Plasti Dip longevity on wheels?

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
But that's sort of the point. Yes, there's "prep" with plastidip, but all that really means is to make sure whatever you're about to dip is clean beforehand. You can plastidip your wheels during commercial breaks while you're watching TV for an hour or two. You don't even have to take the wheels off the car. No it won't last forever, but it's so quick and easy to do, I'd rather re-dip my wheels every 12 months than paint or powdercoat them.

I like the way it looks, personally but YMMV. FWIW, I did these wheels back at the beginning of October. They've been rotated at the tire store, power washed several times, and run through the automatic car wash (with brushes) a few times. I really can't complain.

20160122-DSCF0798-HDR_zpskdhp4e6h.jpg

Thanks for a reply with pics and some history of usage. Dumb question, is that considered "matte black"? or standard black, whatever color PD calls it?

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
I PD'd my winter wheels on my challenger. The wheels started painted grey from the factory. I didn't remove the tires. Cleaned the wheels really well, and wiped them down with lacquer thinner before spraying. Took 3 coats.

IMG_20111219_101535.jpg

The coats lasted great, through many miles and hand washes. I had them for 2 years and sold the car, and the wheels to my friend. He's still running them, they still look great, no peeling, after 4 or 5 seasons now. All told it cost me like 35 bucks.

IMG_20111222_154720.jpg

More recently, I PD'd my aluminum fairing. So far so good! I love the stuff. It's flexible, super simple to touch up if you scratch it or remove a wheel weight, and cheap!

20151022_173343.jpg

20151116_093015.jpg

Happy dipping!

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
One more thing, I used index cards pushed in between the rim and tire to keep the tire paint free - worked great.

Picture from the internet

16.jpg

M35A2

Tinkerer
Could you elaborate on why you feel this way? I probably wouldn't use it to paint my entire car, but I really can't see why you wouldn't use it for things like wheels or emblems. It really is surprisingly durable for what it is. I don't see the point in spending the time, money, and effort on powder coating rims on a vehicle that's going to get used "for real". They're just going to get scratched and you won't be able to touch them up.

I think there's a strong argument to be made that if you want to change the color of your wheels, plastidip is the way to go for a vehicle that will get used "for real"... and that powder coating is for the show-n'-shine crowd.

I never mentioned powder coating. Powder coating is, if we are talking about hard usage, just as pointless as PD. Powder coating is not easily touched up - items that are used for real do get scratched - and we have all seen powder coated items rusting away from underneath the powder coat.

If you are obsessed with constantly changing the color of your wheels and emblems, you have answered your own question.

The best coating for metal that is used is --- wait for it --- paint.

There is a reason you don't see powder coated or plastic dipped locomotives, oil rigs, airplanes or bridges.

karlmagnum

Observer
Plastidip is not the best but it can last for several months depending on the number of coats you put and how you clean/maintain it.

TheGetLostTaco

We go places
I used BBQ grill high temp flat black on mine and in 2 years, 2 heavy snow seasons and several off-roading adventures they look like I just sprayed them. Plus the 4 cans of paint only cost me $12.46 at Lowes vs the $7.99 a can for plasti-dip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1stDeuce

Explorer
It seems like this comes up once in a while, so I'll give my $.02. Plasti-dip is GREAT if you want to alter a lease vehicle, or you just aren't sure you'll like what you're doing... I've not been able to "peel" it off like they show either, but I've never waxed what I was dipping beforehand.

I plasti-dipped the wheels on my 2500 several years ago. (See truck build thread below...) I wanted them white, and the wheels were otherwise nice, and I thought I might not like the white, so plasti-dip "made sense". It's still holding up fine, but it does hold dirt some, and I wouldn't do white again, as it's expensive and doesn't cover as well.

I also did the rear chrome bumper in black, which looked nice, but when I went to sell the bumper, I found that it didn't just "peel" off. I ended up using a sticker removal wheel in my drill... I hate to think what a mess getting the white off my wheels is going to be...

Mostly, I just paint everything now. I wipe with acetone, scotchbrite a bit, and then shoot stuff with the rustoleum 2x cover paint that says "Also bonds to plastic". I've painted wheels, Jeep fender flares, grilles, etc. I have found that paint doesn't stick well to chrome or chromed plastic, but I know that PD does, so that's the one place where PD works, and paint doesn't.

I say go with what works. Plasti-dip sticks far better to chromed stuff, and works for non-permanent color changes (with wax first?) but use paint for better durability on surfaces that can be "scuffed" with scotchbrite.

I don't bother having anything powder coated. I'm too hard on stuff, and once it gets chipped, rust starts and it just blows off. Great for show cars, or mall crawlers, but I'd rather paint and touch up my working junk. :)

Box Rocket

Everyone knows that PD has become very popular especially with "bros" driving imports or coal rollers. :) There will always be those who think it's a "kiddie" or cheap "ghetto" solution. In the right application it has it's place and works very well. It can be a great solution for wheels. I have used it on wheels in the past and removed it and went back to painting them. The reason I did this was because I did a trip that involved a LOT of mud and the wheels were covered in it for several days. The mud stained the plastidip to the point that washing would not get them clean. That's the only time I've used it for wheels, but I've painted several sets of wheels with great results and cleaning is obviously easier with paint.
On the flip side however, I have used PD for other things like covering the chrome grill. Before PD was popular I had painted the chrome on grills but even with good prep it would chip fairly easily from rock chips etc. I tried using platidip instead a few years ago on the grill of my Tacoma and without question it is easier, looks great and because it's somewhat "rubbery" it will hold up to rock chips really well and is very chip resistant.
After 4 years and still looked good. These photos were the ones I used when I sold the truck.

I was so pleased with how it worked on the grill of my Tacoma, I more recently used it for the grill of my Land Cruiser. The clearcoat was peeling on my door handles and fender flares of my Cruiser so I tried it on those also and it's been great. In fact, during a trip to Moab I dragged one of the flares against a rock. I think the rock had badly scratched the flares, but when I got home I peeled the PD off and was pleasantly surprised that the scratches were only in the PD. Peeled it off and resprayed it and the flares looked new again. Again, it's pretty chip resistant so has worked well on my flares.
Peeling clearcoat on my flares

Door handles and flares after PD

Scratched flare

Chrome grill. No prep necessary other than cleaning the grill. This way the PD can be removed and the factory chrome is still in perfect condition.

after PD

most recent photo 1.5 years later.

Again, there are things it works great for and others not so much. I also find that many of the strongest "nay-sayers" have never used it and comment on how bad it is based on examples of poorly executed examples from the internet. Regardless, PD is not some magic solution that is superior to all other finishes. Paint, powdercoat, bedliner etc can be a better solution for certain things, but PD is a great solution for some things.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Everyone knows that PD has become very popular especially with "bros" driving imports or coal rollers. :) There will always be those who think it's a "kiddie" or cheap "ghetto" solution. In the right application it has it's place and works very well. It can be a great solution for wheels. I have used it on wheels in the past and removed it and went back to painting them. The reason I did this was because I did a trip that involved a LOT of mud and the wheels were covered in it for several days. The mud stained the plastidip to the point that washing would not get them clean. That's the only time I've used it for wheels, but I've painted several sets of wheels with great results and cleaning is obviously easier with paint.
On the flip side however, I have used PD for other things like covering the chrome grill. Before PD was popular I had painted the chrome on grills but even with good prep it would chip fairly easily from rock chips etc. I tried using platidip instead a few years ago on the grill of my Tacoma and without question it is easier, looks great and because it's somewhat "rubbery" it will hold up to rock chips really well and is very chip resistant.
After 4 years and still looked good. These photos were the ones I used when I sold the truck.
<removed>
I was so pleased with how it worked on the grill of my Tacoma, I more recently used it for the grill of my Land Cruiser. The clearcoat was peeling on my door handles and fender flares of my Cruiser so I tried it on those also and it's been great. In fact, during a trip to Moab I dragged one of the flares against a rock. I think the rock had badly scratched the flares, but when I got home I peeled the PD off and was pleasantly surprised that the scratches were only in the PD. Peeled it off and resprayed it and the flares looked new again. Again, it's pretty chip resistant so has worked well on my flares.
<removed>
<removed>
Scratched flare
<removed>
Chrome grill. No prep necessary other than cleaning the grill. This way the PD can be removed and the factory chrome is still in perfect condition.
<removed>
after PD
<removed>
<removed>
Again, there are things it works great for and others not so much. I also find that many of the strongest "nay-sayers" have never used it and comment on how bad it is based on examples of poorly executed examples from the internet. Regardless, PD is not some magic solution that is superior to all other finishes. Paint, powdercoat, bedliner etc can be a better solution for certain things, but PD is a great solution for some things.

This was a really well-balanced, informative and informed post. Thanks!

C W

Amen! Well said.

Scratched flare

after PD

Acbrumley

Which color did you use on your wheels?

But that's sort of the point. Yes, there's "prep" with plastidip, but all that really means is to make sure whatever you're about to dip is clean beforehand. You can plastidip your wheels during commercial breaks while you're watching TV for an hour or two. You don't even have to take the wheels off the car. No it won't last forever, but it's so quick and easy to do, I'd rather re-dip my wheels every 12 months than paint or powdercoat them.

I like the way it looks, personally but YMMV. FWIW, I did these wheels back at the beginning of October. They've been rotated at the tire store, power washed several times, and run through the automatic car wash (with brushes) a few times. I really can't complain.

20160122-DSCF0798-HDR_zpskdhp4e6h.jpg

I was just curious which color you used on your LX I've got an 06 100 and have bought the anthracite gray but not sure if it's going to be dark enough for me I like what you have going on thanks Ashley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier