Defender 110 double cab with Isuzu turbo diesel build up...

The Rover Shop

Explorer
While I had it apart I wanted to replace the front footwell panels that we're getting a little crusty, to ensure correct alignment I mounted the bulkhead and just tacked them in place , will finish weld them once I remove the bulkhead again.

image.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Got the old mounts cut off and tack welded in place for the correct engine positioning, sat the engine as high as possible without interfering with the hood or engine Trans level alignment. As mentioned, left the original engine mounting points in place...when I pull the engine assy back out to finish the adaption to auto I will finish weld the mounts..and gusset them. Just to make sure..

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Pulled the whole assembly back out and disassembled the transfer box fro the tranny, resealed the transfer box and then pulled the auto Trans apart to replace the governor weights to alter the shift points to the correct revs for the Diesel engine.

image.jpg
Resealed the tranny rear as I reassembled.. Installed an overhauled torque converter just to be sure. Replaced the Diesel engine rear main oil seal to be on the safe side and changed some coolant hoses that were easier to get to on the back of the engine before I mated it to the tranny.. Finished welding the engine brackets on and painted the area. Dropped the engine and Trans assy back into the frame..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Moved onto finishing the rear tub, after replacing all of the tub support bars I didn't like the corrosion where the front of the tub floor mounts to the frame so I had a replacement pice npbe to up that installed behind it...bonded it in with panel bond and pop riveted it in place, should give plenty of reinforcing support..

image.jpeg

Sanded the rear tub in prep for painting, being the eternal optimist I was hoping that a good sanding and primer sealer should do the trick as I want to paint everything before reassembling..at least jam it in colour so that it could be painted when together so that you don't see any original colour...... Soooo, I got it all propose red up and the next morning took a look...the whole thing went to **** and there was a terrible reaction between the primer and the top layer of paint...so I spent the whole day stripping it back to bare metal.... We had the primer layer, the black layer, an orange layer and then an Arles layer...... In the process some of the rivets looked like caca from the sanding so I removed them, sanded the area and then installed new rivets....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

fishEH

Explorer
If you look at the configuration of a 110 double cab it is clear to see that it is not capable of carrying the same payload as a 110 pickup, hi-cap etc etc... This truck is not being built to be a work horse or to tow your mums oversized perrywinkle blue caravan around... The disco axle setup lends itself to being much more user friendly and easily serviced or upgraded with different axles, diff ratios, locking diffs (air or automatic) etc etc.. I am yet to see a disco diff fail, sure I've seen axles break but I've seen them break in Salisbury diffs too.. He vast majority of trucks being built nowadays are being fitted with the disco drive trains..and for the record all of the bearings and components in the P38 diff are the same defender or p38... And I've replaced more p38 diffs than any other Land Rover diffs..usually the front but that's more to do with the direction of rotation and splash lubrication..but just to appease the naysayers here, I will keep the Salisbury diff and the next owner can install it if he so desires...(betting that won't happen though ) now can we just move on for gods sake.........

My disco diff failed, just sayin'. ;)

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Yeah, and it was a piece of cake to remove it wasn't it...!!!?.:).. And I'm sure you can pick up another unit nearby coz they are everywhere....annnnd, even if they aren't you can have one shipped from almost anywhere quickly, easily and cheap...try doing that with a sals...lol..

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Well I am now back where I was a couple of days ago, except that my hands ache and there's paint dust in every crevice of my body.....and yes, I mean every crevice...:)

image.jpg

The Rover Shop

Explorer
What...no comments on my beverage..???? You people aren't real attentive to the small details..:)..
Haven't done much painting over the last couple of years so I'm kinda enjoying getting back into the swing of things... Quite happy with the way it's turning out, neighbors probably aren't real happy with me though...lotsa noise and paint smell...
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Replacement panels were welded in and seam sealed all joints to make double sure..converted bulkhead to LHD and only cut out the opening for the brake pedal since this is going automatic..any small rusty sections showing up were treated a couple of times with osphocote and then self etching base primer.. Primered and then base coat and cleared from just about every angle... I'm happy with the results...I can state reassembling at t
Least the major bits now...installed stainless steel brake lines from front to back..nice bit of kit...expensive but someone will be thankful..:)

Last edited:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Decided to paint the chassis with clear coat, just to stop staining and give it that shiny look, plus the chassis paint isn't UV resistant.. Looks great..plus much easier to do now before the body is installed..
image.jpg

Under coated the rear tub with some serious truck bed liner undercoating Mounted the body, it's good to see some serious progress...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Kgh

Let’s go already!
We noticed the beer, but did not want to see AUS revoke your citizenship.

The truck is moving along nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior