2001 Xterra Xploration Vhicle

transalper

Explorer
Thanks!

Lifted my Cub Kamparoo after work yesterday!

i-bKfSC9h-X2.jpg

i-WL8MJMh-X2.jpg

i-RMt4Dqb-X2.jpg

Chuck slide done! Shelf next.

i-PQZZmnD-X2.jpg

i-WcNjdzw-X2.jpg

Last edited:

transalper

Explorer
Thanks! The Chuck is just the right size.

The custom slide ended up taking quite a bit of time and it cost me about half of what a ARB or other fridge slide would of cost. It is sturdy but with all the brackets and boards and crap bolted on it takes a fair amount of grunt to pull out. The shelf is 1/2" birch plywood using a design I've used on two other rigs - simple, light and functional.

The first big run with this rig is starting next week.

transalper

Explorer
We just got back from a trip out west. We hit the Overland Expo, drove to Sedona via Schnebly Hill, landed at Toroweap Overlook for a few days, and then hiked Horseshoe Canyon in Utah. Amazing trip!

Landing at the Expo
i-ZTRR7m9-1981x1115.jpg

Xterra feels small among all these rigs
i-KzNBNch-1981x1115.jpg

BIG event
i-df9JFWZ-11582x1115.jpg

Schnebly Hill
i-m7VXg9P-1981x1115.jpg

i-VMH9t9M-1981x1115.jpg

Toroweap Overlook - Simply Amazing
i-jxmdvKj.jpg

Toroweap Campground
i-5gvGRMS.jpg

Mars sidetrip
i-gFNTQPV-X3.jpg

Last edited:

xterratime

Observer
Nice Pics!!

Looks like you had a fun trip. I've got a 2001 Xterra myself. Been jonesing to replace with a 4 door pickup and cap (mainly for more space for camping/sports stuff). But budget is dictating maybe I just just bite the bullet and spend some dough to get this thing serviceable.

Suspension is one of my first issues to address. Between the stock ones being wimpy to begin with and it having 170K on it it feels like it's bottoming out when loaded.

Is replacing it all your self a hard job?

transalper

Explorer
The Xterra is still running strong. I'm heading back to Utah and Arizona (from MN by way of Jasper Provincial Park) again this fall with the Kamparoo in tow.

My ball joints blew up last year so I replaced the upper A-arms with 4x4 parts longer a-arms. Works well - except I really need to replace the totally cranked uneven torsion bars. :) Now it is time for new plugs/wires. I wish plug #6 was easier to access . . . . . .

Solo Camping Sleeping setup:
20170821_191120.jpg20170819_132944.jpg

Last edited:

bushnut

Adventurer
Glad to hear it brother, I know all about #6! I’m in an 02 touring The east coast of Canada,just realized my gas tank is leaking and wondering how I’m going to fix it on the road.

Jeffer949

Observer
If you unclip the brake lines out of the little plastic holder and push them against the fire wall its a lot easier to get to the 6th sparkplug. I think I even bent mine a tad to get clearance.

transalper

Explorer
If you unclip the brake lines out of the little plastic holder and push them against the fire wall its a lot easier to get to the 6th sparkplug. I think I even bent mine a tad to get clearance.
Thanks for the tip! I am tackling this on Friday; thankfully I have tiny paws.

Jc1986.carter

Do you have any photos of the kamparoo is all of its glory? I looked them up online after seeing yours and they look interesting to say the least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz