TJs M101 CDN2 trailer build

mamefreak

Trailer - M101 CDN2 Trailer

Purpose - To haul it behind my Jeep Wrangler for camping, general use, and auto shows.

Goal: To match the style of my Jeep as close as possible.

My adventure started as most do on CraigsList.
I purchased a " Garden Trailer" for $50 which turned out to be a Bantam T-3 Military use trailer. ( Not a T-3C - Civilian trailer)

I brokered a deal to trade it to a fine gentleman from Montreal Canada for a M101 CDN2 trailer.
Below is my build and progress.

mamefreak

Note: all removed parts are going to a friend to help him restore his trailer.

rzy4bn6.jpg

kq6UKj2.jpg

Ku2VOjh.jpg

New hubs to convert the bolt pattern to 5x4.5 to match Jeep.
http://i.imgur.com/AQ4SLzv.jpg

Test fit hubs in new tires - 33x12.5R15 Goodyear MTR Kevlar
q6sW0MV.jpg

Tires replaced - this wheel is missing black center cap
FCVpVVm.jpg

mamefreak

Rear view with new tires
kDpxPtW.jpg

Pintle lock for security
GdGVBIS.jpg

Black out TJ style tail lights - match ones on Jeep
7PoxBmL.jpg

Blackout license plate cover - match Jeep cover
pVtQDXI.jpg

mamefreak

Now my jeep is completely blacked out and the trailer needs to match; on issue. The triangle rear reflectors.

So I unbolted one and set about finding a way to black them out.
Im not a fan of NightShade over red plastic as they still look red and bad.

So I disassembled one of the original units and found that the plastic triangles could have their back removed.
Mine are not in great shape
xP1QGml.jpg

atvjbbe.jpg

So I figured maybe I could mold these reflectors and recast them in clear plastic and then tint them
( I have absolutely no experience in doing any of this )

At this same time I managed to find some of these reflectors for sale in the UK and ordered them
They turned out to be far better than the originals as they have a plastic surrounding frame and all the smaller triangles are free to be removed when the support section is removed.
This is far preferable to the original hard rubber in metal frame.
Total cost $20 for the pair including shipping.
IPge1s8.jpg

So I purchased the following materials and am currently in the process of molding new reflectors.
UyCkUYg.jpg

My first attempt at molding
trSxgzM.jpg

eZHGT0R.jpg

looks like it should work well. Just have to wait 24 hours for full cure and I can start the casting.

Boatmonkey

Observer
Looks great! I have the exact same trailer that I just bought. Any more info on the hubs? Where did you purchase them? I'm looking for 5X5 for my JK but I've heard that there are fitment issues with some of the aftermarkets on the original axle. Also, what's the backspacing of your rims on the trailer? Thanks.

xnavy8or

Your reflectors

I realize this thread is a year old, but do you happen to remember from whom you bought the reflectors, I would love to get a pair

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke