No Country for Cold Men

Paul R

Adventurer
Wow you guys hit the Tetons perfectly! We rolled through there the next day and they were all cloud covered... Great photos!
:26_7_2:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
May 26th 2008

May 26th 2008

This was going to be a looooong day….

I was up early as usual and the guy at the campsite across the way was up too. He was packing his Harley motorcycle up for the final leg of his haul up to Montana. He had been driving through all the same hellish weather we had, coming all the way from San Antonio.

I waved a good morning and then he started to walk over to chat. Per the Texan citizen handbook he spoke about 15 decibels higher than needed (Just kidding to my Texan friends!) :p Maybe the loud Harley had deadened his senses over the last 2000 miles. After a brief chat, he left and I heard KC’s heater kick on. Yup, he got woke up early, hell, probably half the campground did. Right about then the Texan started his beast (this is at 6:30am mind you) and rest assured that everyone was awake now!

We headed south out of the park on the scenic Moose Wilson Road. Is any road in Teton not scenic? Our friends, clouds and rain, were back this morning too, so our hopes of some sunrise shots on the Tetons were dashed. We still found things to take pictures of.

IMG_9593.jpg

IMG_9598.jpg

IMG_9599.jpg

We rolled into famous Jackson Hole around 10am. The place screams Wyoming, almost overdone, but I loved it. The town was awesome. I could see myself living there, at least in the summers…

IMG_9607.jpg

IMG_9608.jpg

We grabbed some grub at Bubba’s, a famous place there in town and the food was worth the wait to get in. We got back on the road before noon because I had so far to go.

We followed the 191 south until Farson which was where KC turned back north to make the loop home. I hope it isn’t more than a year before the next trip amigo….

I continued south on 191 and snapped a final photo for the trip at Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area.

IMG_9622.jpg

I continued on to Monticello, then over to Farmington, then down to Cuba, then finally home at 3am, 900 miles later. I had originally planned to stop and visit an old girlfriend of mine in Monticello, but it turned out I had to be at work the next day, so I had to push on home. :( It took all week last week to get my sleep back in order!

Here is an overall map of the trip with each day being a different color.

overall.jpg

Thanks for an excellent trip KC, I look forward to the next one amigo… :beer:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Paul R said:
Wow you guys hit the Tetons perfectly! We rolled through there the next day and they were all cloud covered... Great photos!
:26_7_2:

Thanks Paul, it was a great trip. I'm sorry we missed ya, next time beers on me. :beer:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Sheeeit... there's not much I can add to Chuck's finale.

He got it right and captured nicely the touristy draw that is Jackson Hole. Sorry that trip to the ex-girlfriends didn't work out. I was hoping it would just because I was tired of hearing about her. ;)

Chuck did the lion's share of the photo work on this trip. I was content keeping my camera dry and watching my friend enjoy Wyoming. We got a lucky break at the Tetons as the clouds moved off enough for us to get a few shots, as the sun slipped behind them. The reward for not quitting if you will, when the rain, snow and cold hung over us for the majority of the trip. Find the silver lining.....

A few last snapshots of my own to put a stamp on a great weekend in the Wonderland of America, with a solid friend.

We'll do it again soon brother - :beer:

Yellowstone Lake -
701780776_eXWVo-O.jpg

Old Faithful -
701780431_QgmPD-O.jpg

The Tetons -
701782496_PM4Ck-O.jpg

The Grand Teton -
701781899_MvUBp-O.jpg

Representing in Wyoming -
701782849_JtT5V-O.jpg

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Very nice, gents. Thanks for all the hard work so that we could live the trip vicariously through you images and great stories.:REExeSquatsHL1:

It was almost like I was there (although deep down inside I'm still jealous I wasn't).

Bravo.

vdeal

Observer
Great story and pics guys. For an easterner these reports are awe inspiring. Glad that you showed a picture from Leadville, CO, since my only trip out west was through there a few times (I have family in Buena Vista, CO). Thanks again.

erod

Adventurer
wow, well its been a while since i have been around but its great to come back to such awesome posts! as always, great pics, stories and write up you guys...thanks so much! ahh...good to be back. cheers!

MrBeast

Explorer
Man I grew up just north of the park there, really making me home sick. Cool adventure, it takes some stones to do it in winter. I have crossed a lot of that country in a 18 wheeler in the winter time. That will definitely test what you are made of. :smiley_drive:

derekparr

Observer
Beautiful write up. My family had actually made a trip to Yellowstone for a week in early July in 2008. And there was still snow on the ground everywhere. We were told that it had just snowed a week or two earlier in late June. So what KC and Chuck saw wasn't even the last of it that spring!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz