Honeymoon expedition to Kazakhstan and Nordkapp in a Jimny

thjakits

Adventurer
.....So change the springs as you should get 225mm lift from them

I sure hope the lift is only 25mm (NO more than 50 mm on the Jimny, if you still want it to drive on a road at SOME speed!

225mm and a good breeze will roll it over!!

Well, IF you are sure you will stick to ROADS, you should be good with what you have done so far, except for the springs - at the very least put some airbags in the REAR springs!!

Cheers,

thjakits:coffee:

thjakits

Adventurer
You recommend airbags over new springs? Or maybe a simple spring spacer http://www.jimnybits.co.uk/shop/jimny/suspension/jimny-superpro-25mm-spring-spacer/prod_1460.html?

Of course we have a budget, so that should fit the solution as well.

Actually, if I would do this (...well, I would get too excited about terrain and would probably go over board with beefing up my ride:sombrero: ) - I would do the 25 mm spacers AND airbags in the rear!! The 25mm lift will give you space for tires ANOTHER size bigger than you have now (sell these as "nearly new!"), which, with a rig as small as the Jimny gives you the REAL lift!!

Just new springs gives you the lift, BUT if you load up the Jimny (..and you WILL!!), you still will have the same issue with the tail riding low.
(IF you change the springs you need to change them all around...)
IF you do the spacers you also need to do them all around and with the stock springs you will STILL get the tail down when loaded...

The airbags DON'T give you any lift, just maintain the proper ride-height at the end they are installed.....
[The Jimny has seperate coils and shocks up front too, so you could install airbags in the front too, in case things get too heavy there...]
[Call the people I mentioned in my last post and talk to them about sponsoring you a little for the trip! For them this should be the VERY cheapest, but top-advertisement!!]

I know you are on a budget, BUT I think you still need to consider SOME heavy-duty bumper, doesn't have to be a ARB - make something yourself, or have the local blacksmith weld you up something from square/rectangular tube! Something sturdy but not too complicated or heavy - Imagine a front and side impact and what it should look like to deal with that!
You need to watch the weight a LOT, IF you stick with the stock springs....even with the spacers...
The advantage of the small Suzukis (Samurais and Jimnys) is they are light!! So, with a bumper you want it attached to the frame and sturdy enough, so it moves the whole car when hit!! Otherwise a hit will "eat up" part of the Jimny and destroy a lot of stuff!

[e.g. http://www2.izook.com/?page_id=290 , http://www.adverts.ie/other/suzuki-grand-vitara-offroad-winch-bumper/6610916 , ...I know, not a Jimny, but you get the idea...]

To safe money, build the bumper WITHOUT a winch, but with HEAVY-duty recovery points and take at least a medium size Hi-Lift-Jack and a few accessories with you, incl. a good few meters of steel cable with you!! The Hi-Lift is your "poor man's winch" if needed, just takes longer!

Be aware, just because your plan is to "stick ON roads", doesn't mean that you cannot slip of the road or do not have to "escape" into a ditch, or...???

Also, IF you go for the longer springs OR the spacers, you need to get some CASTOR CORRECTION BUSHES [ e.g. http://www.suspensiondealer.com.au/jimny.htm , http://www.suspensiondealer.com.au/images/instructions/Jimny Caster Radius Arm.pdf ]

Check out a few bumpers and start playing with cardboard!

IF you decide to go for the lift and bigger tires, make sure your spare has the same tire size too! Actually you might want to start a strict tire-rotation routine and stick to it - including the spare! This should ensure your tire wear is even throughout the trip - like rotate them every 5000 km....

When you are done with the minimums and you have SOME spare left, think about underbody armor - like skid plates.....

In any case - windowshop a little!! Gives you all kinds of good ideas! [e.g.: http://www.jimnybits.co.uk/shop/index.php - just a sample I googled quickly, ther is a few others more...]

Another "crazy" idea to get spinning in your head is a better rear-bumper with a TRAILER hitch!! :coffeedrink:
You might be running out of space - and for the Jimny a small trailer would not cost much! [Though if you entertain this idea, STILL go for a fully braked trailer....]

Have fun and go WILD!! :wings:

Cheers,

thjakits :coffee:

PS: I had a tattered '87 Samurai and even before the minimal mods I made (a 2" shackle lift and a home-made bumper), that little thing would go ANYWHERE I dared!! A Jimny IS in my future (...or better my son's future...)

Dake21

Adventurer
I'd go airbags, for the GV I've seen a pair at 125$ so I imagine its not to expensive for the jimny either. You want to keep your ride level, if you overload it the nose will be pointing up when traveling and thats not good. Spacer wont help, they give more height but you keep the same spring rate so the spring will sag under the spacer.

thjakits

Adventurer
I'd go airbags, for the GV I've seen a pair at 125$ so I imagine its not to expensive for the jimny either. You want to keep your ride level, if you overload it the nose will be pointing up when traveling and thats not good. Spacer wont help, they give more height but you keep the same spring rate so the spring will sag under the spacer.

....the nice thing with airsprings - they are "progressive" and keep the ride level!

Progressive means they get stiffer with more weight.

In your situation, you can get away with the most basic set-up, as your only variables will be the fuel tank quantity and your food quantity (fridge) - all else shouild be pretty much the same at all times...

So the basic set-up would be the airbags and a set-up to use a Schrader-valve (like on any tire and most bycicles....) and a manual air pump!!

IF you feel the air-springs are getting too stiff for the load, all you need to do is add space for the air in the springs. You do that by adding small air-tanks to each of the air-bags. You start playing with the same size as the fully inflated air-bag on the Jimny probably 1.5 liters - you probably could adapt old fire-extinguishers, but there is lighter airtanks out there.....
With that, the air-springs will still carry the same load, but the "progressiveness" is reduced - when the springs compress, they do not stiffen up as much as with air-bags alone...

Cheers,

thjakits

PS: IF you go with air-springs check if there is a repair-kit or a spare-kit, .....in the unlikely case a bag gets damaged....

Thanks again for all your detailed input, I will check what happens when we start loading her up and contact the airbag company for some kinds of sponsorship.
Did I understand you correctly that you just place the bags in the springs and inflate & deflate the bags manually without any electrics involved?
We're taking a small compressor so we could even inflate by using that.

My goal is to safe weight and take less stuff, that's one of the reasons for choosing the Jimny, you can't fill up space you don't have :sombrero: .
I'm actually working on the drawing for the drawer solution right now, I will use plywood but will cut out unnecessary pieces to save weight but not compromise on the strength of it. For the rest our mantra is go and travel as light as possible, being used to travel on a motorbike we take lightweight functional clothes,
we even thinking about replacing our boots for light weight trail shoes this time :)

xcabo

A Poor Mans Idea...

Thanks again for all your detailed input, I will check what happens when we start loading her up and contact the airbag company for some kinds of sponsorship.
Did I understand you correctly that you just place the bags in the springs and inflate & deflate the bags manually without any electrics involved?
We're taking a small compressor so we could even inflate by using that.

The air bags goes into the rear springs... I have used on my Chevy Tracker since a couple of years ago...one of the best addon you can do it to your ride...

60793_v0_1381865709.jpg

https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/60793/

I packed my 2 dr Tracker with a couple of kayaks, cooler, camping stuff, fishing stuff, sleeping bags, tents, beach toys and 4 people and just inflate the air bags to keep the height and ride right level...

20150404_084839_zps4sjoajje.jpg

And about your question on how to inflate and deflate the air bags... I originally installed as the kit came with it... I joined both air hoses and routed next to gas openning the tire type connection.

But, after a couple of rides I decided to do it a way to automate it the process of inflating and deflating...

Then the poors man way showed up...

I had an old air compressor seatead on a box in the garage...

I joined the air hoses to the compressor which I located behind the rear fender... and connected to a switch and and air gauge and installed the controls on the front...

Screenshot_NormalAppImage2_resized_1_zpswvqwallb.png

So, If I need to inflate it.. just turn air compressor switch on... and monitoring the pression with the air gauge...to deflated...just press the tire type connector..

Screenshot_NormalAppImage2_resized_zpsd1yb6e3i.png

I know... You can use an electric valve and a pressure protection valve...but...that would involve more money and more devices to worry about it...

Cheers

thjakits

Adventurer
......you CAN do with a handpump - you also can go full nuts and do a electronic control!! NOT exactly the "budget solution though!"

The Air-springs should not cost you more than a set of lift springs.....Get the spacers, air-springs (YES these are placed inside the coil-springs, and need to be inflated to a minimum), IF you have that little compressor, I'd add a small air-tank and a few electro-valves and 2 mechanical suspension-height-control-valves (around $ 35-50 each, e.g.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...oliid=ISIPCEKOZFCQZ&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

http://www.amazon.com/Haldex-Midlan..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0HZ0KQJHGRAJJ1MY3WEV

http://www.amazon.com/Road-Champion..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0HZ0KQJHGRAJJ1MY3WEV

http://www.amazon.com/Firestone-Rid..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0HZ0KQJHGRAJJ1MY3WEV

...frankly they look all the same!

The electro-valves are there to lock the setting in each airbag once you leveled it all - with your little tire inflator compressor, you are probably not going to run an ACTIVE air-bag suspension, but .....not really needed! You put them between the Height-Control-Valves and the airbag....
[Here you got a load of choices: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=12V+air+control+valve ]

Put in the a little air-tank (the guys with the air-springs I posted have these too - ask them what is the right size to be able to level the suspension ONCE for max load just from the tank). Once you are on the way, just let the compressor fill the air tank and then shut it off and you are good for the next leveling...
[Should also be great to inflate at least one tire a little faster than with the compressor....

You might want to re-level the whole rig now and then, when you used up 1/2 the tank or so - just stop somewhere on a level surface - switch the valves open, let the levelerss do their thing, close the valves and you are good!
[Or just load the Jim, level it to your liking - don't for get to calculate for your weight!! .....measure the air-pressure you have (tire pressure gauge) and leave it as is for the trip - just check the pressure every once in a while - as mentioned before - your load will not change that much throughout the trip...)

Watch it with the plywood! That stuff is heavy!!

Have a quick look at honeycomb-panels and alu-corner profiles!! .....Or/and a visit to IKEA.....

That stuff is most likely not too cheap, but you really don't need much - but you can safe a good load of kilos!!

GOOD IDEA - as you said: load the ride and see what it looks like and how it feels and THEN put the air-springs in, IF you think you still want them!!

But I suggest you get the spacers anyway.....

Cheers,

thjakits:coffee:

Last edited:
A quick update: we went to Front Runner Outfitters Europe headquarters today to get the rack and tent fitted.
Here is a time-lapse YouTube clip from today's install, I will post photo's and more details later on.

Last edited:
Here are some pictures from the install at Front Runner Outfitters.

33kzujm.jpg

Early morning on to Front Runner Outfitters Belgium
140da9l.jpg

All the goodies
2ajrsqp.jpg

Ready to install
f4kx9z.jpg

Finished!

Our dachshund is not joining us for the big trip but really loves camping so we showed her the tent.
6zaftf.jpg

We will take her out for a test weekend trip, she loves it big time!
2mzmbuh.jpg

Also make sure you watch the time lapse clip I made from the installation

Last edited:
Today I worked on the storage system for the Jimny.
Started by making a floor panel to level the Jimny's uneven floor panels.
Made a floor panel out of multiplex 15 mm the size is 92 x 85 cm
xc1yev.jpg

I used the original carpet to shape the soft corners
2z4b5fo.jpg

When the bottom panel was finished I started working on the top panel.
33125pj.jpg

Then glued on some foam on the sides where the top panel leans on the plastic wheel arches.
2qvruci.jpg

Now this is the current state of the storage solution, I originally thought that I made a frame between the panels from alloy piping, but
now I'm thinking of only making a support frame for the top panel and use plastic crates instead of a drawer.
The extra space used for the complete frame and drawers is a waste of space I guess.

Will think about it, maybe order some front runner wolfpack crates to see how that fits and works.

Last edited:
Today I made a frame from alloy tubes, a.k.a. QubeLok. I bought these from a petstore for a fair price.
At first we wanted to make two drawers in the frame, but I think that adds to much weight and loses to much space so we skip the drawer slides and now go for two plastic euronorm crates.
The crates we're going to buy
iblvn8.jpg

First steps
15ffwvt.jpg

The outline for the setup
6e3bqo.jpg

Almost finished
287mz6f.jpg

The finished frame
33bh1jd.jpg

With the top plate
zo6e50.jpg

With the fridge on top
260s5r7.jpg

For the fridge we wanted to use a slide, but we checked and it's easy to acces from the top, so we skip the fridge slide,
to save $$ and most important weight.

The only thing I have to to is mount the top plate to the frame with some bolts and then it's completely finished.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior