Adventures of "Sally Ross" Fuso Camper by Phoenix Pop Up Campers PHXFG

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
We actually spent more time scouting the climbing area (our first time) and only climbed a little on Mural wall. The area has endless potential for both climbing and enjoying some remote camping. It was a perfect trip for us. On Sunday we stopped at the Oil Well Flats mtn bike area and had an awesome time also. You can crash up there too.

IMG_5634.jpg

IMG_5611.jpg

IMG_5640.jpg

IMG_5643.JPG

IMG_5602.jpg

Healeyjet

Explorer
What a great life you have built!!

A couple questions.

1) Now that you have some seat time in the truck with the bikes out front how do you like it?

2) I read on the blog that your daughter has started riding already and that is great. My question, until she is old enough to go for longer distances, where does the ride when you mountain bike? Do you pull a Chariot off-road or use the Big Dummy or do you end up each going out solo while she stays behind? I have watched your video now so I know you pull a Chariot on pavement. I guess the same question would go for :REAdvRockClimber::rappel: .

Ward

Last edited:

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Hello Ward

First of all, your truck build looks on point! Really excited to see that on the trail.

Bikes out front: So I like being able to see them, and on the Fuso, they don't stick out the front very far because of the cab over situation. The Fuso does bounce like CRAZY when it hits a big bump, so the bikes jump around and make me cringe sometimes on the highway. We are replacing our Thule rack with a 1upUSA (https://www.1upusa.com/bicycleracks.html) that I'm hoping will hold the tires a little tighter. So far we haven't lost a bike LOL. The alternative of hauling the bikes up on top is not a good option in my opinion and we don't have a hitch in the back, so it was the best option for us.

We are looking to add a Rhino Rack with a Pioneer platform over the cab and at times, might put the bikes up there for whatever reason.

The fact that our daughter can now ride a bike has been a blessing and a curse... We used to pull her in a Chariot and still do have a Yepp seat that we put on the back of my Surly Big Dummy for gravel grinding and road riding. For the most part, my wife and I just alternate hanging with her and mtn biking. The Fuso gives us an AMAZING area to hub out of while the other is out knocking down miles. This weekend our little lady actually biked on some very moderate single track, so maybe we are only a year or so away from truly riding as a family.

As for climbing, our daughter plays in the dirt and waits for her turn to climb. We have a body harness for her that she thinks is the coolest thing. She never really climbs much higher that about 10 feet and instead chooses to swing on the rope.

Kids only know what we teach them. She's lived her 3 years as an outdoor and adventurous kid who isn't afraid to try anything. We've learned a ton from her.

Cheers

Butch

Last edited:

Healeyjet

Explorer
Thanks Butch.

We bought a Chariot 25 years ago to pull our now 25 year old son. It worked perfect for us and it went on to have a long life after we were done with it 15 years ago. I figured you would just trade off but wondered if you had found an alternative. The added weight of a child up high I found throws off the balance a bit too much for my comfort level. You log a lot more bicycle seat time than I ever did so I am sure you feel a lot more comfortable.
I got a Surly Pug last year and have to do more winter riding than I do. Problem is up here it get's cold cold and I feel the need to hibernate in the winter. :coffee: We ride much more in the warmer months.

I would love to see your Phoenix so yes we will have to hook up somewhere along the way. Hopefully we will be going to Expo this year but will have to see yet. Our 25 year old who I pulled in the Chariot is now getting married in June, LOL. Stay busy with that little one. I know you have heard it many times but they grow up so darn fast.

Have a great afternoon.

Ward

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Folks have been asking for interior shots. It's so much harder to capture the inside, but here goes.

IMG_5648.jpg

IMG_5651.JPG

IMG_5649.jpg

IMG_5650.JPG

IMG_5647.jpg

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Great setup Butch, and some fantastic pics. Thank you for sharing. You have some awesome times ahead of you and the Fuso will serve you well.
The Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform works well for us (at the moment we use it for storing our 4 x MaxxTrax). We have the platform that is designed for our style of truck..not just a repurposed one designed for say a Nissan Patrol or Landcruiser.

Off to have a read of your blog now. One day we will get to the States to discover your amazing country.

Cheers
Steve

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
@Steve4wdaus

Can you elaborate on what model Pioneer Platform you have? I'm torn between the Rhino Rack and the Frontrunner at the moment.

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers

Butch

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hey Butch,
The Pioneer Platform we have is the 928 X 1426. In Australia, the model is the 42112B. Actually on my invoice it was code RH42112B. Plus there is are specific Fuso leg kits and attachment plate kits available. If you need some codes for those parts let me know. I don't know the other rack so can't comment, but so far we are happy with our rack.
I will try to upload a pic of our truck with the rack on. I should add that my truck is a 2007 FG649.
Cheers...Steve

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Butch, further to my last post, here is a pic of our truck, showing the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform.
Hope that is of interest

image.jpeg

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Ok everyone, here is the invoice for my Rhino Rack, from Roof Racks Galore in Brisbane. Hope this helps identify the individual components needed. Keep in mind I have the FG649..can't say whether the same configuration works for other models.

Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 6.04.34 PM.jpg

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
@steve4wduas Great info, thanks! I think this is the direction we are going to for a roof rack. It's a perfect place for the Maxtrax/other odds and ends.

Cheers

Butch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior