Best Vehicle for Urban AND Wilderness Travel?

uncompromise

Adventurer
I'm looking to buy / build my own rig for frequent travel throughout the US. It needs to be relatively compact, and able to get into some of the more remote parts of the country. I'm not looking for a rock crawler, but definitely not your standard RV / truck that couldn't get out of a tight spot if I got into one.

I also need to be able to drive it in an urban environment, so I'm not looking to go crazy in terms of length or width. Definitely needs enough ground clearance to be able to drive off road, comfortably, without being concerned about tearing something off the undercarriage. When I was living in Australia I had a pop-top FJ45 Troopy that took me into some of the most remote parts of the country, but was equally comfortable to drive around the city.

I'm a frequent traveler outside of the US, so this vehicle will effectively be my home when I'm here (for up to a month at a time). It needs to be able to contain a shower, bed, kitchen - fridge and stove - my gear, an electric mountain bike (for getting around just about anywhere I can't take the truck) and have enough height for my 6'1" frame. While I know that for serious 4x4ing I want to keep the center of gravity low, I'd rather be able to stand in a high top than a pop top.

Shore power is desirable, as is adequate roof space for solar power, long range fuel tanks, and storage for both black and gray water - as well as potable water, obviously - so that I can get off grid for a week or two at a time.

In short, it needs to be completely self-contained, high enough to stand up in, preferably short enough to fit in a standard parking spot (max 10'x20'), wide enough to be able to sleep the width (rather than the length) of the vehicle, and accessible via the cab. I know it's possible, but after months of reading and researching I can't determine the right path forward. So I'm asking smarter and more experienced people (you lot) for advice.

I've been looking around at various configurations for my needs, and have narrowed it down to a few options:
- a 4x4 van with a high top
- a 4x4 box truck
- a 4x4 chassis (cutaway or flat tray) with a 10'-14' box mounted on it.
- a 4x4 pickup with a truck camper

Diesel, not gas, for what I presume are obvious reasons.

My budget is around $10K-$15K, which seems aggressive but achievable. That doesn't include any sort of fit out, just the vehicle. I'd be doing most of the work myself, but not experienced enough to tackle a 4x4 conversion or a box mount.

Looking forward to your feedback and suggestions. I'm not in a rush to buy - I have an '84 E350 Ambulance (not 4x4) that I've just gutted and am converting to a camper - but it's not going to suit my needs long term.

Last edited:

Raul

Adventurer
An AWD, hi roof Express/ Savana may check most of your boxes. Gas engine will be easier to fix and cheaper to operate.

Klutch7

If you're really set on a diesel, I vote for a Duramax Chevrolet Express/ GMC Savana. Came from the factory in many configurations. The Duramax is a good motor, but look for one that's been properly maintained. 2006-2007 LBZ motors seem to be the favorite for full-size truck guys from the reliability standpoint (I'm assuming the same translates to the van platform). You don't get the Allison transmission, but the 4l80e should be fine for your use.

Depending on how much driving you plan to do annually, finding a nice gasser 5.3l or 6.0l of the same van may save you money in the long run, per Raul's comments above.

uncompromise

Adventurer
Thanks guys - appreciate the feedback so far.
Why gas over diesel? Everything I've researched seems to suggest that a diesel engine is cleaner, lasts longer, gets better mileage and is more reliable. Right now I'm driving an 81 Mercedes 300D with 350,000 miles on her, and the mechanic seems to think she's going to run through at least 500,000. She's been well-maintained, admittedly, but the engine shows no sign of slowing. That's a sedan, granted, but even here on the portal there seems to be a preference for diesel. Clearly I'm missing something.

Re mileage, I imagine I'll be doing 7,000-10,000 miles a year.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Thanks guys - appreciate the feedback so far.
Why gas over diesel? Everything I've researched seems to suggest that a diesel engine is cleaner, lasts longer, gets better mileage and is more reliable. Right now I'm driving an 81 Mercedes 300D with 350,000 miles on her, and the mechanic seems to think she's going to run through at least 500,000. She's been well-maintained, admittedly, but the engine shows no sign of slowing. That's a sedan, granted, but even here on the portal there seems to be a preference for diesel. Clearly I'm missing something.

Re mileage, I imagine I'll be doing 7,000-10,000 miles a year.

Those points are valid for older Diesel engines. However I'm not sure they all apply to modern Diesel engines with American emissions equipment. If you are looking for a old style bullet proof Diesel engine your options are somewhat limited.Basically as I see it you are looking for a 7.3L Ford van or cab chassis.

Finding one already converted to 4x4 in your budget will be tough.

Good luck

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
I've been looking around at various configurations for my needs, and have narrowed it down to a few options:
- a 4x4 van with a high top
- a 4x4 box truck
- a 4x4 chassis (cutaway or flat tray) with a 10'-14' box mounted on it.
- a 4x4 pickup with a truck camper

You know this, but if SF is your urban environment then none of these will be fun. Well, I guess unless you find parking at 11am and don't move it. I feel like I'm trying to hand out fresh baby fur seal pelts when I look for parking around here.

Petrolburner

Explorer
I wish I had gone with a 10' Box van at times. More space in the back and easier angles to deal with. I have a passenger van and at first I loved all the windows. I made reflectix shades for all the windows in the back and have rarely removed them since them. I may as well remove my windshield mounted rear view mirror.

uncompromise

Adventurer
Hi all - been in research mode; love the feedback - it's why I joined this forum. Has given me much to ponder, and now I'm back ...
Raul - great feedback on the Express/Savana - have been out and test driven a few; not found something that ticks the boxes, but it certainly seems like a solid platform
Klutch7 - I was initially advised that a 2000-2002 F250 7.3 power stroke with a slide in truck camper or cube box mounted on a flat bed would be the way to go, hence thinking diesel. as boardrider247 said, it's the older diesels that are more bulletproof. Given the amount of driving I've indicated I'd be doing - 7000-10000 miles a year, are there any real advantages to diesel over gas? I read so many conflicting reports, and I appreciate that it ultimately comes down to how well the vehicle has been maintained, coupled with how you intend to use it.
Naterry - SF is really just a stopping point. I'm loosely based here while in the US, but more because I generally fly internationally from SFO. I don't really have plans for much urban stealth camping, I just like the idea of being able to be hassle free autonomous.
Petrol burner - the box/cube truck idea has been rolling around in my head. I currently have an '84 E350 former ambulance that I was planning to convert, but having gutted the completely messed up interior back to the metal, I'm finding all the various angles to be requiring so much time to contend with, that I'm preparing to pass it off as a learning experience and go to something easier.

I'm prepared to sacrifice the desire for stealth in favor of functionality, given that I'm not really planning on urban camping often, if at all

The options I've arrived at are:
- find an older power stroke 7.3 diesel 4x4, switch to a flat bed, and mount a 10'-12' box with an overhang and fit out the box
- use the same platform, maintain the existing bed, use a utility box to increase the outside storage, and buy a slide in camper, and be done with any fit out problems
- focus on converting an existing 4x4 van, and sacrifice the high top until I can justify the expense of either fitting a new fiberglass top, or installing a popup
- purchase a 4x4 ambulance and hack the existing box to give me the internal functionality I want
- sacrifice the desire for 4x4 and go with any of the incredible number of 20' or less RV's available within my price range
- if taking the immediately above route, find the right platform, and consider converting to 4x4 later

The first option seems the best to me, but I can't seem to find a great deal of information about people who have successfully taken this route.

Looking for any more feedback or considerations you may have.
Thanks

All I can say is, utility beds are easily and often broken into, so if you have outside storage, I hope it's things you can part with.

I'm doing my van as a weekender/moto/desert trip van, but I think the best platform is a single rear wheel 10-12' box truck. Van width, but taller box.

uncompromise

Adventurer
All I can say is, utility beds are easily and often broken into, so if you have outside storage, I hope it's things you can part with.

I'd only be using outside storage typically when I was camping and out of the city. Wouldn't have plans to permanently store anything in there. Biggest issue I have with the box truck is the lack of clearance and maneuverability. Which is why I was thinking of mounting an existing box to a flatbed 4x4 so I got the best of both worlds. It's a bit more work, but seems worthy. It would put my center of gravity higher, which is obviously a concern, so I would need to be cautious about how I used the vehicle, but for desert, beach, and fire trails I think it would be fine. I've got stuck previously without 4x4, so I'm being necessarily cautious.

Have you found a source for the 12' box truck? Is Penske any good? Or is there a better way to go?

I'd only be using outside storage typically when I was camping and out of the city. Wouldn't have plans to permanently store anything in there. Biggest issue I have with the box truck is the lack of clearance and maneuverability. Which is why I was thinking of mounting an existing box to a flatbed 4x4 so I got the best of both worlds. It's a bit more work, but seems worthy. It would put my center of gravity higher, which is obviously a concern, so I would need to be cautious about how I used the vehicle, but for desert, beach, and fire trails I think it would be fine. I've got stuck previously without 4x4, so I'm being necessarily cautious.

Have you found a source for the 12' box truck? Is Penske any good? Or is there a better way to go?

Penske does a pretty good job with their maintenance. And the way I look at it is a used vehicle is a used vehicle, there's always gunna be something needing done.

I've converted a few trucks to flat bed, so that's an easy one.

Could also find a nice van smacked in the rear and do a cab back replacement and make your own box. But that seems a lot of work.

Petrolburner

Explorer
I've determined that a box truck would be the best start for an all in one toyhauler with living quarters. F350 front end, not E350 means you can more easily convert to 4WD and still have a legitimate engine compartment. The packaging of all the van stuff under the baby hood and doghouse is a turnoff that I probably won't go through again. I'm probably going to keep my Motovan for a few years at least, but I wouldn't go with that style front end again. I want more width, more height, more length, more underhood room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online