WTB - Mitsubishi Montero SR

Kushan862

Observer
Hello everyone, im looking for a Montero SR with a 3.5.DOHC or SOHC. i live in Orange county,CA. ive been looking for a while but havnt had any luck. please let me know what you got.i posted in another post but im hoping to get more hits on this. Got Cash in hand

Thank you

Kushan862

Observer
Hello everyone, im looking for a Montero SR with a 3.5.DOHC or SOHC. i live in Orange county,CA. ive been looking for a while but havnt had any luck. please let me know what you got.i posted in another post but im hoping to get more hits on this. Got Cash in hand

Thank you

Dont mind a gen 2.5 either 😀

montero98ls

Observer
Dont mind a gen 2.5 either 😀

There is a thread of monteros on craigslist here. I live near you and see a few decent ones on craigslist. I don't think anyone here is selling their's. I have a 95 sr, but wouldn't sell it for a fair price seeing as I just dumped a bunch of time and money.
Also you should have put this is the wtb section if you haven't already.

Kushan862

Observer
There is a thread of monteros on craigslist here. I live near you and see a few decent ones on craigslist. I don't think anyone here is selling their's. I have a 95 sr, but wouldn't sell it for a fair price seeing as I just dumped a bunch of time and money.
Also you should have put this is the wtb section if you haven't already.

hey thanks for the reply. i drove 2 hours to look at a 2.5 gen. looks super clean but needs a tonne of work and not worth the money.i probably called everything on craigslist around me.either they need new engines or major work.i have already posted on the craigslist thread but have not got a reply.i will post on the WTB thread and try my luck. never knew Monteros could be this rare.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
hey thanks for the reply. i drove 2 hours to look at a 2.5 gen. looks super clean but needs a tonne of work and not worth the money.i probably called everything on craigslist around me.either they need new engines or major work.i have already posted on the craigslist thread but have not got a reply.i will post on the WTB thread and try my luck. never knew Monteros could be this rare.

If memory serves they only sold a total of around 32,000 gen 2.5 models over the 3 years it was sold in the US, so they can be a bit harder to find.

plh

Explorer
Looks like he is looking for a 3.5l SR as listed in the first post in this thread - so that would be a '95 or '96 with a DOHC or a '97 with a SOHC. 20 year old vehicles in good condition are hard to find. Keep your eyes open and be patient. And as J-n-M states I think there were even fewer Gen 2.5s brought in than Gen 2s if you are broadening your search ... FWIW - I have looked at several Gen 2.5s near me over several years and I have not found one yet reasonable enough to buy.

Last edited:

PacS14

Adventurer
Define need a bunch of work and not being worth the money, not being rude just honest, if you want one low miles and everything up to date on service and timing belt etc, they will be harder to find because the new owner is usually the one doing all that work to get it like that and more than likely won't be cheap if they are selling.
Monteros are not landcruisers and do not hold their value like that. These are really good rigs and for whatever reason they were never that popular here in the U.S. as they are in the rest of the world.
These vehicles are perfect for those that want to buy them cheap and fix them up to their liking. Every now and then you will stumble on a good deal if that is your goal be patient and willing to travel.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Dont mind a gen 2.5 either ��

See his above statements regarding a gen 2.5.

Looks like he is looking for a 3.5l SR as listed in the first post in this thread - so that would be a '95 or '96 with a DOHC or a '97 with a SOHC. 20 year old vehicles in good condition are hard to find. Keep your eyes open and be patient. And as J-n-M states I think there were even fewer Gen 2.5s brought in than Gen 2s if you are broadening your search ... FWIW - I have looked at several Gen 2.5s near me over several years and I have not found one yet reasonable enough to buy.

Kushan862

Observer
Im not expecting it to be perfect. i dont mind maintenance stuff like timing belt etc. when it needs 2 cats, full suspension overhaul and has ecm issues thats kinda out of my league. Putting all that money for cats etc is just not worth the money for me. Keeping my fingers crossed hopefully something will pop up

Kushan862

Observer
Im open to any gen 2.5 or SR with a 3.5. Sad monteros arnt popular here. In my home country sri lanka we have so many. And 2.8 diesels too. They smoke a **** tonne of black smoke but never fails

montero98ls

Observer
Im not expecting it to be perfect. i dont mind maintenance stuff like timing belt etc. when it needs 2 cats, full suspension overhaul and has ecm issues thats kinda out of my league. Putting all that money for cats etc is just not worth the money for me. Keeping my fingers crossed hopefully something will pop up

I wouldn't consider bad cats or ecm acceptable either, a full suspension and steering overhaul isn't bad though. I would do it anyway. I imagine your going to lift it so that takes care of that, and to replace all the steering stuff doesn't really cost much, Unless you replace the steering box. I usually buy and fix up. As long as it doesn't have anything like a blown head gasket or anything major...haven't really gone to look at any monteros since I own one but check craigslist from time to time to see if anyone is parting out anything good....good luck with the search. It's a shame no one on here is selling theirs.

earljuic3

Adventurer
I had my whole system replaced by a local shop. You're not wrong in the sense that it could be done cheaper but if you want oem quality replacement parts it's going to cost you close to 1000$ I had all my cats replaced and installed a 40 series magma flow with new pipe and hangers and it was around 1100$ (cheapest I could find through a reputable shop in Virginia).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior