My WiFi Extender adventure

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Like many of you, I'm not a "Full Timer". I still own a house and a yard and a bunch of stuff! But I plan to work out of my Toy Hauler this spring and summer as my business has me traveling all over the country. Why not work in a different area each week?

This entails being able to connect to the internet and access to WiFi when it is available and of good quality.

The search led me to TechnoRV.com. After reading a million articles on WiFi extenders, I realized that getting good, fast, unsecured WiFi in most areas will be a bonus and a HotSpot will usually be a better way to access the internet. With this in mind I didn't want to spend a ton of dough on a WiFi repeater system. I opted for the "External WiFi Booster Tube" antenna and the "ALFA R36 Repeater"

http://www.technorv.com/RV_WiFi_Boosters_s/85.htm

I ordered the equipment on Tuesday and it was here at my house on Friday. Eric Johnson, the owner of TechnoRv was a great help in selecting the equipment and offered a free shipping incentive. I went with TechnoRV because I'm all thumbs when it comes to IT stuff. I barely can do email.....I need to call one of my 12 year old grandkids to get me out of Ethernet predicaments I get myself into.

If you buy the product from TechnoRV, they email you something they call "TechnoRV Learning Series" once you pay for the product. These are fantastic tutorials that even I could understand!

So anyways...How does it work?

Well, it's 32 degrees right now and the Forest River 19RR is under wraps so I can't install the system on the trailer. But I had to check it out.

I simply plugged the antenna/booster into the repeater with the supplied USB cable (USB means no loss that a coax connection between a booster and an antenna would have and much less chance of RF interference) , plugged the repeater into a wall socket with the included power supply (The repeater runs on 12v DC so in the camper it can run off my batteries as I do 85% boondocking).

I simply left the repeater on the floor next to my desk in my office

P1150002-vi.jpg

and stretched out the USB cable and mounted the antenna in the window of my wifes bathroom

P1150003-vi.jpg

I followed the instructions from the "Learning Series" and I was actually up and running in ten minutes! I couldn't believe it was this easy! I've NEVER hooked anything up to my computer that worked the first time and didn't need at least two stiff drinks! This time I was up and running with out a lick of liquor.......Bummer!

I live out in the country with very few houses and zero businesses within a couple miles of me. With the WiFi on my MacBook Air and my Iphone5s I can only pick up my own router and the Xfinity WiFi from my cable TV router......That's it!

But as you can see from this screen shot, I've got WiFi coming in from all over the place. I can identify at least one and it is about a 1/4 mile away!

ScreenShot20160115at7_07_54PM-vi.png

As I was warned, you don't find many "Open" WiFi points. So I'm hoping this will work well when parked near a Lowes, HomeDepot, McDonalds etc which offer open WiFi. We'll see!

But so far, for the money spent, $150 total, I'm really impressed!

I also bought a WeBOOST Drive4G-M for cellular and HotSpot range extension that I'll report on at another time.

I hope this helps some others if they are thinking about adding a WiFi repeater to their bag of technology tricks!

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Don't get much more "Plug and Play" than this combination. I'm going to put it in the truck tomorrow and drive around and see how it works real time.

zelatore

Explorer
I'll be very interested in how your WeBoost system works. I installed one of there top end systems in my Rover earlier this year and have been disappointed.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Unfortunate that you are not having success with your WeBoost. I've read so many great reviews on it. Hope I have better luck.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Rbertalotto,

Basically, I'm looking to do the same thing, so I'll be following to see how it works out for you also.

Thanks for posting...

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Sorry, Other than using it here in my office, I've not had an opportunity to take it on the road. From my office window, I've been able to access free WiFi at a golf course club house that is about a 1/2 mile away. But it is line of sight. I can actually see the club house from where the antenna is located. Otherwise I've been able to pick up two other unsecured wifi but I have no idea where they are located. With an omni directional antenna I can't 'locate" them.

Can't wait to install it in the trailer and try it out under real world conditions.

seekerbeta

Observer
Something like Ubiquiti works the same way. advantages being that the system can work on 12v. combining a Ubiquiti Nanostation M5 and a Wisp SOHO router could create a good system to work with offroad. you also have to remember Antenna Reciprocity - ie if you improve the antenna on one end, it makes the connection stronger in both ways... i could talk endlessly, maybe i should build one to show off...

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Thanks Seeker,

I looked into the Ubiquiti but I wanted something MUCH simpler and MUCH less expensive. If this works out as I expect, I'll be thrilled. If not, the next step is the WiFi Ranger with a Ubiquiti antenna system.........

Rbertalotto

Explorer
That is the same unit I'm using but it is built into an outside antenna. I'm using an ALFA router before it so I can have multiple devices operating off WiFi at the same time. Glad to hear your's is working so well. Thanks!

Stromgewehr

Does this configuration allow you to establish your own SSID or are you using the same SSID of the network you are connected to?

patoz

Expedition Leader
Sorry, Other than using it here in my office, I've not had an opportunity to take it on the road. From my office window, I've been able to access free WiFi at a golf course club house that is about a 1/2 mile away. But it is line of sight. I can actually see the club house from where the antenna is located. Otherwise I've been able to pick up two other unsecured wifi but I have no idea where they are located. With an omni directional antenna I can't 'locate" them.

Can't wait to install it in the trailer and try it out under real world conditions.

Well, what's the verdict, is this system worth purchasing? Any results or findings from parks or on the road you can share with us?

It looks like pretty good quality equipment and the price is not too bad, but I'd really like to hear some real world results before I buy.

Thanks...

Rbertalotto

Explorer
I have two WiFi booster systems. The TechnoRV ALFA36 with amplified antenna and recently a Ubiquity system that was outlined here:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/personal-high-powered-rv-wi-fi-for-under-100-tutorial-229340.html

The TechnoRV system is permanently mounted on the TT. The Ubiquity I use as a mobile system and take it with me when I travel to use in hotel rooms when the hotels WiFi is too conjested or I'm in a room too far away from a node.

Both work great. The Ubiquity is a bit involved to set up, but once set up, is easier to use day to day.

I never, or very rarely, use WiFi in a campground. In many cases I can find a McDonalds, Starbucks, Lowes, Home Depot or other retailer with free WiFi that I can now reach from the campsite.

I'm finding more and more Free WiFi hotspots sponsored by my home cable TV company, Xfinity. They have made every modem in every business and house a WiFi hot spot. There are now tens of thousands of them.

For the low cost of entry, both systems are worth a buy.....

patoz

Expedition Leader
That is some very good info and thanks for getting back to me so soon. I also just found your other post here... http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/156692-Cellular-Booster-WiFi-Booster-install-Done! ...and I'm reading through it now. I looked at the install on your website also. Nice job on that BTW!

Basically, I'm looking to do like your are, by finding as much free WiFi around camping areas and trying to use that. I'm retired so Internet access would mainly be just for email, access to forums, weather and news updates, etc. If the connection was fast enough, I might stream a Netflix movie every now and then.

I'll check out the Ubiquity system also.

Thanks again...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles