4Runner and Trekker build: Trekking Overland

TrucMan

Adventurer
Hey folks, iv been on the Expedition Portal for awhile and never made a build thread for my 1981 Toyota Trekker and my 1987 4Runner. My goal with these rigs is to build both into overlanding vehicles that my brother and I can use for exploration and camping. I had considered selling the Trekker for some time but recently I decided to bit the bullet and keep both trucks. This is a long haul build and im still unsure if ill succeed in my overall vision for these trucks.
Iv owned the Trekker for about 7 months now and am impressed by its rugged ability offroad and its dogged reliability as a driver. The 4Runner was/is a bit of a bank breaker after i bought a new long block for it but it continues to be my dependable daily driver.
I have a Youtube channel under the name: Trekking Overland that has begun to document some of my travels and things, i also have an Instagram account under the same name (@TrekkingOverland).

If you have suggestions and ideas please lemme know, id love to hear them. The Trekker will probably require more creativity than the 4Runner. I have lots of ideas but would love to hear others as well!

Anyways here are the rigs:
DSCN3122.jpg
DSCN3191.jpg
DSCN3205.JPG

TrucMan

Adventurer
So my plan for the 4Runner, so far, is to build storage into the rear bed sides (the plastics that originally were there are shot) I'll probably use plywood for that. It dosent have a stereo so that's in the works but I have my Midland CB so that's pretty nice. I would like a roof rack for the Runner and a snorkel.
Both trucks have brand new MT tires, the Trekkers are ProComp MTs and the Runners are Coopers STTs. I love both tires.
The Trekkers long term plan is more maintenance oriented, at least initially, it needs the front axle rebuilt and fluid topping up for everything (axles, tranny, etc). I would like to convert the engine or swap to EFI 22r.

Let me know if you've got other suggestions, Iv got many more but these are the basic ones off the top of me head.

Sent from my iPhone using paper airplanes.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Great duo!

I would do as little as necessary to them...just start using them and see if anything needs to be changed based on how they are used.

TrucMan

Adventurer
Thanks dorton!! Your rig is one of my desktop backgrounds and a huge inspiration to me.
I agree tanglefoot, I have done a lot of exploration and some camping in the Trekker so I know a few things that need doing but on a whole I don't have the finances to do many of the things I have listed, so I'm just gunna enjoy them as is for awhile.
Thanks guys!

austintaco

Explorer
Nice rides! It's definitely an ongoing process as you know. I have seen a few builds with 4runners that put roof racks on them. I believe the consensus is that the rain gutters mounts won't work well on the fiberglass caps. However I have seen a few that put tracks on the cap to build from. Let us know what you come up with.

TrucMan

Adventurer
Thanks, austintaco! Iv seen that as well, if I was going to install a roof rack it would probably bear most of the weight over the actual truck cab. But I'll be figuring that out as I start to build my rack! I'll be looking for all the help I can get.
For sure Bullfrog! Where abouts do you live?

TrucMan

Adventurer
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453070674.822755.jpg

Did some driving yesterday to Mary's Peak and the surrounding real estate. Some pretty country and there was snow up top! Which was exciting for us cause we both love driving in the snow.

TrucMan

Adventurer
That's close enough, shoot me a PM sometime, I'll let you know next time Iv got the Trek in town!

The group in, "I want to do some overlanding in Oregon" should have a meet of some kind! That would be fun.

TrucMan

Adventurer
This is a video i made earlier this year for Trekking Overland, not the best video but im still learning. Iv learned a lot since and im looking forward to making better videos in the future...
https://youtu.be/kSet7yLgVAg

Last edited:

TrucMan

Adventurer
I finally installed a stereo in the 4Runner the other day. And moved my CB to a more convenient location... Almost starting to shape up! But I think the next challenge is to make the Trekker more driver friendly.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454038042.790327.jpg

Last edited:

TrucMan

Adventurer
Using an old grill I bought, that had a hole cut into it. I was able to fit my 14" light bar onto my bumper. I'm excited to see how it performs compared to others Iv owned. This one is an OPT7 and is all spot.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455320949.579488.jpg
It's just a temporary setup until I have enough expendable income to buy a winch bumper.

Does anybody who reads this have a HAM license? I'm in the process of getting mine and was wondering about good mobile units for my trucks.
Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior