4Runner and Trekker build: Trekking Overland

TrucMan

Adventurer
A new carb for the Trekker 32/36 that Iv had sitting around until I have the time to swap it on. I'm really looking forward to seeing what difference it makes to the drivability.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455569333.086209.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using paper airplanes.

TrucMan

Adventurer
Well I swapped on the 32/36 about a week and a half ago and now I have a pretty bad vacuum leak. So the Trekker is out for a bit while I figure that out, I'm thinking it's all the EGR stuff? So I'm in the process of deleting that.
In other news my 4Runner is gone, I traded it for a rather big 1982 pickup on 38s. I'm excited to get working on that and making it more exploration and camping friendly!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1460991350.672730.jpg

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
Well I swapped on the 32/36 about a week and a half ago and now I have a pretty bad vacuum leak. So the Trekker is out for a bit while I figure that out, I'm thinking it's all the EGR stuff? So I'm in the process of deleting that.
In other news my 4Runner is gone, I traded it for a rather big 1982 pickup on 38s. I'm excited to get working on that and making it more exploration and camping friendly!
View attachment 340330

That thing is huge!

TrucMan

Adventurer
Ha, yeah... I'm gunna take 3in of body lift out and see how I like it. I'd like to get it down to 37s or 35s? Haven't decided yet... I do wanna lower the COG.

Clawhammer

Adventurer
Ha, yeah... I'm gunna take 3in of body lift out and see how I like it. I'd like to get it down to 37s or 35s? Haven't decided yet... I do wanna lower the COG.

I think once you ditch the BL (and the sliders), 35's would look great. Maybe some sort of "utility" bed and pizza cutter-ish tires?

TrucMan

Adventurer
Hmm, well I'm going to be keeping the sliders. But a utility bed would be real neat! I would love some narrower tires, never really been a fan of the big wide look or their travel performance. Offroad they are mighty handy though!

I'm planning on attempting to build a RTT this summer. Sounds like fun and not to expensive of a experiment. I'm thinking of building a rack over the flatbed or something like that to hold the RTT.

Last edited:

Clawhammer

Adventurer
Hmm, well I'm going to be keeping the sliders. But a utility bed would be real neat! I would love some narrower tires, never really been a fan of the big wide look or their travel performance. Offroad they are mighty handy though!

I'm planning on attempting to build a RTT this summer. Sounds like fun and not to expensive of a experiment. I'm thinking of building a rack over the flatbed or something like that to hold the RTT.

Sliders are handy, no doubt. Those looks pretty... bulky to me. Maybe something a little more subtle? I don't know.

If you keep the flat bed, maybe you could get some of those utility tool boxes. That would get you part of the way toward a utility bed.

It would look sweet with thinner tires. More utilitarian, like a military vehicle or a Camel truck or something. Anyway, keep us posted!

TrucMan

Adventurer
Alright, its been... to long. And a lot has happened.
First and most obvious, the Trekker has gone. Not the wisest move iv ever made and iv regretted it since doing it, however it did allow me to acquire a 2002 Tacoma which iv since sold off for a nice profit.
Second iv still got my '82, which iv now been able to put funds into since iv sold off the Taco.
The '82 has been my adventure and camping rig all summer and its fantastic. Most folks iv talked to dont seem to understand why I DD such a rough riding abrasive vehicle but i dont really mind. Its capable, stupid simple, and yet looks great (IMO).
So im still here, still figuring it out, however this thread is rather inappropriately titled i think... so im unsure if i should just continue here or start a new thread??
Although i have been thinking about what it would take to build a 4Runner inspired, Trekker looking, '82 pickup walkthrough cab. But thats a pretty huge undertaking.

zidaro

Explorer
that looks like a solid foundation, get it dirty!

you would not like to see the list of Yotas come and gone thru this house :Wow1: All good fun, passed on to perpetuate the Toyota line

TrucMan

Adventurer
Thanks zidaro! Iv been through a few Toyotas myself at this point and I continue to be impressed with them.

Iv got an 8000lb winch on the way, Iv got plans for a rear bumper, and I'll be getting new tires for the front (I got these very used). Iv also got some wild ideas for storage in the bed, I'm a little worried about the beds condition however, it's pretty rusty in spots and I'd like to preserve it.

TrucMan

Adventurer
Well the Yot has been starting pretty slowly and I think the Walmart battery that came in it from PO is headed out the door. I know it's not the alt cause I just replaced that, GM alt is wonderful.
Anyways, is an Optima battery worth the extra money?? Hopefully someone has an opinion. Thanks!

Watt maker

I would look at Northstar AGM batteries. I'm impressed with mine so far. I haven't heard good things about Optima batteries lately even though they were my go-to battery years ago.

TrucMan

Adventurer
Thanks! I think that's the consensus from the research Iv done as well. I will need to make that purchase sooner than expected, she's really turning over slowly...
so much to buy, so little money. Ha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94