Thoughts on making a 2wd van more capable

slager

Mwilliamshs, I was just referring to a spacer block between leafs and axle not an add a leaf. I don't think that would affect ride quality. The van does have air adjustable shocks with a central Schrader valve on rear bumper. Even pumped up it doesn't change ride height maybe that is not the purpose of those kind of shocks though...

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Mwilliamshs, I was just referring to a spacer block between leafs and axle not an add a leaf...

Gotcha. I didn't read that closely enough. A block may induce axle wrap, especially off-road.

...The van does have air adjustable shocks with a central Schrader valve on rear bumper. Even pumped up it doesn't change ride height maybe that is not the purpose of those kind of shocks though...

Yep, the shocks aren't supposed to provide lift, just damping.

Grngiant

Adventurer
Springs from a 1ton Dodge van should give you a little boost. Also swapping where the upper balljoint mounts, from on top of the upper a-arm to the underside of arm, will give 1/4" of lift for the cost of a few bolts and a little time.
Lift spindles, if you can find them, would be great.
Without the lift spindles you should be able to get a couple inches of lift. Any more than a couple of inches will require mucho work and $$$$$.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
1994 Dodge B150 and D150 share: upper ball joint, lower ball joint, outer tie rod, and inner tie rod but not tie rod adjusting sleeves. That being said, I suspect spindles may interchange. Why? Dodge didn't share tie rod adjusting sleeves. That's because the track width, frame width, or both of the trucks and vans differ. Dodge could have shared the sleeves if they'd made the one-piece spindle and steering arm to fit the vehicle and to share the tie rod adjusting sleeve but they didn't. My guess is that the tie rod adjusting sleeves differ between vehicles because the spindles probably do not. Far cheaper to stamp adjusting different sleeves of two different lengths than to forge two different spindles. The newer Dakotas and the old half-ton Rams can swap spindles (popular way to lower an old D150 is to use the "truckin'" crowd's drop spindles) so a van/truck share would not be an entirely novel concept for Dodge.

BTW B150 coil springs interchange with 1997-2003 Ford F-150 and there're lots of spring options for the Ovals that my not be listed for the Goats.

Last edited:

Petrolburner

Explorer
I would avoid leaf spring blocks if at all possible. Is there a place nearby you that will re-arch your springs? You really want to pursue additional travel, and not just height.

Petrolburner

Explorer
I've found the tires you want to make your 2WD van more capable!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-Tires...35-/221981753407?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

s-l500.jpg

Petrolburner

Explorer
No comments on a tire with nearly one inch tall lugs? Obviously unstreetable but it would be cool to have an extra set of rear tires for the dunes. One time. Then your van would likely be totaled.

Better than this!

74146393-tourists-push-their-van-through-the-khongoryn-gettyimages.jpg

slager

image.jpegI like it Petrolburner. Better yet get one of those dually wheel kits from Jc Whitney and run 4 33" mudders on the rear. All raked up it'd be pretty mad max. But then I'd need the 440 to get em goin.

slager

Anywho, I was doing some measuring and my current tires, 235/75r15 Cooper highway tires, measure 27" in diameter. The tires I want to get cooper At3 or General AT2 in 265/75r15, the specs on them say they are 29.6. Anyone have these mounted on a 7" rim and know what the diameter is in the real world? Because if they are close to that there is no way the front will fit without lifting or some fender trimming...

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
265/75-15 are 29.5 or taller on 7" rims. Manufacturers state a "measured rim width" which is the size of wheel the tire is mounted on when they measure it. Firestone states 7.5" measured rim width for their Destination LE and a height of 30.7". Narrower wheel = taller and vice-versa.

slager

image.jpg. Got the Cooper AT3s 265/70r15 put on yesterday. Definitely the max I could stuff under it, but if it clears it clears. Couldnt be happier. Reassuring having these meats compared to the old passenger car pizza cutters.

Anyone ever think of adding a transfer case to get a creeper gear? I'll be adding a Syncro trans to my Vanagon. That will give me a creeper gear and a locker, since on a vanagon we say transmission, but it is really a transaxle.

biere

Observer
On larger vehicles it is common to have multiple transmissions, well it was in the old days when we did not have so many gears in the transmission.

Biggest thing I would worry about on a transfer case or something is adding a lot of weight for not much benefit.

With a stickshift you are limited to your overall gear ratios at the wheels, and maybe some slipping of the clutch.

With an automatic you have the torque convertor slippage to help out your gearing at times when you want to be slower than stock.

Lots of folks want to add stuff like the gear vendors overdrive to help mileage, but I have read that when reversed they give lower gearing options.

I have been playing on the skoolie forum, converted schoolbuses into rv's, and now and then they get into transmission discussions and what not.

One thing to keep in mind with a 2wd is that if you are looking at adding a transfercase you might be better off just changing out the original transmission.

With a 4x4 you have the transfercase not just for gearing but also to get that front driveshaft spinning.

On something 2wd you might find it simpler to go to a different transmission with the gearing options you want.

Anyone thinking about going to 4x4 may as well look hard at the transfercase of course.

My thoughts on adding the transfer case was to provide a creeper gear. That probably isn't possible with a standard transmission, and if it is, then a rebuild is needed to install the creeper gear and you then loose one gear, because it would be so low that it would not be used, or useful, in every day driving.

With the VW, the transmission change, as you suggested does work. The 4wd (Syncro in VW terms) transmission (actually a transaxle) adds a 5th gear with the creeper gear So it is basically a 4-speed plus creeper-granny gear. I don't think such would exist for American iron, but I am not super familiar with such. VW does not use a transfer case, hence the addition of the creeper-granny gear to the trans.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Being a front engine / rear wheel drive there are two ways to add a transfer case for lower gears. The current transmission could be used with a divorced transfer case or a transmission with a 4WD tail housing and regular transfer case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shevy5000