Montreal to Panama road trip

jonyko

hey folks!!
I'm planning with my friend to leave Montreal to go to panama!! :Wow1:

We will start ours trip doing the TAT road.

we want to discover new place and new people. If you want contact me
email : tristan.thibault@gmail.com
facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/tristan.thibault.7 )
insta: tristanthibault ( https://www.instagram.com/tristanthibault/ )
insta: karianneviens ( https://www.instagram.com/karianneviens/ )

And if you have a nice place to show me we could meet. we can give some help for a week in your place if you let us camps in yours place etc.!!

We plan to leave on 01 June 2016. we will change the route to meet new people.

This is the reason why I'm posting my trip here is to make new contact!! :)

here ours youtube trailer video ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtVf8OqaLlw&feature=youtu.be

the ride is a Jeep JK 2012 26k miles on it
I'm on 37's with a 6' lift
I made a custom soft top with a pop-up tent on it

2015-09-15 19.23.56-1 (2).jpg

Tristan and Karianne!!

Last edited:

Lecoq

Explorer
Sounds like a fun trip. Maybe I'll join you guys...:smiley_drive:

How long are you guys taking to get down there? Would you happen to have a google map of the approximate route?

jonyko

I don't have the exact route for now. It sure that I'll be updating the route as long as I discuss whit every body en find some nice place to go visit.

jonyko

I should start my post with this but it's never too late!!

good to start when I buy my jeep I wanted to do an overland truck. I started then to research a tent to put on because it takes a lot of space in the jeep, and with only a 2 ca door takes all instead. there were some problems when I looked for tents knew the roof.

1- I have no soft top and it really nicer to have a soft top than a hard top.

2- it takes a rack to put the tent on the roof ($$$$)

3- it takes the tent ($$$$)

4- when it rains it is a long-standing drinking a lift and you absolutely have to go outside to get into the tent.

5- drag coefficient very elevate and plus I imagine a jeep lifter !!

so I put in the creation of a concept to a full roof.

there are some models so the habitat (http://adventuretrailers.com/campers/habitat/) that was in my plan, but has $ 10,000 and is made just for 4 doors we forget.

So I created my concept adapt to my needs.

first step we will look for 4x8

2015-04-27 19.22.56.jpg
no pickup or trailer we improvise a little

the principle is simple we lift the panel and two shock old it in place

2015-05-02 10.11.38.jpg

2015-05-02 10.11.48.jpg

2015-05-02 10.12.00.jpg

first test to see what it look like on the jeep
2015-05-02 12.16.56.jpg

2015-05-02 12.17.11.jpg

2015-05-02 12.43.20.jpg

2015-05-02 12.43.29.jpg

This will be a fun great. Looking forward to reading about your trip. When is June 1st? Next month? LOL, can't wait to start reading about it...

jonyko

Then I have to make a roof for the tent roof is going to be my only roof. I think change is a hard roof to the side but it became too hard because it's not exactly the same size as the original. it is slightly higher than the original roof.

as I have no soft top and I want one I thought why not make a soft roof.

So with vinyl same thickness as that of original jeep I made ​​myself a suitcase window and door.

the principle is simple it is set up to the roof and are fixed to the jeep with the industrial velcro.

after a summer of use, maintenance velcro fine except that I will play in the bait . it filled with dirt and not yours it should be washed after and it works . to remedy the situation I'm going to install some metal clips to attach CJ old style .

to raise the window is rolled vinyl and just stick with the elastic that are on top of the ceiling.

ROtdh3T.jpg
[/IMG]

mxKvbSx.jpg
[/IMG]

WT3BGhF.jpg
[/IMG]

04p9g2r.jpg
[/IMG]

LahbJrn.jpg
[/IMG]

fWCigua.jpg
[/IMG]

I am trying to fetch tissues trying to make myself complete .

I made two little window at each end . if it rains I can open at least one of the two depending on the angle of the rain and I the last panel of the elements that protects me in my orientation.

I decided the orange for the same purpose as the hunter uses the visibility and because it is cooler than the other color. only thing that lets the orange light and it is very orange in the day !!

the roof is white paint to avoid attracting the sun.

92z4vPk.jpg
[/IMG]

2x9TfBR.jpg
[/IMG]

T0N5jQG.jpg
[/IMG]

eDU04NR.jpg
[/IMG]

jonyko

I made a hole dimension driver behind to be able to go by in the jeep. that way I can open and close by inside the jeep (not very easy to do but it is ) and I did not have to go outside to get into my tent.

to close the hole when one is in the tent , I have a piece of wood that was cut the same size as the hole but ' tapper ' ' (cut at an angle of 45 ) so I can put the panel in the hole and maintenance in place. the panel is in place between my bar and its tent roof . I have access to the panel in my tent through the hole.

FXc3Szx.jpg
[/IMG]

ADqs1Rc.jpg
[/IMG]

Kr6c2gJ.jpg
[/IMG]

8O2b0XP.jpg
[/IMG]

IgKtsQT.jpg
[/IMG]

cOZRYA5.jpg
[/IMG]

zJRHLrs.jpg
[/IMG]

hToqdhO.jpg
[/IMG]

hail4bI.jpg
[/IMG]

jonyko

I also finished my jeep behind for facilitated access . there are two chest on the wing that can accommodate the stock in my tail gate and a board to work .

roof I made a rack to put cycling and windsurfing can lift the tent with the stock on the roof. ( I would say in a place you can put up to 50lbs and be able to lift the tent anyway.

jehgUju.jpg

Y3qXfBA.jpg

the inner size of the tent is a little larger than a dual mattress. (My mattress that is presently in the roof. $ 35 at Walmart and 1.5 inch thick memory foam !! I not even here in my bed with me !!)

J8xmgI7.jpg

WVXlU8q.jpg

zoz9TTt.jpg

pRZTAhJ.jpg

PnyxcNo.jpg

0b4tix9.jpg

jonyko

first night is tested before leaving hâteras on a kitesurfing and windsurfing trip with my father

hgr6QUD.jpg

Olw4Lw9.jpg

MAc0uPM.jpg

PSNOtWA.jpg

and the tent I do not feel the same on the jeep I can flex and trail with no problem.

my brother who likes to make flex

RuTEbnM.jpg

BjNQqNK.jpg

MUAs8HR.jpg

is also the bike that fits on the roof without problem !!

hk9q367.jpg

gears for 6 person for a weekend at mont-Tremblant friend. 2 jeeps 3 days and super fun

wbvp3c6.jpg

SPPc0EX.jpg

here a youtube link for the weekend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc3EMFj_g-g

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior