100 Series Replacement Dash / Interior Parts

RotorHead04

Observer
I just bought a 2000 LC and am loving it. Just like everyone here there are things I would like to upgrade and change. One item on that list is the interior dash appearance. Right now it has the fake woodgrain stuck to most of the dash, and various other interior parts. I would like to replace it with just a simple black panel face. Same with around the vents, window switches, gear shifter, and glove box. Where is the best place to source replacement interior parts? I know I could probably remove the fake wood, but that leaves a mess of adhesive residue. I would rather remove and replace with new parts.

Along those lines the previous owner installed an aftermarket CD player. I would like to go back to the OEM radio if anyone has a pull out they are wanting to part with.

IMG_4614.JPG.jpg

Chris Boyd

Explorer
I have an OEM radio from my 99. PM if your interested, but I'd say why? I love my pioneer deck with USB/Bluetooth and rear camera view!

uzj100

Adventurer
apply play is only 400 bucks and you can plug in your phone and replicate it on the screen.

Dwight S

Take some time with a hair dryer and some fishing line. Heat it up for a few minutes to soften the glue then take the fishing line and slip under the wood grain and cut/separate the wood grain from the original black plastic pieces. The glue is pretty easy to roll up and clean off. May not look 100% factory fresh, but not too bad.

scottman

Observer
I just took the wood grain off my 99 this week. Couple of hours work and the trim underneath looks brand new. I used a heat gun and wd40 to soften the adhesive. Don't use any tools with sharp edges or blades, the heatgun will soften the adhesive enough that you can "roll" it off with your thumb after the panels come off.

RotorHead04

Observer
Thanks for the hair dryer idea. I spent a few hours in the garage fiddling with it and got a good portion wood trim removed. I still have some adhesive residue I need to apply some chemicals (alcohol?) to in order to completely remove. My fingertips feel like they are going to fall off from all the rubbing but it is worth it. I still have a bit to go but the wife hopped in and loves the black look over the wood grain, she said "it looks 20 years newer!" We all know the key to buying new goodies for the rig is keeping the wife happy! So I guess Im on the right track.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Can you post some pics? My wife wants me to fix up the wood grain that is lifting, but I know she'd rather not have it at all! Just concerned with what's underneath...

Last edited:

SixLug

Explorer
I just did the center shifter cover today. FILTHY.

IMG_20160207_124328_zpszcnbvq1e.jpg

IMG_20160207_124318_zpslojvlqrm.jpg

IMG_20160207_124308_zpsw1ccugbi.jpg

IMG_20160207_124335_zpswz5nb8qs.jpg

And final product:
IMG_20160207_143531_zpsyxtiaaqq.jpg

Still have to do the dash and all the doors. I feel like its pretty dang plain, but it looks better than the worn out "wood".

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
That looks great sixlug! Thanks for posting the pics! I bet you feel better about how clean it is! I think when the final bits are done, and it's all black, it'll look more at home.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I like the plain black look and not much else. Have you seen the funky grey wood grain in some of the later 100's? Talk about ****** are you thinking Toyota!? I just started prying off the wood grain junk. It breaks easily. I was just to lazy to dig out the heat gun but that is how I will get most of it off. My shifter is pretty worn, the leather, I bought a new one from Toyota. I like a nice fresh looking interior not one showing age.

Also if you dash switches are sticking, like rear heater, it just needs the plunger cleaned.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz