Info on Verde River AZ between Sheep Bridge and Horseshoe Lake dam.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I'm wanting to run the power boat up the Verde River from Horseshoe lake to Sheep Bridge or as far up as water permits. Has anybody paddled this and can tell me what to expect? I could use an experienced or capable deck hand to help when if gets ruff and remote if interested. Power up and drift paddle back is the plan as soon as the lake gets full.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I don't think a power boat will make it all the way to sheep bridge if even legal....
This detail shows the wilderness area starting just above the bridge. This info is geared toward those that paddle it but when it gets to sheep bridge and south it indicates to me to just hug the west side and expect nothing. http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fswdev3_009800.pdf South of Sheep looks boring for paddlers that just survived class III Rapids but could be an epic adventure heading up the current in a boat. The resivior itself extends 5 miles from the dam so all of that will be OK and I'm expecting nothing except a possible hazards not marked or no wake indication above it. Come on Vdog bring your PLB, tree saw and camera. Next week we should have enough flow and the level of the resivior is rising really fast. Early next week. Meet in New River. RU in?

Russ Chung

Observer
...The resivior itself extends 5 miles from the dam so all of that will be OK and I'm expecting nothing except a possible hazards not marked or no wake indication above it. ...

I would not count on having enough water for a motorized boat trip between Horseshoe Lake and Sheeps Bridge unless you go pretty soon. Although the lake may be five miles long when full, the lake currently is at 55% capacity. The Verde River Guide that you referenced in an earlier post says that at that level, the lake has 2 or 3 miles of water. Historically, Horseshoe Lake has been empty more often than not and when it has contained water it was only for a few months at a time. Here is a graph of the lake storage over the past 15 years:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/dv?c...od=&begin_date=2000-01-01&end_date=2016-01-13

Today (Jan 14) slightly more water is flowing into Horseshoe Reservoir (410 cu ft/sec at Sheeps Bridge) than is being released from the dam (350 cu ft/sec).
http://data.hydrometdataservice.info/dwr/report.aspx?dt=1/14/2016
and here is a graph of the trend at Sheeps Bridge:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/u...od=&begin_date=2016-01-01&end_date=2016-01-14
A few years ago I was at Sheeps Bridge when the flow was 150 cu ft/sec; there was barely enough water to float an inner tube or raft. I'm guessing that you would need a flow rate of about 300 cu ft/sec to make the trip in a small flat-bottom boat with shallow draft.

Last edited:

verdesardog

Explorer
I go there (the dam that is) a couple of times a year to take out the forest service people that maintain the Verde River. I typically drop them off at Beasly flat and pick them up down there about a week later.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I go there (the dam that is) a couple of times a year to take out the forest service people that maintain the Verde River. I typically drop them off at Beasly flat and pick them up down there about a week later.

So do you think we will have two feet of water to the bridge? Lance, Lets do this.

Amphibeast

Adventurer
just saw the thread lump... I was sick as a dog last week. I know this area well. When is your plan to do this? I'd be game to run it/logistics/ S&R or whatever.... Hit me up.. I have yaks & shallow water Jon boat too!

I always wanted to do "upstream" jet skis on a river as well.... Water has been usually pretty shallow here but things are looking wetter this year! Hit me up!

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
just saw the thread lump... I was sick as a dog last week. I know this area well. When is your plan to do this? I'd be game to run it/logistics/ S&R or whatever.... Hit me up.. I have yaks & shallow water Jon boat too!

I always wanted to do "upstream" jet skis on a river as well.... Water has been usually pretty shallow here but things are looking wetter this year! Hit me up!
Let's roll. Call Lance if you have his number and tell him to check his PM's. I can go anytime on a moments notice but the sooner we go the more water we may have.

Amphibeast

Adventurer
Most boats drop in at the old Childs Power plant below fossil creek or the more hardcore river rats from verde valley.... majority pull out at sheeps bridge. I have no idea about debris below or pull out/put in at Horseshoe.... I'd be down for doing some recon on there this weekend... My GPS & Chainsaw are both ready to go! (Thanks Santa!)

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Most boats drop in at the old Childs Power plant below fossil creek or the more hardcore river rats from verde valley.... majority pull out at sheeps bridge. I have no idea about debris below or pull out/put in at Horseshoe.... I'd be down for doing some recon on there this weekend... My GPS & Chainsaw are both ready to go! (Thanks Santa!)
Thank you for the response to the add. Your participation is much welcome!
image.jpeg
We could bring a third daring individual. Plan is Saturday or Sunday your call. Plan AM so if it's a bust we can drop down and try Bartlet to Horseshoe.
image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste

Members online