4Runner and Trekker build: Trekking Overland

TrucMan

Adventurer
Why not just cab swap it? Throw on a Xtra cab from a later gen pickup.
Or if you want 4 doors get a 4Runner body and chop it shorter.

You could work on the 4Runner body and still have the pickup to drive until it gets finished. And if you get into it and decide it's too much then you aren't in a pinch.

I actually have an extra cab sitting around, slowly being stripped of relevant parts. But I appreciate the 1st gen cabs so much more, so I think I'm going to hold off on making this decision until this summer (when it's warmer).
There's a few things I'd need to accomplish first anyways wether I was planning on doing the extra cab or not.

1. Remove the body lift (or reduce it).
2. Determine if I want a new bed or roll with what Iv got and get it protected from rust.
3. I desire a rear bumper and dual cases but that probably isn't totally realistic before summer... dang...

Anywho, recent pic.
133ee816f1f0f7d3030b67ccc9681f9f.jpg

If anyone Instagram's I'm on there as TrekkingOverland. So, there's that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrucMan

Adventurer
I'm thinking just put a canopy on the back and run that for a while. That may satisfy my needs for more storage?! And I can transport my pup more easily that way...

TrucMan

Adventurer
6ce9d49a5529ea847781e5cb8481552c.jpg

Put a lumber rack on it, I'll be modifying it as time allows. Iv got some ideas for it including a soft topper, storage on top, and overcab lights, etc.
If anyone has any pictures of a swing out bumper on a 1st gen pickup I would super appreciate it as well. Haven't found any pictures, makes me wonder how many people have built them for their pickups before.

TrucMan

Adventurer
359f71e00d01579429bfa3fd591f8220.jpg

8c6d5ee8305686d5c08609344f8b8d81.jpg

Lopped about 2 3/8s off the bottom to tuck the whole thing up closer to the cab and bed.
Then cut the excess off over the cab, I'll be tweaking the over cab section more this week but this is how I ended today.

a0e17badd951516ef5122418e534b886.jpg

TrucMan

Adventurer
Yeah I agree, much better. I'm going to weld a few more crossbars to support a canoe and a luggage torpedo.
If it can hold both of those plus some lights, mission accomplished.
If not, looks cool I guess.

TrucMan

Adventurer
cb9ac86c7c9b9fdc2a9a0da89b4a6110.jpg

Put my Thule luggage torpedo up, had to weld in a cross bar and then it bolted right up. I got the unit for free from family because there was no key. So I went to the local lock smith and he had the right one, the one key cost me $20. Ouch, but I'm glad for more storage.
Looks like I may have enough space for some other things up there as well. I've got more coming...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94