesel, 4x4, Laramie Limited. 5th wheel prep and all options in black. I ordered it a month ago. will pull my fiver and carry my camper, just not at the same time. This is my 6th diesel.

Did you get the HO and Aisin? Nice truck. I just have a lowly old tradesman with ONLY 800ft lbs. I imagine the 900ft lbs. will be nice.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
You know the game - mods, mods, and more mods. It's never good enough! For some folks its a hobby or maybe an addiction. Some get their ********** done other's their trucks...

At least with trucks there are added functionality :Wow1:

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
LOL 10k in suspension work on top of the premium priced truck!?

IIRC it was about $7k worth of suspension on a $37K truck. (truck's sticker was $45280 but, I'm a lifetime member of Tread Lightly so, I got that discount)
I didn't go whole hog on the suspension (one can easily surpass $15k if one is wont to do so), my suspension consists of:
Carli:
MIG/mild control arms
Track bar
Fabricated towers
3" Hemi coils springs
Full rear leaves (regular set (not heavy duty or long travel))
2.5" King shocks (remote resi, stainless shafts)
Thuren:
Rear shackles

Realistically the suspension was not completely necessary, I just wanted the truck a little higher since I was tired of constantly dragging my truck's belly over rocks. So, then I got to looking at suspension options and it escalated from there... LOL!

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
This is a great thread! Perfect timing! I have a '13 4Runner Trail that I'm looking to trade towards a new PW. I can't make up my mind on what to do. Actually camping while I type this.

The PW looks like a fantastic option for the heavy haul, family oriented, outdoor enthusiastic overlander. I'm in negotiations with the Ram dealer now.

PWCAN

So the Diesel vs gas debate is hot no matter where you go in the truck world. 15-16mpg in a full size truck unloaded isn't bad for gas. Not at all, and probably not worth the premium price and repair cost for an extra 5-7mpg diesel counterpart (talking Dodge 6.4 vs CTD here at least). My best friend has an '03 CTD, and gets 21-22mpg tuned with a built trans and exhaust/FASS, etc. Problem with modern diesels, they don't typically get good MPG until you do thousands of dollars in mods and void your warranty. You can buy A LOT of gas for the 3-5k it costs to fully delete and tune a diesel pickup. And then you have no warranty on your 60k truck. For the cost of a common rail injector set, I can buy a new 8.1 for my Sub from GM.

What about Ram 1500 Ecodiesel.. nearly 30mpg. 3Ltr turbo diesel not short on power/torque at all. Big Cummins etc. seem unnecessary for most jobs.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
If Ford ever makes a Ranger again (small one, not mid size like the newer tacomas and such) I think I would go back to that. Would be great with the 2.7 ecoboost. I miss the size and the all in one aspect of the small trucks.

They WILL! But it'll be a few years.

Ford missed the boat and Chevy/GMC is eating their mid-size lunch. Rumor is there'll be a Bronco too based on the new Ranger.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Did the OP use the adjective "reliable" when referring to a Chrysler product?
My PW is ten years old and has been, by far, the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned, bar none. Ten years and it has only needed a water pump, exhaust manifold bolt, and the CD player. Way better than my three GM trucks, way better than my first Toyota truck, way better than my Mitsubishi or Mazda trucks. Don't know about the "new" 2008 Tundra because I have not driven it much, but when I bought it at 68M, it needed a few fixes.

legendaryandrew

Adventurer
What about Ram 1500 Ecodiesel.. nearly 30mpg. 3Ltr turbo diesel not short on power/torque at all. Big Cummins etc. seem unnecessary for most jobs.

Still has the cost and complexity associated with a common rail diesel. Great fuel efficiency though, I agree!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier