Land Rover Buying Advice Wanted

mmbirtcher

Observer
The 80 series and the LR3 are uncomparable. The 100 series is more similar.

True that. On another note, there's a fully kitted 3 with 130k in the classified, but I'm not ready to pull the trigger. Found that many of the LR3 do have the HD (and even more so the HSE's), even though the sellers don't advertise (or even know) it. I'll window shop for a good while yet, knowing a solid one will be waiting when I'm ready. The vehicles for sale here often seem to be a decent deal, kitted, and maintained (when they're sold by existing members).

All that being said, I reserve the right to grab an 80 or 100 if it's right even though LR is way cooler!!!:Wow1:

djaraceandrally

Adventuring somewhere...
Having had diesel versions of both, I can only add my view from that perspective. The D3 is night and day different (by that I mean modern) to the D2. It's almost car like in it's on road behaviour. Smooth and wanting for nothing. The D2 does feel its age to be honest. That said, off the Tarmac, I much prefer the D2 drive. Ok, it's not got terrain switch, but that makes for more of a challenge and adventure when the going gets a little tricky. The D2's much less complicated traction control doesnt react as quickly, but I think it makes you pick better lines and improves your skill set to overcome. Add centre diff lock and the D2 is taken to another level. The simplicity of the D2 makes a lot of sense to me, easier to fix with limited electronics and much cheaper parts (in the uk). Not had much issues with it either.

So for me, a good D2 is fantastic value for money if you are not worried about having the latest and greatest.

So much so, I have a auto td5 d2.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Having had diesel versions of both, I can only add my view from that perspective. The D3 is night and day different (by that I mean modern) to the D2. It's almost car like in it's on road behaviour. Smooth and wanting for nothing. The D2 does feel its age to be honest. That said, off the Tarmac, I much prefer the D2 drive. Ok, it's not got terrain switch, but that makes for more of a challenge and adventure when the going gets a little tricky. The D2's much less complicated traction control doesnt react as quickly, but I think it makes you pick better lines and improves your skill set to overcome. Add centre diff lock and the D2 is taken to another level. The simplicity of the D2 makes a lot of sense to me, easier to fix with limited electronics and much cheaper parts (in the uk). Not had much issues with it either.

So for me, a good D2 is fantastic value for money if you are not worried about having the latest and greatest.

So much so, I have a auto td5 d2.

This. If we were allowed to have the td5 :rolleyes:

djaraceandrally

Adventuring somewhere...
Wow, didn't realise the td5 was not available for you. I'm sure we would have more petrol versions if we didnt have to pay through the nose to run it!!

mmbirtcher

Observer
I had a 2004 D2, and loved it, except when it overheated and warped the head. Not to mention it was underpowered IMHO, and even after repair (including replacement of the failed electric fan that caused the overheat), it never liked hot Missouri summers and struggled to stay cool.

Speaking of cool, can the Cooler Console from a "LUX" LR3 be fitted into an HSE or SE by any chance?

LR Max

Local Oaf
Wow, didn't realise the td5 was not available for you. I'm sure we would have more petrol versions if we didnt have to pay through the nose to run it!!

Yep. No diesels. The only diesel we get here are now is in the L405 Range Rover, the TD6.

So yeah, we are stuck with the powerful V8s. However considering fuel is below $2/gal (including tax) for most of the country. The struggle is real.

The issue I see with Toyotas now, is many of them have been taken, re-worked, and then run hard. So you end up with a ragged out vehicle. I just bought a ragged out 4 Runner (price was cheap and its a 3rd vehicle, so don't really care). LR3s are still "dark" in the off roading world. Compared to other brands, few build them. So you can get a nice, unmolested, well taken care of LR3 for a reasonable price.

On the flipside, good, unmolested D2s are getting harder to find or fetch such a high price, that why not just buy the LR3. D1s and RRCs aren't really around anymore. Which is weird but I guess it was bound to happen.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Speaking of cool, can the Cooler Console from a "LUX" LR3 be fitted into an HSE or SE by any chance?

Short answer is yes. They can be fitted.
http://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/how-instal-console-fridge-70466/

Yeah right now the D3 is at where the D2 was a few years ago. You could find well-taken-care-of examples with decently low mileage for a good price. Nowadays seems like the golden age for the NAS market for people to be buying them up for building a solid vehicle. In a few more years I imagine we will see more and more like the land cruisers/4runners/D1's/D2's that have been built and thrashed.

Last edited:

mmbirtcher

Observer
Thanks for the link.

From what I've read they aren't worth the effort.. Anyone who has them have any opinions??

Don't think I'll hold up a purchase just for a LUX model with it..

A.J.M

Explorer
I got one for £55. Took about 10 minutes to fit it.
The wiring is already in place so you just pulled the back of the console up, unscrew the lid and pull out the old cubby box.

Given its winter still I've not had a chance to try it out but it lived in my friends 3 for the 3 years he owned it and he loved having it.
I got it cheap as he was trading the 3 in for a 4 and the sales guy never lifted the cubby lid so never knew it was there.....

For working on a 3. It's pretty straight forward with good access to most of the bolts etc. Servicing is very easy and the after market supply for parts is good.

For sensors and such. An iid tool or similar is your choice of weapon. Bluetooth version to link to your iPad or such and it will do everything a dealers will do plus unlock a few nice extras.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
To the OP, if you are interested in a D-I, give me a shout! We are finishing up a very nice all orig 70k mile D-I that spent it's life in Vegas, no alterations! We have spent a ton making it new from ALL the bushings front to rear, nice new 2" lift with new 235 Duratracs, brakes, fresh graphics- even replaced the sun faded and resulting fragile/brittle dash, headliner, completely base lined fluids and belts, etc. It is also an Eco Challenge truck, so a bit rare, adding to the 'cool' factor...

Conversely, as others have said, the LR3s are much more modern and ergonomically/mechanically improved. But you seldom get the chance to own a 'new' D-I ;-)

mmbirtcher

Observer
To the OP, if you are interested in a D-I, give me a shout! We are finishing up a very nice all orig 70k mile D-I that spent it's life in Vegas, no alterations! We have spent a ton making it new from ALL the bushings front to rear, nice new 2" lift with new 235 Duratracs, brakes, fresh graphics- even replaced the sun faded and resulting fragile/brittle dash, headliner, completely base lined fluids and belts, etc. It is also an Eco Challenge truck, so a bit rare, adding to the 'cool' factor...

Sounds like a great truck, but I'll be putting in for something with a bit more highway manners for long hauls to points of interest. Not to mention it will pull double duty as my DD although I only make the drive to work 5 days per month anyway.

No question I'll be getting a IID tool also. Just cross my fingers for a white, HD, LUX with solid history and low miles for cheap, (FAT chance), lol!

mmbirtcher

Observer
Ok a few more questions have popped up as I continue my (rather long term) search, and maybe a couple thoughts too-
-Is the HD available on an SE on 2007 and later? If so, how do you know when it's locked?
-It seems like the cooler consoles aren't hard to come by and aren't overly expensive, so I'm not worried about trying to track down a LUX unless one falls in my lap.
-How much of a problem is the cracked dashboard? It seems to be limited to the 2005-2006?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
-Is the HD available on an SE on 2007 and later? If so, how do you know when it's locked?
Yes, though more rare with each passing year. You can see the locker on top of of the rear diff (small black solenoid). Typically, there is a full size spare tire as well, which is part of the HD package. However, there are many full size spare equipped LR3's without a locker, so you need to see if the solenoid is present. You can't just go by the display on the Nav Screen because LR3's without the locker will still show the locker symbol in the rear and the center diff (they all have a locking center diff)

-It seems like the cooler consoles aren't hard to come by and aren't overly expensive, so I'm not worried about trying to track down a LUX unless one falls in my lap.
I have no opinion.
-How much of a problem is the cracked dashboard? It seems to be limited to the 2005-2006?
Define problem. Does it occur? yes. Is it a problem, that's up to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior