Car Camping Stove

rathvona

Observer
Hey guys,

I need a camp stove for my car. So far the Camp Chef Everest looks good to me but is there a cheaper alternative that is of roughly the same quality? What stoves do you guys use just so I have other views.

Thanks

amocaT

Adventurer
I don't own one yet, I just saw this the other day. Seems like a pretty good design to block wind.

http://www.coleman.com/product/fyrecadet-stove/2000017462?contextCategory=2010#.VpEcnBUrK00

2000017463_2000017462_open_34.jpg

tuckers

If there's an REI or something nearby, go check out a few different ones, the camp chef was tinnier in real life then I expected. I ended up going with the Partner Steel Cook Partner because it's just completely rock solid, but it's also twice the price. The Primus red stove looked and felt like it was better made than the camp chef to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OCD Overland

Explorer
That coleman looks nice. We currently use a couple of butane catering burners, because that's what we had. Super cheap, but I wouldn't recommend them. They're difficult to keep lit in the wind, and butane doesn't like the cold at all. Plus it's an extra fuel to keep stocked.

robert

Expedition Leader
For times when space doesn't matter I still prefer my green Coleman white gas stove. I've got a propane adaptor for it but honestly prefer the liquid fuel, nostalgia probably plays a part in that but it's also easy to cook over. I've also got an older Peak 1 single burner that rides in the truck on occasion and a Jetboil that lives in the back of the truck along with a fuel cylinder. The Jetboil is nice in that it's quick and easy to use for making tea or something but it's not really a good stove to actually cook on in my opinion.

blacktop_one

Breaker of Things
Most of the camp stoves for sale today use such thin sheet metal that I question their durability. Keep an eye out on your favorite online auction site for new-in-the-box Coleman stoves from the 1970's (they DO exist). They are sturdier and you can score one for about what you'd end up paying for a new flimsy one. You may need to change out the seals or o-rings due to age, but that's probably about it.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
most likely propane in that use the small 5$ bottles

I'm a big fan of white fuel over propane for the portable stoves - but there is a learning curve. They are capable of putting out much more heat, much more reliably (once you get them lit). :)

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I've been using one of these the last couple of years. Really impressed with it. The burners are wide enough apart to have two decent size pots. The self ignitor works.every.time. The output is very hot, and has good adjustably. The parts are all decent quality the grilles are removable stainless steel, easy to clean. I like the fact that the grille spacing is closer over the burner so that tall narrow water pots have good support under them while heating up. The top deck is stainless and smooth, very easy to clean. There is a recessed cary handle fitting built in, and the wind skirts work. For $80, I really don't think you can beat it. Century Matchless Ultra 2-Burner Stove
http://www.amazon.com/Century-4680-Matchless-Two-Burner-Silver/dp/B000LVH9T8

The highest elevation I've used it is about 11,000 feet, and had no issues whatsoever. Also used it in Death Valley :) The only negative is that the knobs are external, and not recessed. I've never actually had an issue, because it balances well on it's back (I stack it vertically in the back of the car. I pack a small towel inside, and nothing rattles, which I really, REALLY like.

Stove-X3.jpg

Retired Tanker

Explorer
I'm about in the same phase - looking for a camp stove.

My main dilemma is white gas, which can be bought in bulk virtually anywhere, and the propane gas models that use the wasteful, non-refillable cans.

I hate the thought of disposing of the cans, but really don't want to transport opened-half full containers of white gas inside the car, either.

Any thoughts?

lugueto

Adventurer
Coleman 2 burner stove. I've used one since I can remember, my dad used the early white gas version and I've used both the dual fuel and the propane only version.

I use propane, I think its safer to travel with a small, refillable, 3kg propane tank than with a bottle of white gas, and when you use regular gas on these stoves they usually clog.

Easily stowed, easily adjusted flame and the side panels help a ton when its windy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior