Issues with National Luna dual battery setup

brasskey

Observer
I have run a National Luna dual battery setup (solenoid & monitor) for about 6-7 years. I installed Configuration Number 7 as detailed on page 12 of this link as I am running a winch. I have run this setup with with no issues up until now.

I went out today and my son had left some lights on, so the battery was dead as it's been sitting for about a week. I went to the controller to jump from the other battery as I have done before, but it was not reading any charge on the second battery. I end up jumping the vehicle and then I noticed that the second battery still had no display on the controller. I also noticed on the solenoid panel that none of the lights were on (Timer Active or Solenoid Engaged). I checked my wiring to make sure nothing had come loose, but everything looks good. Any ideas what the issue could be causing the second battery to not be seen by the controller? Bad solenoid?

dstock

Explorer
Try disconnecting the black wire for the solenoid and see if it resets. There is a fuse in the Intelligent Solenoid, its possible that has blown. Paul May at Equipt can help you out if you can't figure it out. I would put a voltmeter on the aux battery and see what kind of voltage you there.

For what it's worth, I didn't have much luck with the NL system on my Jeep and switched to a Blue Sea ACR.

brasskey

Observer
Try disconnecting the black wire for the solenoid and see if it resets. There is a fuse in the Intelligent Solenoid, its possible that has blown. Paul May at Equipt can help you out if you can't figure it out. I would put a voltmeter on the aux battery and see what kind of voltage you there.

For what it's worth, I didn't have much luck with the NL system on my Jeep and switched to a Blue Sea ACR.

Thanks, I also spoke with Paul at Equipt. May just be a bad back up battery.

Already read through that before posting. My issues are a little different.

dstock

Explorer
Thanks, I also spoke with Paul at Equipt. May just be a bad back up battery.

Already read through that before posting. My issues are a little different.

Your issues are different for sure, hope you get them resolved quickly!

JohnnyS

Explorer

Good to know...I was going to go with NL set ups in two rigs, I'm definitely leaning towards the Blue Sea now (ML-ACR 7622).
Thanks!

dstock

Explorer
Good to know...I was going to go with NL set ups in two rigs, I'm definitely leaning towards the Blue Sea now (ML-ACR 7622).
Thanks!

The Blue Sea has been rock solid so far, very pleased with it. It's a very straight forward set up, and having the mechanical switch on the unit and the remote on the center console is great. The 2 LED's on the remote switch let you know when the batteries are connected or separated, and blink if there is a problem with a battery.

A few weeks ago my starting battery finally died (Diehard Platinum, long story) and I flipped the switch on the console to connect to my aux and it started right up, exactly as intended! It's a nice simple heavy duty solution.

brasskey

Observer
It did just turn out to be a bad battery as Paul suggested. So, no issues with the NL setup. I didn't really consider a bad battery since it's a DieHard Platinum that's under two years old. Now that the Platinums are discontinued, what are some other recommendations? What about the rebadged Duracell AMGs?

dstock

Explorer
My starting Diehard Platinum died just under 3 years, we will see how long the Aux one lasts.

I went with an Optima yellow top based on availability, cost, etc. I am kind of over the fancy battery thing. We will see how it goes.

So was the NL controller not showing that your Aux battery was bad prior to the starting battery dying?

brasskey

Observer
So was the NL controller not showing that your Aux battery was bad prior to the starting battery dying?

I have never had issues with the NL controller and initially assume that was the problem. The auxiliary battery level on the controller was just blank (zero). Only my starting battery was showing charge, thought, so I thought something was wrong with controller or there was a bad connection to aux battery from the solenoid. I just never considered a completely dead batter because it was only two years old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne