The 87 Bronco adventure rig build - El Chucho - Closed/Sold

Flazer

Observer
There are three things that can cause your current brake problems. 1: Your MC has bad seals and needs rebuilt. 2: Your vacuum booster is leaking and needs replaced. 3: Your brake adjustment rod, which connects the pedal to the booster and MC, needs adjustment. I'm thinking its 3 though you may as well rebuild the MC while your at it. It IS almost 30 years old. Anyways, for the rod, you simply need to disconnect it from the pedal and unscrew it from the firewall an inch or two. See if that helps. The reason why I say its the rod is because it sounds like the PO did a half assed job of rebuilding your brakes so its possible he threw a new or remaned MC and/or booster in and didn't make the necessary adjustments.

As far as your axles go, I wouldn't worry. Sounds like you got the job done. So long as there aren't any burs on the axles shafts to damage the seals, you shouldn't have to worry about them. I would make sure that the breather tube for the axle is clean and is run up to the engine with a filter installed to keep water and dirt out of the axle though. Should also help keep any oil from being pushed out around the seals as temps changed.

Good luck finding an I6 with the M5OD combo. Its the most sought after and rarest combo out there. If you have your heart set on it, you're better off finding the engine and tranny separately and bolting them together yourself. The hard part will be finding the output shaft adapter, since the bronco is so much shorter than the F series pickups you'll have to source for the transmission. Keep the 8.8 rear. Its actually tougher than the 9". The only reason most people like the 9" is so they can swap out diffs so much faster.

If you want any sort of simple lift, go with a 2" spring lift from JBG. Coils and leafs are cheap enough and easy enough to install. Just make sure you get the adjustable camber bushings so you can get the alignment done after the new springs. Keep the 15" wheels too. There are still plenty of tire sizes out there that use them. You just have to go to a place like discount tire or a tire specific place. Off road stores only sell what they sponsor. I run 33X10.5 Wrangler BFGs on 15" wheels and with the right alignment and a tie rod flip, they don't even rub on the frame.

Good luck on your build. Looking forward to seeing it in action.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll start with the adjustment rod, I had recently read that. We'll have some nice weather this weekend, so I can work on that. While I was under the rear end, I checked the breather hose. It's clear and tucked up with a plastic plug loosely in the end. I'll grab a small filter like you're saying and put it on there.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll start with the adjustment rod, I had recently read that. We'll have some nice weather this weekend, so I can work on that. While I was under the rear end, I checked the breather hose. It's clear and tucked up with a plastic plug loosely in the end. I'll grab a small filter like you're saying and put it on there.

Good to hear there was something over the hose. Make sure the hose end is up high before you put the filter on. I don't know what conditions you'll be wheeling it, but keep the end above any water levels you may encounter. Its the little details like that which will determine how long your BKO lasts.

Also, I had another thought about your brake issue and realized it could also be your ABS causing the problem. Maybe a short or the tone ring sensor is loose or misaligned.

greengreer

Adventurer
Not sure if I would go as far as to call the 4.9 m5od rare by any means. If you are going to swap transmissions then why not go for the zf5? Much tougher than the mazda and better gear ratios while still offering the drivability of a modern transmission.
Around here the sbf zf5's go for around $500 and complete 4.9's around $300.

Flazer

Observer
Good to hear there was something over the hose. Make sure the hose end is up high before you put the filter on. I don't know what conditions you'll be wheeling it, but keep the end above any water levels you may encounter. Its the little details like that which will determine how long your BKO lasts.

Also, I had another thought about your brake issue and realized it could also be your ABS causing the problem. Maybe a short or the tone ring sensor is loose or misaligned.

Good call, I'll go down that road if the adjusting rod doesn't help. I did bleed my ABS bleeder screw, though that's a bit different than what you're mentioning. Conditions here are fairly dry, but water crossings may be in my future - just depends on the time of year.

Not sure if I would go as far as to call the 4.9 m5od rare by any means. If you are going to swap transmissions then why not go for the zf5? Much tougher than the mazda and better gear ratios while still offering the drivability of a modern transmission.

True, it isn't all that rare, but I see his point. You're right about the zf5. If I did do the switch, it would be down the line, as the 302 and AOD seem to be in pretty good shape, at least for a beater expedition rig. Luckily gas is cheap, for now.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief

In a Bronco, it is. As I mentioned, the F-series pickup carried thousands of them. The hard part is locating the adaptor for between the transmission and transfer case since on the bronco, its about 6 inches shorter than the F series pickup adaptor.

underdrive

jackwagon
The hard part is locating the adaptor for between the transmission and transfer case since on the bronco, its about 6 inches shorter than the F series pickup adaptor.
Stick a ZF5 in it and that problem goes away. I would never go thru the trouble of sourcing an obscure part for a so-so transmission when a great transmission is already fairly readily available in suitable length. Also the adapter length is usually matched to the transmission's tail shaft, so I somewhat doubt just sticking a short Bronco adapter on a pickup-truck transmission is all that will be needed...

The 8.8 has a good differential indeed, but those wheel bearings are craptastic design - I'd be very tempted to look into them C-clip eliminators that people who autocross and drag-race are using.

Tires, tall and skinny 15s are somewhat limited in selection. 235/85-16 is available in just about any model you can think of tho. Go with load range D if you want more comfort, the E-range will be practically indestructible under a light Bronco but it will also ride quite rough. Of course if tall and fat is what's wanted, lots of those in 15" size, just make sure the wheels are wide enough for them.

Flazer

Observer
Got the rear shocks on yesterday. Also adjusted the pushrod for the master cylinder, and that didn't make a difference. Decided to go ahead and order a new MC. I contacted the PO and he verified that he hadn't replaced it, and didn't think the guy before him had either.

Of course my Bronco is special, so my MC is more expensive and had to be ordered. Brand new not a reman. Hopefully that helps.

Flazer

Observer
You're right, though no one had a kit locally, and so it'll have to be ordered. I may try that route, since the kit is cheap.

Flazer

Observer
Had quite the adventure with the master cylinder. Lines were rusted to the old one, and nuts began to round. At that point I took it down to a local shop because if I broke anything, I'd have bigger problems.

Well , they ended up breaking a line and having to replace it, but they got the new MC installed and now I have excellent brakes!

In the mean time, tires came in. I went with Treadwright Guard Dogs for the time being - 31x10.5x15. After doing a bit of research, they seem to be quality tires for the price, and since this is a secondary, weekend warrior vehicle, they should serve me well.

They look good, but are pretty loud compared to the bald MT's that were on it. I had the tire place check out my front end while they were at it, and they recommended a right side outer tie rod end, and new lower ball joints. I'll get to those with time. At least she's on the road now!
77ed9799351f3da6d6b8ba620dabf0d1.jpg

16d686232d8ec3fd2a5a2234dafc7503.jpg

Bonus picture of the Ruby Mountains from an early morning fly fishing outing - still working on my casting, but had a blast - no fish were caught.
b6ee288edb0a32ef90db7bac20ded744.jpg
a71edcf6e634857954d7c5b44887673d.jpg

Flazer

Observer
Sorry for the delay. Been busy with vacation and house projects as the weather has finally turned nice.

I put a set of treadwright tires on the Bronco, and honestly, I'm not impressed. Avoid them. So far, I've had two manufacturing issues, causing blistering and perpetual leaking from two tires. They've handled the first warranty claim well, still waiting on the second. I should have headed the warnings, but wanted to support an American company, that was supposedly doing good work.

Otherwise, I drew a couple of big ticket hunt tags this year, and will need to get the Bronco in shape to help carry people and my animals out.

Short list:
ball joints
outer tie rod ends
alignment
vacuum hoses and spark plugs to finish the tune up

Rewire back window - looks like someone had issues with the dash switch, got angry, cut the wires, and hot wired the motor to where I have to plug wires into connectors, or flip them to make the window go up or down.

And replace the bucket seats. Driver's side isn't bad, but the passenger side is awful.

I'll post up when I start some of these things in the next few weeks.

KSL22

Adventurer
A great cheep and easy upgrade on the TTB 44 is to swap the center short axle / u-joint with one out of the TTB 50 from a F-250. Same spline and length with a much bigger u-joint and better casting.

Flazer

Observer
Sorry for the lack of updates. Life took some turns and we moved back to Sacramento to be closer to friends and family. I also foolishly bid on and won a 2000 Chevy K2500HD (GMT400) sight unseen. I do not recommend this, though in my case everything worked out. Truck is in good shape and not hacked together like a lot of used projects I've bought.

This was a fleet vehicle for the Carson City Street Department. I'll make a new thread, so I don't anticipate "building" it except for some minor changes to make it a better camping and hunting vehicle.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles