Good article on adding larger tires

tarditi

Explorer
Excellent article - people usually only consider "will it fit?" questions - component strain, performance, safety, and maintenance are usually left out of the equation.

v_man

Explorer
sidebar: How do we feel about using only a jack to support the rear to change tires? Personally I always throw a couple of jack stands even when only moving tires around ....

001-tire-swapping-for-testing-lead.jpg

comptiger5000

Adventurer
If I'm just changing tires and it's a quick "one off, one on" type of change (where the new tire is sitting next to me, such as the summer/winter swap), I'll just use the jack, as I'm not getting under it. And I generally just jack 1 corner at a time. If I'm rotating tires, screwing with brakes or anything that would have a wheel off longer or if I need to get under it, then it goes up on stands (and I need both ends in the air at the same time anyway for a tire rotation).

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
If I'm just changing tires and it's a quick "one off, one on" type of change (where the new tire is sitting next to me, such as the summer/winter swap), I'll just use the jack, as I'm not getting under it. And I generally just jack 1 corner at a time. If I'm rotating tires, screwing with brakes or anything that would have a wheel off longer or if I need to get under it, then it goes up on stands (and I need both ends in the air at the same time anyway for a tire rotation).

If I'm not getting under the vehicle, I'm comfortable lifting it for a short period of time such as doing a quick tire rotation. But if it's going to be sitting for any length of time or if I'm going to be putting any part of my body underneath the vehicle, I'm not going to rely on a little rubber lip seal.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Not worth the risk to man or machine. It takes virtually no extra time to ensure the vehicle is secured properly on stands; the only reason to not use stands is laziness and if you're already doing it yourself just do it right and do it safe.

mtaylor

Observer
I don't use stands when I'm swapping summer to winter tires and back, any more than that and the stands come out.

Zeep

Adventurer
I'm running Cooper Dis. S/T's in 255/85/16 on the exact same rig. These tires came in slightly narrower than the 245/75/16 G/Y Mtr's from the factory.
First let me state that E load range tires on Jeep make no sense to me. They are to stiff in the sidewalls to flex properly, when aired down, at least on a jeep.
The ride characteristics have improved dramatically, While getting similar clearance advantages. I'm also running Black Magic brakes, which have made a huge improvement.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
I'm running Cooper Dis. S/T's in 255/85/16 on the exact same rig. These tires came in slightly narrower than the 245/75/16 G/Y Mtr's from the factory.
First let me state that E load range tires on Jeep make no sense to me. They are to stiff in the sidewalls to flex properly, when aired down, at least on a jeep.
The ride characteristics have improved dramatically, While getting similar clearance advantages. I'm also running Black Magic brakes, which have made a huge improvement.

I'll agree, Jeeps don't need tires that stiff for most uses (except maybe for tearing resistance in really sharp rocks). But sometimes, you get stuck with load range E when it's just the only option in a given size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94