Looking for popup that would fit Tacoma

Rico Cruz

Hey all. I have been lurking for sometime, and just received a nice bonus that would enable me to get a decent TC. (not a million, and not enough for an XP...)

I really like the look of the Phoenix, but don't ever hear about in the posts. It seems more aero dynamic than the FWC, and I like that it can be customized to my truck.

I would primarily use it in the back country. Will it hold up? Also, how is it secured to the bed of the truck?

Thanks Gents!

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
I have an FWC Eagle on my Tacoma and it fits just fine. There are a couple of plates that bolt into the Tacoma's bed that the camper is attached to with turnbuckles. I've had it in the backcountry and like that the Eagle is narrow enough that if the front of the Tacoma fits through I don't have to worry about the camper scraping on the sides.

sumnrfam

+1 For Four Wheel Camper

Rico,, Four Wheel Camper Eagle (69" wide), is going to be discontinued soon,, the slightly wider bodied Fleet (75" wide),will be your only choice (Assuming your Tacoma is a 'long bed' (6'3, Access cab or DCLB?) if you have a short bed (5'box), you are limited to the newer Swift model (75' wide), which replaced the Finch (69" wide),,

We went back and forth for over a year,, Just ask Mike & Stan @ FourWheel campers ;-),,, and ended up selling our built up DCSB,, to purchase an Access cab and get the longer bed,

We LOVE the fit of the Eagle ,, but the tradeoff is clearly less interior space. I would not hesitate to recommend the FWC!!,, But,, if you decide you want the Eagle,, order soon before it is gone,,,,,, like an 8 track tape ;-)

Good luck,, Wade:sombrero:

packertrail.jpg

IMG_4749.jpg

Rico Cruz

It took me a while, but I read through the other forum. Do you think he (she?) was just a disgruntled customer? Can't help but focus on the aesthetics of the Phoenix. Unfortunately, the bonus will not allow for a new truck. I have a quad with a short bed.

Anyone know if FWC and Phoenix will be at the Denver sportsman show? I may plan an impromptu road trip!

rotti

Adventurer
Anyone know if FWC and Phoenix will be at the Denver sportsman show? I may plan an impromptu road trip!

FWC will be there and Phoenix has been there in years past as has Northstar, Hallmark and Outfitter.

I checked out all five when I purchased my FWC and honestly Phoenix would be last choice. Fit and finish was subpar to say the least.

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
For the short bed FWC has the Swift model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dman93

Adventurer
I think anyone considering a pop-up should take a look at the FlipPac. Roomier, cheaper, lighter; much less weather-proof and lower quality; needs to be outfitted by the owner; arguably more versatile.

Jesmor3

We really like our FWC Swift:

506595e05380a32c85807ad71e4a85c4.jpg

Let me m know if you have any specific questions

MINO

Adventurer
If you're looking for something with unique features and customizable, Phoenix is your only option.
Phoenix doesn't have the time or resources to R&D each custom build, so that can lead to some issues.

I shopped for my camper knowing I would be building from it and improving it. I saw flaws in every brand of pop-up I looked at. So, if I was going to spend over $20k on what I considered
a giant, glorified, wood screw and glue cabinet build - I wanted it built with my ideas and requirements. I wanted a king bed, modern cabinetry and retain my factory tailgate. Phoenix was the only one that said yes to everything.

If anyone is considering a Phoenix Camper, heavily research and line item every option and detail (and I mean EVERY detail).
I spent months going through every detail I could imagine before I ordered ours. Even then, I've discovered what I would do differently the next time.

I've had ours for 2 1/2 years now. Had a few minor problems but overall very happy with the results and how it's holding up to the abuse.

destructomatt

Adventurer
I just bought a Tacoma and I'll be waiting to see what the guys over at AdventureTrailers have up their sleeves. I spoke with Mario briefly a couple weeks back and apparent they are coming up with their own updated version of the Flippac based on their existing Habitat tent. Supposedly they will be addressing many of the build quality issues documented on various threads in this forum.

dawnhoyden

Observer
I love my FWC Fleet. Got it in November, took it from Az to Illinois and back for Thanksgiving and have been camping every weekend I can since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles