Introduction: 1990 GD300

Greetings G Folk! I thought I would throw up a thread, introducing myself and my new-to-me G-Wagen.

I just picked up a 1990 300GD, and have spent that last few weeks getting aquatinted. I have been eyeing the G's for a few years now (mainly drooling over Scott's G), and finally got the guts to take the dive! I have been driving Toyotas for 16 years now, mostly Land Cruisers. This is certainly uncharted waters for me, but so far so good.

Anyhow, the vehicle details are as follows. It is a 1990 300GD freshly imported from Germany and is a fairly bare bones model with not much more than power windows. It does however have a Mercedes factory winch bumper which is pretty nice. It came to me needing some basic mechanical attention, most of which I have completed. There is a little more tweaking to get it 100%, but for the most part it is functional and reliable. Now comes the fun stuff! This will be my daily driver and year-round photography rig so I am starting the "build" process. First up was a Frontrunner Slimline roofrack which is truly amazing. Next on the list is 33" tires, a suspension upgrade (TBD), and a Frontrunner Storage System for the back. I am also looking to swap out the NA603 in the next few months. The NA603 is a great motor, but I simply need more power for all the weight I carry and the distances I travel on the highway. The two candidates are a 603a or a 606 (please feel free to comment!!) paired with the stock transmission. Future projects will include all the "standard" adventure rig upgrades such as LED light bars, winch, dual batteries, navigation platform, and upgraded skid plates.

My first impressions of the G platform have been positive. I love the heavy tank-like build of the G. Its utterly impressive that a 25 year old truck could actually be better sound insulated and smoother riding than my 2007 Tacoma! I am also impressed with the G's visibility, which when compared to the Tacoma is significantly better. I can't wait to get it on a trail and test out its coil suspension, and the locking differentials.

Let the fun begin!

Cheers,

Jon Rutherford

_K2A6056.jpg_K2A6065.jpg_K2A6063.jpg_K2A6068.jpg_K2A6072.jpg

Last edited:

JKU87

Adventurer
Beautiful rig and congrats. Where in MA are you? I'm in Boston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Looks like a nicer interior than I would have expected in a 1990s G - was it updated or something? So this has an automatic tranny?

Yes, Automatic. From what I can tell, it is the stock interior. Its definitely been repainted, so maybe they reupholstered the interior as well?

Looks like a nicer interior than I would have expected in a 1990s G - was it updated or something? So this has an automatic tranny?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz