Defender 110 double cab with Isuzu turbo diesel build up...

Shoogs

Shoogs
I once lived in northern Zambia, where I bought my Camel 110 coincidentally, though commenting on your choice of beverage we had a local hardware store of sorts who bought a pallet of Fosters thinking us Aussies living close by would buy it... That was 4 years ago, it's still there... Minus 1 carton that's was bought for a birthday present, the local brew "Mosi" is much preferred...

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Funnily enough the fosters over here doesn't taste the same as the fosters back home...here it's brewed in Canada under license of some other company... It does make a decent shandy though...

Shoogs

Shoogs
Funnily enough the fosters over here doesn't taste the same as the fosters back home...here it's brewed in Canada under license of some other company... It does make a decent shandy though...

The one in Zambia was brewed in Scotland... Good for degreasing we found...

Do we still have it here...? I have never seen it.
Rigs looking good when does the adventure start...?

The Rover Shop

Explorer
So I started with the reassembly of bulkhead components, now I've had some experience with trying to resolve water ingress on one of the larger Land Rover restoration companies product, so on this build I am going to try and stop/limit the amount of water that gets into the truck as well as try to eliminate areas where water sits and rust festers.... If you know Land Rover defenders both of those are no small undertaking..
Steering column and associated brackets were sanded and treated and then painted and installed..the upper mounting bracket where it mounts to the firewall has some factory holes where water can get in if it splashes up there or overflows past the sealing strip where the hood (bonnet) meets..you'd be surprised how much water flows backwards off the hood in a torrential downpour..
So after the upper bracket was installed all the mating areas and holes were sealed with strip caulk..holes can be seen top right of pic..

image.jpg

Eagle eyes will notice the special washers that I use.. These are a rubber backed washer, hopefully sealing the mounting hole areas, some of the mounting holes are slotted for adjustments so naturally it won't work on those but for the most..it does. So once it's sealed it looks like...

image.jpg

image.jpg
View attachment 358558

And then the backside is sealed for draft and water..I have found that the factory foam sealing block doesn't cut it so I seal it up with dynamat and the same strip caulk..

image.jpg

Next the brake booster mounting point is very important... Strip foam sealing strip is used where the booster mounts..and once installed should be completely sealed..

image.jpg

image.jpg

All bolts are stainless steel as well as stainless nyloc nuts, those rubber washers also limit steel to aluminium electrolysis happening..(even though the bulkhead is steel..

So from the inside you should have a nicely sealed area..:)

image.jpg

Last edited:
So I started with the reassembly of bulkhead components, now I've had some experience with trying to resolve water ingress on one of the larger Land Rover restoration companies product, so on this build I am going to try and stop/limit the amount of water that gets into the truck as well as try to eliminate areas where water sits and rust festers.... If you know Land Rover defenders both of those are no small undertaking..
Steering column and associated brackets were sanded and treated and then painted and installed..the upper mounting bracket where it mounts to the firewall has some factory holes where water can get in if it splashes up there or overflows past the sealing strip where the hood (bonnet) meets..you'd be surprised how much water flows backwards off the hood in a torrential downpour..
So after the upper bracket was installed all the mating areas and holes were sealed with strip caulk..holes can be seen top right of pic..

Absolutely love watching this build. FYI, we use the 3M Pro-Seal for anything aircraft related and its fabulous stuff for sealing panels with no chance of water penetration and corrosion. I know, bold statement but properly used its the best around. Not sure if its in your budget, but by the looks of your great work, you may want to look into it for the long term sealing/corrosion and penetration benefits its going to provide you. Primer and Pro-Seal.........that easy.

http://www.aircraftsupply.com/sealants-rtv-flamemaster-pro-seal-tite-seal.html

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I thought Rover river crossing ability was directly related to keeping weight on the tires? That and fast draining on the other side so your not weighed down with water..

Rover your building a boat. LOL

Kgh

Let’s go already!
At this rate mine might be back on the road before yours...:)

Truck broke down July 17th.
Made it to Dealership on the 28th.

Got an email from them Monday that the main fuse was blown, and they had...wait for it...ordered one. A $4.95 fuse link has to be ordered so they can either a) immediately blow it, or b) get the truck fired up and connect to diagnostics.

Why don't we just trade? 1 Puma with Lucas inspired electrics...

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Truck broke down July 17th.
Made it to Dealership on the 28th.

Got an email from them Monday that the main fuse was blown, and they had...wait for it...ordered one. A $4.95 fuse link has to be ordered so they can either a) immediately blow it, or b) get the truck fired up and connect to diagnostics.

Why don't we just trade? 1 Puma with Lucas inspired electrics...

Umm, no thanks, I prefer reliability over poseur.....:)

carts

Adventurer
You drink Fosters nobody drinks fosters. Mate you best get back to OZ quick so your taste buds can recuperate ;-)

(seen in your pic of your tray after paint)
did want to make some comment about being in sepo land to long but really didn't want to offend ;-)
The American guys that I have spent time with out in the boonies have all been excellent dudes and I mean that but some of the cheep beer was rank. Whilst the guys from northern Europe were a little harder to get along with but had great beer. Here at home well Coopers is good and South Australia has to be good for somthing other than keeping the east coasters out of the west ;-)
carts from WA

Last edited:

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Shayne, or should I call you by your American name, Johnny Grant... :costumed-smiley-007

Just picked up this one to be Multi-Rover owner like you, and now wanna know if this is old enough, 300TDi enough, Wolf rimmed enough, snorkled enough and RHD enough not to be a poseur in your esteemed opinion?

A good platform to steal some of your ideas.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 21

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Who the hell is Johnny Grant..??...gonna have to look that one up...:).. What's that make it now..3..?? Or did you sell the one back here... I think I'm down to 10 trucks right now...(may go UP at any given time..)... Looks like a cool truck, we may have to reevaluate your poseur status...maybe.....:)

The Rover Shop

Explorer
So while I had the fenders apart painting them I added a bit of generic sound deadening that I had laying around.. Then it was primer sealed and will be painted over...this just reduces a bit of the tinny reverberation on the panels...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Who the hell is Johnny Grant..??...gonna have to look that one up...:).. What's that make it now..3..?? Or did you sell the one back here... I think I'm down to 10 trucks right now...(may go UP at any given time..)... Looks like a cool truck, we may have to reevaluate your poseur status...maybe.....:)

I am a solid 3. Pending 4 when I go look at a Perentie GenSupport next week. Or maybe an FFR if I can figure out how to get rid of the "transom" rear opening, and tailgate mod it.

I will be revisiting your aux heat threads. As they say "Winter is coming". And in S. Germany or wherever work takes me, some heat will be nice.

This rig you are building is going to be very quiet with all the sound reduction. Did you buy a bulk lot of it? Buying here thru Amazon Prime is free shipping, but still costly.

Kgh

Let’s go already!
So while I had the fenders apart painting them I added a bit of generic sound deadening that I had laying around.. Then it was primer sealed and will be painted over...this just reduces a bit of the tinny reverberation on the panels

So chequer plate is NOT a sound deadener?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94